Can't run Evocation: The Challenge (La Sfida) in Basilisk II

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ameliashroyer
Space Cadet

Can't run Evocation: The Challenge (La Sfida) in Basilisk II

Post by ameliashroyer »

Hi! I've been struggling with trying to figure this out all week. I finally found the name of a demo game I played in a mac pack game set I got as a kid. Evocation: La Sfida was originally an Italian game released in 1994. I downloaded the full demo in Italian and English from MacintoshGarden. I set up Basilisk II as per the guide here, and some other games work on it.

The problem I have with the Evocation game is that when I double click the game to start, an error window pops up but there is no text. If I click the button, the game appears to start (shows the first screen) but then freezes. I tried to find some other sources to get the original game but I haven't had any luck yet.

I coincidentally can't get any version of Hypercard to install on Basilisk, but it shouldn't be required for this game. I also installed Quicktime 4 just to be safe. I would really love to play this game, so any help would be greatly appreciated!
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: Can't run Evocation: The Challenge (La Sfida) in Basilis

Post by 24bit »

Seems to work here with BII and SS.

Click the "Evocation Final" button on top of the splash screen.

Hope that helps.
ameliashroyer
Space Cadet

Post by ameliashroyer »

I must be doing something wrong then. I tried to reinstall Basilisk again in case I messed up the settings. I tried a Quadra ROM and a Performan ROM to see if it made any difference. Once I unstuff the .sit file for the game and try to start it, this is what happens:

Also, it's worth noting (maybe?) that the desktop on my version is mostly in black and white. There must be something I've messed up here. Can you think of anything I might have done wrong?
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Looks like full screen your BII setting?
The splash screen is indeed on a black desktop.
Did you try to run Evocation from the Unix volume by mistake maybe?
Unimplemented Trap was FPU related sometimes. Check your settings for a 68030 with FPU or 68040.

My IBM notebook runs 10.6, but I don´t think thats an issue here.
ameliashroyer
Space Cadet

Post by ameliashroyer »

I accessed Evocation from Unix, but I think I tried copying it to the desktop before I ran it. Do I need to copy it/move it somewhere else?

Here are the GUI settings I'm using for BII on my Macbook Pro (OS 10.8.5):
Volumes - MacOS 7.5.3
Graphics - Window; 30 Hz; 1024 x 768; /dev/dsp; /dev/mixer
Keycodes file installed
Serial - slirp
Memory/Misc - 64; Mac IIci (MacOS 7.x); 68040; Quadra 900 ROM; 2 boxes checked
JIT Compiler - All boxes checked; 2048 Cache

The only other program I've installed in my virtual environment is Aladdin Expander 5.5

Could there be necessary software I'm not running? I also tried to run this game in a pre-loaded bundle of SheepShaver and it just crashed. Alternatively, I've installed SheepShaver and tried to run the game and got similar errors to when in Basilisk II.

If there are other settings/info I should list, please let me know! Thank you for your help!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

You should never run programs from the Unix disk. Copying them from the Unix disk to the desktop actually still leaves them on the Unix disk. Always copy them to the Mac OS 7.5.x disk first. And then copy to the desktop if you need to.

Best,
Cat_7
ameliashroyer
Space Cadet

Post by ameliashroyer »

Thank you, that's really good to know. So I reinstalled BasiliskII from scratch with the guide again to make sure all the settings were correct. I copied the game to my MacOS753 disk prior to extracting it and running the game. This time the game crashed and I got this error:

It can't be the game file, because it worked for someone else so I'm wondering if I have the wrong system requirements for the game. Should I upgrade to 7.5.5 or later? I couldn't get the game to run in a Mac OS 9 environment on SheepShaver either.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

This error seems memory related. How much memory have you allocated to Basilisk? Please set it to at least 64 Mb,
And I see you are running some screen resolution unknown to the old Mac OS.
Please set your screen resolution to e.g., 800 by 600 or even 640 by 480. And check you colour settings. What does the game expect? 256 colours?

Have you checked the option "Ignore Illegal Memory Accesses" to have Basilisk try to circumvent memory issues/bad programming?

Best,
Cat_7
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I just tried the game. It runs perfectly, but you will have to disable the Basilisk Jit compiler on the JIT Compiler tab in the Basilisk GUI. Otherwise using the icons in the top bar will hang up the game. and Basilisk with it.

Best,
Cat_7