Silly sound issue

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Asdam
Space Cadet

Silly sound issue

Post by Asdam »

So I'm having really weird issues with sound in a game called OIDS with Basilisk II running MacOS 7.5.3 R2... First of all the game runs fine other than being silent, but here's the strange part- if I try and run the game at an improper amount of colors (game requires 2 or 16 colors to run) when giving me the error about color depth I actually hear the game's startup sound play *facepalm* does anyone know what might cause this, or potentially how to fix it? :/
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Silly sound issue

Post by adespoton »

It's possible you've found an issue with how sound is interleaved with video in BII -- I'm not going to have a chance to check this for a number of months, but would someone else who has dug into the code like to take a look and see if my suspicions are correct?
johnrpenner
Space Cadet

Re: Silly sound issue

Post by johnrpenner »

> Asdam » So I'm having really weird issues with sound in a game called OIDS
> with Basilisk II running MacOS 7.5.3

im having exactly the same issue — my setup currently is:

Baskilisk II.app for macOS with SDL2 version 1.0 running on macOS 14.1.2 Sonoma

Downloaded: BasiliskII_universal_20231229.zip —> Dec.29.2023

Emulator —> Boot —> MacBootSystem7_5_5.img
System Software 7.5.5 with 32Mb RAM; QuickTime 2.1 from System 7.5.3 installed

If I run Monitors in 256 colour mode — launching OIDS 1.3 results in Hearing the Game Sound for a moment before the Message: OIDS Error #256 OIDS can not run with anything but 2 or 16 colours. Change your monitor to 2 or 16 colours and open OIDS again. [Finder]

so i change my Monitors to 16 colours — and the game runs — but no Sound! 😔

if i go to Apple Menu > Control Panels > Sound > Alert Sounds > Wild Eep [WORKS]

Sound > Output allows both Rate [44.100kHz] 22.05 and 11.025kHz
and Sound with Size: 8bit [16 bit]
and Channels: Mono and [Stereo]

i tried all the variations, thinking that it might need to match the sample rate in the game — no dice. also it doesnt quite make sense either — because I DID hear the game sound at 44.1kHz 16bit Stereo when the Monitors was at 256 colours — so the sound DID come through at that sample rate — just NOT when the colours are set correctly at 16 colours. aaaargh. so close — help me Obi Wan Kenobi.. 🤷🏼‍♂️