Basilisk won't run, disk with blinking ?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Basilisk won't run, disk with blinking ?

Post by starfiretbt »

The basilisk program won't do anything, it opens with an image of a disk with a question mark blinking.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Basilisk won't run, disk with blinking ?

Post by adespoton »

Have you provided it with an appropriate disk image like the fine manual suggests?
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

I did create a hard disk image using the 7.5.3 libraries, all 19 of them, I set the memory to 200 mb just like in the manual and placed it in the basilisk 2 directory
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Did you also download the floppy disk image to boot from? And create an empty disk image to install Mac OS on?

If so, you should use the preferences editor to check whether the floppy disk image is the topmost entry in the volumes list. If not, remove all disk images from the volumes list and start adding them again, beginning with the floppy disk image. Basilisk will always try to boot from the first entry in the list.

http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/bas ... kii_folder

Best,
Cat_7
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

If by floppy disk image you mean the system 70 boot disk then yes, I also made one for the 7.5.3 libraries. I am confused about this mac os disk image as I didn't see it on the setup

http://emaculation.com/doku.php/basilisk_ii_setup

it only showed two volumes being made.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Please open the file BasiliskII_prefs (which should be in your BasiliskII folder) with a text editor and copy its content in your answer. Perhaps we can find out what is keeping you from booting successfully.

Best,
Cat_7
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

disk C:\Users\tbtoliver\Desktop\New folder\BasiliskII\System70_boot.dsk
disk C:\Users\tbtoliver\Desktop\New folder\BasiliskII\install.hfv.dsk
extfs
screen win/512/384
seriala COM1
serialb COM2
udptunnel false
udpport 6066
rom C:\Users\tbtoliver\Desktop\New folder\BasiliskII\quadra650.rom
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 8388608
frameskip 6
modelid 5
cpu 3
fpu false
nocdrom false
nosound false
noclipconversion false
nogui false
jit true
jitfpu true
jitdebug false
jitcachesize 8192
jitlazyflush true
jitinline true
keyboardtype 5
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
ignoresegv true
idlewait true
enableextfs false
debugextfs false
extdrives CDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
pollmedia true
etherpermanentaddress true
ethermulticastmode 0
routerenabled false
ftp_port_list 21
portfile0 C:\B2TEMP0.OUT
portfile1 C:\B2TEMP1.OUT
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

So... System70_boot.dsk is your known-bootable floppy image, and install.hfv.dsk is the HD image that you copied the 7.5 install tomes onto?

Considering you're using a Quadra 650 ROM, you might need to use at least System 7.1 to boot. It shoudl show you an error or puzzled mac when it first attempts to boot though.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I tried to run Basilisk with config file. Nothing is wrong with it.
Perhaps you should download a fresh copy of the system7 disk image.

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

adespoton wrote:Considering you're using a Quadra 650 ROM, you might need to use at least System 7.1 to boot.
Quadra 650 ROM is OK in BasiliskII for System 7.0, as long as model is set to MacIIci in GUI, modelid 5 in prefs file. (Model can be set to Quadra 900 after 7.5.3 installation.)
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

That worked. I think what happened is I saw the file in the zipped folder and simply dragged it into my basilisk folder without unzipping it.

However now I have a new problem, now when I try to install the system 7.5.3 files I get an error that says "the checksum is invalid (expected $0057D6B4, calculated $0033974D)." I noticed there is another post to this same problem and they solved it by "getting a 2006 version." A 2006 version of what the system 7.5.3 files? A different rom image?

Do I need to start another post, move this conversation to that post, or is staying here fine?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

It seems disabling the JIT compiler on the GUI tab "Jit Compiler" will get you around this issue. You can enable it again after you installed Mac OS.

Best,
Cat_7
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

Thank you its working now, everything is installed.

However in order to get any programs I need stuffit expander right? The guide recommends using HFVExplorer to drag the Stuffit files to my install.hfv disk image, but that image doesn't show up on HFVExplorer. It says I can use Basilisk II GUI to "drag files from your windows system to your emulated Macintosh." Do they mean literally in that I can just drag stuffit somewhere? Where is my emulated macintosh? Is it the basilisk program? Is it the install.hfv file? Do I need to drag it using Basilisk II GUI and if so how? Is it the "mount drives" option on Basilisk II GUI and if so how do I mount? Do I just type stuffit_expander_55 next to "mount drives?" I am afraid to try for fear of screwing up the system.
Silent Flamer
Master Emulator

Post by Silent Flamer »

starfiretbt wrote:Thank you its working now, everything is installed.

However in order to get any programs I need stuffit expander right? The guide recommends using HFVExplorer to drag the Stuffit files to my install.hfv disk image, but that image doesn't show up on HFVExplorer. It says I can use Basilisk II GUI to "drag files from your windows system to your emulated Macintosh." Do they mean literally in that I can just drag stuffit somewhere? Where is my emulated macintosh? Is it the basilisk program? Is it the install.hfv file? Do I need to drag it using Basilisk II GUI and if so how? Is it the "mount drives" option on Basilisk II GUI and if so how do I mount? Do I just type stuffit_expander_55 next to "mount drives?" I am afraid to try for fear of screwing up the system.
I haven't really heard that before (although I don't read the guides that much, or at least haven't in a long time), but as I remember, you can indeed drag files from Windows onto the Macintosh to MOUNT them as disks. Clearly that won't work with files. For that, you're going to need another method of file transfer. If the file is archived properly in a .sit format (or an old .zip format), you can use the Windows File Transfer option in the GUI (forgot the actual function name, but you can mount your Windows filesystem as a "disk" in your emulated Macintosh). I'd recommend against it, but that's just my personal taste.

I personally used Mini vMac often too, so I usually used ImportF1 and Export F1 to manage file transfers between my Windows and a "Transport Disk", of which I mounted to Basilisk II to grab the files. That's how I did it.

I think I saw someone mention somewhere that you can place files into disk using HFVExplorer. I tried that before; didn't work. Maybe you can test it out, it might work.

Also, your emulated Macintosh is your Basilisk II window when you start it up.
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

Keywords from the guide are here:
If you check the “Enable My Computer” box in the Volumes tab of the Basilisk II GUI, you can drag files from your Windows system to your emulated Macintosh, forgoing the use of HFVExplorer.
To be specific, if that option is enabled, you should have a "My Computer" item on the Macintosh desktop after you start Basilisk II (i.e. on "your emulated Macintosh") which will allow access to files stored elsewhere on your computer (i.e. "your Windows system").

Stuffit should be able to decompress a .sit file copied to your emulated Macintosh in this manner, but of course first you have to get Stuffit there yourself, and for that HFVExplorer is the best option. To get install.hfv to show up in HFV explorer, I think you have to open it from HFVExplorer's File menu first.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

First, download stuff-it expander from here: http://www.emaculation.com/basilisk/stu ... der_55.bin The easiest place to put the file is in the same location where you have the other files you want to access in Mac OS 7.5.

There are two ways to get files into you Mac OS 7.5 running in BasiliskII. Start with the first method. Later on you can set the preferences so you have direct access to your Windows drives, as described in the second method.

1. Use HFV explorer. Do not run BasiliskII. Open HFV explorer, go to to File menu, choose Open volume. Browse to your install.hfv.dsk file, select it and click Open. Its contents will be displayed in HFV explorer's right pane. Next, use HFV explorer's list on the left to navigate to the location where you downloaded stuff-it expander and the other files you want. Make them show up in the pane on the right. Select the files and drag them onto the Mac OS 7.5 disk icon on top of the list on the left. Answer OK to any questions asked. Close HFV explorer.

2. Set "Enable My Computer" in the GUI, and enter the drive letters of one or more Windows drives to access after "Drives to mount". So tick the box and enter C or perhaps CD in the field. Take care not to enter the drive letter of your CD/DVD device. Start Basilisk, and use the My Computer icon on the desktop to navigate to the location of the files you want to access. Drag them onto the Mac OS 7.5 disk. Do not drag them onto the desktop. Open the files with stuff-it expander (or any other program that can open them).

Start Basilisk, and your files should be on the disk Mac OS 7.5. Stuff-it appears as Aladdin Expander 5.5 installer. Double click that file and install the program. Next, open your other files with Stuff-it expander, un-stuff them and run whatever it is that you are installing.

Best,
Cat_7
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

I have enabled my computer on the BasiliskGUI but its not showing up, I am showing my preferences again.

disk C:\Users\tbtoliver\Desktop\New folder\BasiliskII\System70_boot.dsk
disk C:\Users\tbtoliver\Desktop\New folder\BasiliskII\install.hfv.dsk
extfs
screen win/512/384
seriala COM1
serialb COM2
udptunnel false
udpport 6066
rom C:\Users\tbtoliver\Desktop\New folder\BasiliskII\quadra650.rom
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 8388608
frameskip 6
modelid 5
cpu 3
fpu false
nocdrom false
nosound false
noclipconversion false
nogui false
jit true
jitfpu true
jitdebug false
jitcachesize 8192
jitlazyflush true
jitinline true
keyboardtype 5
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
ignoresegv true
idlewait true
enableextfs true
debugextfs false
extdrives CDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
pollmedia true
etherpermanentaddress true
ethermulticastmode 0
routerenabled false
ftp_port_list 21
portfile0 C:\B2TEMP0.OUT
portfile1 C:\B2TEMP1.OUT

Also install.hfv.dsk doesn't show up in hfvexplorer

[Edited]
Nevermind, my computer is showing up again on my booted mac and I found the stuffit expander program but it won't do anything, it says "could not find the application program that created the document" I tried opening it with simple text but it says its too large and now I can't open it with anything.
Silent Flamer
Master Emulator

Post by Silent Flamer »

Why would you try to open the StuffIt Expander application in SimpleText?

It's an application. It should run by double-click. If it's giving that error, it means the OS thinks it's a file, and doesn't know how to open it (duh). That means the binary data that should come with the application wasn't transfered properly.

Also, it won't run if you try to run it directly from that drive (I believe). Copy the StuffIt Expander file from where you found it into one of your Mac disks, then try.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

As I said earlier, you need to copy the stuff-it program you downloaded from our site with HFV explorer. That program can unpack the .bin file to something useful in Mac OS.

Best,
Cat_7
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

When I go into my basilisk folder and drag the stuffit_expander file into the install.hfv.dsk it says "Could not open execute..." "there is no application associated with the given filename extension." Can I just remake the install.hfv.dsk with the system 7.5.3 files and the stuffit expander already in it? I understand I will need to reinstall my mac on basilisk.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Please go back to the setup guide and study very carefully the instructions for using HFV Explorer. Take some time to look at the pictures and study them.

Notice especially how you drag the file that you want to copy. First you select it FROM the panel on the right; then you DRAG it over to the very top of the narrow list on the left, and THEN drop it on the name at the very top of the list on the left. That's how a file gets copied on to a disk image.

If you don't see the Select Copy dialog (as shown in the second picture in the guide to HFV Explorer) then you haven't followed the instructions correctly. Just keep trying - very carefully checking and following the instructions each time - until you do see that dialog.

This is not intuitive, and it's not how other Windows apps work. But it does work.
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

It works, I was confused because when I opened hfv explorer the "system 7.5.3" folder was gone so I was trying to move "stuffit" into the disk image and that wasn't working. This time I looked under file and found "open folder" so I opened "system 7.5.3" and dragged "stuffit" into it. The installer icon showed up and I was able to install "stuffit." I was also able to open a game and play it. I wanted to thank everyone for helping me.

I still have some questions as some games seem to have problems but I think some of these questions have already been asked. For example I have a game that doesn't have enough memory to run, but it looks like someone posted that question and the key is to make another volume so I will try that. If I have questions where do I ask them on a new post or do I continue with theirs to keep the topic going?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

starfiretbt wrote:If I have questions where do I ask them on a new post or do I continue with theirs to keep the topic going?
If the discussion in the topic does not answer your question, then better start a new topic. Continuing in a topic with postings about a subject that is only seemingly related is confusing.