Basilisk II networking net^Wnot working

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Lotta
Space Cadet

Basilisk II networking net^Wnot working

Post by Lotta »

Hi,

I downloaded the newest incarnation/build just 2hrs ago (http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/basilisk ... 140301.zip). I had an older installation, so I replaced the applications by the newer ones.

Started the GUI-application, tweaked memory setting, pressed START, System 7.1 boots, all fine. But: No (IP) networking.

I tried MacTCP 2.1 and OT 1.3, to no avail. Set manual address, router, DNS, but can’t ping my own router using its IP address (so DNS is not involved). I’m quite familiar with IPv4, so I don’t think I made a mistake there.

Checked settings of BII, but in "Networking" there’s still "slirp", seems to be right. My host system is a MacBook with OS X 10.9.2, latest patchlevel.

With WPMacApp I’m able to get online …

Any hint appreciated, thanks in advance.

Regards
Lotta
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Basilisk II networking net^Wnot working

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Welcome.

Please let us know your TCP/IP settings in Mac OS 7.1
Manual settings should follow the settings you would normally get when setting TCP/IP to DHCP.
So:

Best,
Cat_7
Lotta
Space Cadet

Post by Lotta »

Cat_7 wrote:Hi,

Please let us know your TCP/IP settings in Mac OS 7.1
Manual settings should follow the settings you would normally get when setting TCP/IP to DHCP.
So:

Best,
Cat_7
As you don’t know my network (I hope at least! :-)) I don’t know how helpful this is, but here it is:

IP address: 10.74.0.68
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 10.74.0.100
Name server: 10.74.0.10

from OS X:

$ ping 10.74.0.100
PING 10.74.0.100 (10.74.0.100): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 10.74.0.100: icmp_seq=0 ttl=255 time=1.998 ms
64 bytes from 10.74.0.100: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=2.004 ms
^C
--- 10.74.0.100 ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 2 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 1.998/2.001/2.004/0.003 ms

from System 7: see picture

Regards
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

As said, manual settings should follow the settings you would get when using DHCP with the Slirp networking setting in BasiliskII.
Using Slirp networking activates a local DHCP server built into BasiliskII. It would give you the settings I suggested in my previous post. Sometimes setting TCP/IP to DHCP doesn't result in BasiliskII picking up the data from the built-in DHCP server, so you have to enter them manually.

I hope this clarifies things: you can't expect BasiliskII to have direct access to you local network in the way your screenshot suggests when you use Slirp networking.

If you want that, then perhaps you should look into the specific basiliskII build we have that enables you to use Appletalk. It does require you to install the tun/tap extensions.
Use the first build from this page:
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... f=6&t=8067

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

One other thing I notice is that your System 7 VM has the same IP address as your OS X host. This is going to cause problems for you no matter what you do, as the host will intercept all packets as its personal property before the VM sees them.

Think of the VM as a dialup client to the host, not as an ethernet client on your local network.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Or another explanation:

You can view slirp networking as a built-in router in the emulator that sits between the emulated machine and your local network. Regardless the addresses in your local network, the addresses for slirp networking are (in both BasiliskII and SheepShaver):

IP Address 10.0.2.15
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Router address: 10.0.2.2
Name server address: 10.0.2.3
Lotta
Space Cadet

Post by Lotta »

Cat_7 wrote:Hi,

As said, manual settings should follow the settings you would get when using DHCP with the Slirp networking setting in BasiliskII.

Using Slirp networking activates a local DHCP server built into BasiliskII. It would give you the settings I suggested in my previous post. Sometimes setting TCP/IP to DHCP doesn't result in BasiliskII picking up the data from the built-in DHCP server, so you have to enter them manually.
Aaaaah, now I get it. Thanks. DHCP settings just crash either the application or Basilisk at all, that’s why I never was successful with that.
Cat_7 wrote: I hope this clarifies things: you can't expect BasiliskII to have direct access to you local network in the way your screenshot suggests when you use Slirp networking.
Thanks again. I thought this is a kind of bridge like in VM software, that’s why I’ve picked an address out of my LAN range.
Lotta
Space Cadet

Post by Lotta »

adespoton wrote:One other thing I notice is that your System 7 VM has the same IP address as your OS X host.
No it doesn’t. The IP address of my OS X host is not shown at all :-)
adespoton wrote: Think of the VM as a dialup client to the host, not as an ethernet client on your local network.
Got it. Ta!