Disable improper shutdown notice in System 7

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

David Foster
Space Cadet

Disable improper shutdown notice in System 7

Post by David Foster »

If you force quit an emulator that is running System 7 and then restart the emulator, a modal dialog will pop up at startup that complains that the computer was shutdown improperly.

Is there a way to disable this dialog permanently?

If there's some kind of "dirty" marker file that is being checked to determine whether the display the dialog, do you know where this marker file is? (I could reset the file to suppress the dialog.)
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Disable improper shutdown notice in System 7

Post by adespoton »

I'll edit this message in a bit with an answer as it's not at my fingertips, but why not just shut down properly? If you just kill the emulator, you risk disk corruption, as there's a disk cache in memory -- not everything you've "written" to disk has necessarily made it back to the disk image properly yet. There's a reason they eventually added that warning -- System 7.0.x was famous for its disk corruption if you didn't close things down cleanly. This was quite a departure from System 6 and earlier where you could just turn off the computer when you were done.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

David Foster wrote:If you force quit an emulator that is running System 7 and then restart the emulator, a modal dialog will pop up at startup that complains that the computer was shutdown improperly.

Is there a way to disable this dialog permanently?

If there's some kind of "dirty" marker file that is being checked to determine whether the display the dialog, do you know where this marker file is? (I could reset the file to suppress the dialog.)
Remove the checkmark from the middle box in this picture:

http://www.guidebookgallery.org/screens ... 53#general

But the advice to shut down properly is far better advice. Sooner or later your system is likely to get messed up enough to stop booting.
David Foster
Space Cadet

Post by David Foster »

emendelson wrote: But the advice to shut down properly is far better advice. Sooner or later your system is likely to get messed up enough to stop booting.
Noted. Thanks!