need more memory

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

need more memory

Post by starfiretbt »

I am trying to play a game on basilisk 2 and it says "there is not enough memory." I remember there was a thread about that but I can't seem to find it again. I think the solution was to add another volume to basilisk but I am not sure whether I can add a blank volume or if I need to add something to the volume like the 19 system files again.
*Do I need to put the game in the volume because right now my games are in "my computer?"
*Also how do I make a large volume? I remember when I made my first volume for the basilisk program if it had too much space it was "too large."
*If I do have to install the system files will that conflict with the already present installation?
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: need more memory

Post by 24bit »

The old Mac OS could easily be copied from one volume to another without harming it.
For the "Not enough memory" error, if it really is a memory issue rather than a cryptic failure,
you can give every app as much RAM as you wish. (or have)
Click once on the app.
From File menu, select Get Info (command-I)
Depending on the OS version there is either a submenu Memory -
or the Info box displays the app´s memory settings at the bottom.
Type in a reasonable number at the desired size setting.
Close the Info box - done.
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

I've opened the app. The only thing I can affect is the comments box, the minimum size requirements and the preferred size. The suggested size is only 950k but everything else is 15,000k. I am guessing you claim I should lower the minimum size, will that affect the app in any negative way?

Also for more memory in the basilisk I am still confused about adding volumes and I am worried about messing basilisk up. It took some work to get it working so my previous questions about how to add volumes still stands.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Increase the apps preferred RAM size and see how you fare.

Additional volumes may be added via the Volumes GUI.
You might try this 6GB image meant for PearPC: http://www.emaculation.com/pearpc/macosx_6gb.rar
If you want such a big one. :)

1GB or 2GB images may be created from the emulator´s GUI.
The windows vary depending on your host OS.

For mounting additional volumes, use the Add... button, navigate to the new hardfile and click OK.

Do not try to run any apps from "My Computer" or if they are dragged to the Mac desktop.
Always copy the apps to the emulated Macs HDD or a folder on the emulated HDD.
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

So can I just add a volume or do I need to put something in that volume like system files? Also won't increasing preferred ram on an app just make it harder to run? Don't I need to decrease it? And again will that affect the app negatively? There is a suggested size number, is that the minimum amount I can decrease the memory required before the app doesn't work?

Why is running apps from "my computer" bad? Are you saying I need to move apps to my volumes? And if so where are my volumes located on my computer?

[edited]

I tried lowering the minimum memory required and the game works, it would make me sleep easy if I knew that won't affect the game badly, and I would still like to know if I can just add blank volumes or if I need to add something to them. I also would like to know what would happen if I moved my games to one of these volumes from "my computer." For example, where would the game files go? I seem to remember the volume was originally a file called "install.hfv" but can a single file store multiple game data?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

starfiretbt wrote:I tried lowering the minimum memory required and the game works, it would make me sleep easy if I knew that won't affect the game badly, and I would still like to know if I can just add blank volumes or if I need to add something to them. I also would like to know what would happen if I moved my games to one of these volumes from "my computer." For example, where would the game files go? I seem to remember the volume was originally a file called "install.hfv" but can a single file store multiple game data?
To move a file from "My Computer" to the virtual disk used by Basilisk II, you drag the icon from the "My Computer" window and drop it onto the "Macintosh HD" icon (or into folder that you can see when double-click the Macintosh HD icon to open it as a window). It doesn't really matter where the files go after you drop them into the Macintosh HD icon. (Remember, if you only drag it to the desktop, it does NOT go into your virtual HD and will probably not work correctly.)

Why not just try it and see what happens?

As for the other questions, again, why not just try it yourself and see what happens? You can't do any harm. And if you want to feel safe, back up the entire Windows folder that contains your Basilisk II setup and virtual hard disk before you make any changes.
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

Whats the "Macintosh HD" icon? Is that the basilisk program or the system 7.5.3 harddisk that shows up when I start basilisk?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

starfiretbt wrote:Whats the "Macintosh HD" icon? Is that the basilisk program or the system 7.5.3 harddisk that shows up when I start basilisk?
It's the icon that shows up on the desktop inside the Basilisk II window. Unless modified, it defaults to "Macintosh HD" as its name.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Let me try to round up a few things for you:

-BasiliskII is the program on your Windows host that emulates the Mac computer. When you start it, it shows the MacOS desktop with access to hard disks.

-BasiliskII uses single files (such as install.hfv) on your Windows host which show up as complete hard disks on the MacOS desktop. These single files are called "volumes" and contain the contents of a MacOS hard disk. In your case its name on the MacOS desktop is Macintosh HD.

-BasiliskII starts MacOS from the first entry in the volumes list in the GUI. This the only volume that needs the MacOS system files.

-You can have more than one volume on your host, which all show up as hard disks on the MacOS desktop.

-BasiliskII can get files into MacOS from your Windows host through the My Computer icon. This only a convenient tool, the disks behind the My Computer icons are Windows disks, which cannot save files as Mac OS would do. So you should not try to run programs from disks you address through the My Computer feature. The fact that windows stores files differently form MacOS is also the reason why some files transferred to Mac OS through the My Computer tool do not work correctly in Mac OS.

-You can open volumes on your Windows host with HFV explorer to insert files into the Mac OS disk structure. The files then show up on the hard disk inside MacOS. Use this solution to transfer files from Windows to Mac OS that do not seem to work after you used the My Computer tool.

Best,
Cat_7
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

Nothing on my emulated mac desktop says Macintosh HD however my volume titled "System 7.5.3" has the files and I'm assuming thats what you mean.

So you are saying I can have multiple, blank volumes and I only need the first on the list to have the system files.

And you are saying that these volumes are where all my apps should be kept and in order to keep them I need to use the HFV explorer to take a downloaded file and put it in the volume merging two files together which will not show up on windows but will show up on an emulated mac.

And you are saying that even though it is a simple file it will hold multiple game data as long as it does not exceed the file size preassigned using HFV.

And last you are saying that any files running through "my computer" I will not be able to save on them from there so I won't be able to alter them from "my computer." Is this correct?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Everything's correct up to the last statement.

"any files running through 'my computer' I will not be able to save on them from there so I won't be able to alter them from 'my computer' " is not correct.

The "My Computer" volume on the desktop is a "window" into your Windows system. However, when files/executables are opened on the Mac, the file system storing the files plays a part in how the files are run. Since your Windows system doesn't store this information and it is not fully emulated by Basilisk II, you usually need to use Basilisk II to copy the files into your virtual hard drive files before you can use them. BII emulates the file transfer part of the file system fairly well from Windows volumes, so copying usually works, but even this is not perfect. Executor does it much better, as it is implementing the Mac file system inside Windows, instead of trying to import the Windows file system as if it were the Mac file system inside Mac OS.

Does that make sense?
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

That sort of makes sense. My understanding of how computer programs works I only have from experience, and I am only somewhat experienced. But it sounds like "my computer" is an english speaker trying to write down something in spanish and it doesn't quite work, so I need to create a volume that speaks the language to properly write down the information.

Whatever limits there are in my understanding the basics are I need to use the HFV explorer to take what files I download and add them to the volume used in Basilisk 2 and from there open them with "Aladdin Stuffit" into the volumes. And if I need more memory I can just add more volumes, there is no need to add anything to the volumes except what old mac programs I want to run.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Almost correct.

"Memory" in computers usually refers to "RAM" or random-access memory. This is where stuff is loaded so the processor can play with it.

The virtual disk images are usually referred to as storage, disk drives, or similar -- they're long-term memory. When software is run, the computer transfers the start of the file on disk to RAM memory, and the instructions in that part of the file tell the processor what to do next.

So, if you want more storage, you add more/larger virtual disks. If you want more memory, you set the memory setting in your prefs file to a higher value.
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

I have been trying to use hfv explorer to add files to my hard disk, since everyone is saying it is bad to run files from "my computer," however when I move a file to the hard disk with hfv explorer it fails and says "HFVExplorer:C:/Mac Games/Solarian_II.img_.hqx:hqx file header not found," what does that mean? Am I choosing the wrong copy mode because I choose "automatic, let the program decide."
Adam P
Tinkerer

Post by Adam P »

Ram Size
Lowering the Minimum Size for the program might not be a good idea, as any given program may need as much (too low and it will crash). (And 15,000 KB is quite a lot for a 68K app.) You should increase the RAM size for the emulator instead—at least 8 MB more than that minimum so the OS has no trouble. (I'd recommend giving Basilisk II at least 32 MB anyway.)

Copying
As far as copying/unpacking files, it's easier to use the Virtual Desktop ("My Computer" within the emulator), and expand the files with StuffIt Expander. The Expander will automatically deal with the formatting of the files (HQX, SIT, ZIP, etc.). You can drag the file to the virtual hard disk (such as your System 7.5.3 disk) and open the file from there, or go to Expander Preferences (File menu) and choose Select Destination so you can open any given file from within My Computer and save the results to the disk image (or anywhere else).

Not only is HFV Explorer limited in its ability to recognize file formats, it requires the user to select an option for moving files out of or onto a disk image unless a default is selected in the explorer options.

If StuffIt Expander does nothing, then the file you are trying to unpack is either corrupted or uses a format that is too new (5.5 is, I think, the last 68K version for Expander).
Do not try to run any apps from "My Computer" or if they are dragged to the Mac desktop.
Always copy the apps to the emulated Macs HDD or a folder on the emulated HDD.
I've run programs out of the Virtual Desktop, so it works for some programs. It's just not a good idea because the patches Basilisk II makes aren't good enough, and so some programs will hang or crash. (Write access for resource forks doesn't work properly.) It's best to launch programs on a disk image. The same goes with saving files (to the disk image, then copy to My Computer).
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

starfiretbt wrote:I have been trying to use hfv explorer to add files to my hard disk, since everyone is saying it is bad to run files from "my computer," however when I move a file to the hard disk with hfv explorer it fails and says "HFVExplorer:C:/Mac Games/Solarian_II.img_.hqx:hqx file header not found," what does that mean? Am I choosing the wrong copy mode because I choose "automatic, let the program decide."
.hqx (aka Binhex) is one of those rare formats that HFVExplorer might be trying to decode automatically. The most direct way to circumvent the problem would be to rename it from .hqx to .blah (or whatever) and then copy it with HFVExplorer, and then hope Stuffit Expander will have better luck decoding it. Or you can try The Unarchiver trick.
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

I got it working, I was able to extract the file from my computer and then move it to the hard disk image. I think something is wrong with the type of file as everytime I open it the game comes up but it says something about not running on a mac II. The game opens with its title screen but when you try to start a level basilisk freezes up. Is there a way to show a screenshot in this forum?
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

You can use a site like sharebin.com or tinypic.com.