Help! Moving HQX file from Windows to BasiliskII corrupts it

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Esn
Space Cadet

Help! Moving HQX file from Windows to BasiliskII corrupts it

Post by Esn »

I installed BasiliskII on x64 Windows 7.

I need to install a HQX file, but I don't know how!

The problem is, how do I GET the file into my emulated Mac volume without having it pass through Windows first, and thereby corrupting it? As you said in an earlier thread:
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
kikkoman wrote:Please note that Mac programs will NOT RUN (will not work) if they reside on a PC volume.
Not only that, but when a 'classic' mac application was saved decompressed on a PC volume, it will have lost its specific Mac properties (like its resource fork) and will have become useless even when copied to the emulated machine. You need to copy the archive to a volume in the emulated machine and then, as "kikkoman" wrote, unpack/decompress the archive them within the Mac environment.
But this is a catch-22! How can I save it to my Mac volume when Windows Explorer doesn't recognize that volume and I need to first save it in Windows before I can use HFVExplorer to copy it over to my Mac volume?

I thought "maybe I can connect to the internet and download the HQX from within BasiliskII", until I realized that I would need install a browser to do that and I can't do that because I'd run into the same problem!

Please help me, I really need to figure this out today or tomorrow! (the particular program I'm trying to install is DigitPerform171.hqx; I've been given some really old sound files and I need that program to open them)
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Help! Moving HQX file from Windows to BasiliskII corrupt

Post by Cat_7 »

The http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/digital-performer-171 download from mediafire works correctly when copied to Basilisk or SheepShaver using the My Computer feature.

You just can't open/decompress files in Windows, but copying them will often work.

You'll need stuff-it to unpack the sit archive inside the hqx file. And disk copy to open the floppy disk images in the sit file. Then use the updater to version 1.71 before attempting to patch the program...Then restart and you should be good to go.

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

The one other thing you might need to watch with binhex files is line endings -- you don't want to autoconvert them from DOS to Mac line endings, but just leave the files as they are. I think Binhex is line ending agnostic, but if there's anywhere where the files could become corrupt, this is it.

As for the caution, as cat_7 said, it's for decompressing the hqx file in windows -- or decompressing and running from the shared "drive". If you copy everything to a Mac-formatted disk image first, there should be no problem.

This is the classic example of separating data-at-rest from data-in-use.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Mac .hqx files (binhex files) are encoded in a format that will survive any file system as long as you do not decode them outside a Mac file system. That was the whole purpose of encoding classic Mac files into binhex files, to make Mac software moveable along other file systems, transportable over the internet and on non-Mac servers. As Cat_7 wrote, copying a .hqx file from Windows to a Mac volume in BasiliskII using the My Computer feature will work fine. Then decode, and if necessary further decompress, the file inside Mac OS.