So I was playing around with Basilisk II 0.8

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

neozeed
Apple Corer

Re: So I was playing around with Basilisk II 0.8

Post by neozeed »

Cat_7 wrote:Hi,

Getting decent networking capabilities in SheepShaver would also open up the opportunity to run a full-fledged Mac OS 9 AppleShare IP server with dns, mail, web etc., and clients. Should be appealing ;-)
I think you'll be disappointed with the performance. I don't think it's even a JIT constraint as BII in this thread is built without JIT, and it gets incredible performance. :sad:
don't do today what you can put off until tomorrow.
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

So yesterday while I was looking for a DVI cable for my work machine, I found a guy in a stall selling various broken, and used mac stuff.

In his pile o stuff, I spotted this PowerBook G4. I managed to get it for the price of 2 DVI cables, it's sweet thought 1.5Ghz G4, 1.25GB of ram, 80GB disk and a working CD-Drive.

So I've managed to get 10.5.8 installed, X-Code 3.4.1 and a little tweeking I got my build to run!

It has some issues though, the SLiRP code is far more unstable than it is on Intel for some reason. And it could be the G4, but it is FAR slower.. Also it seems to read media sizes wrong there is some work to be done no doubt but I was able to boot off an 8.1 ISO, partition and install a disk image (it sees my 2GB file as 4GB for some reason, must be a block size/page size thing somewhere...) and mostly work OK.

I'm not dead, maybe just hibernating.

Anyways I thought people may want to know. I don't know how many PowerPC refugees there are at this point. Even a 1.5Ghz processor makes firefox seem incredibly slow. But this is a what circa 2005 machine?

:mrgreen:
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I'd recommend rolling back from 10.5.8 to 10.4.11 -- you'll probably have a better experience with it. Aside from that, congrats on reclaiming old hardware!
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

adespoton wrote:I'd recommend rolling back from 10.5.8 to 10.4.11 -- you'll probably have a better experience with it. Aside from that, congrats on reclaiming old hardware!
I was going to roll back to 10.4 so I could run Classic.. I've been kind of dying to play Oni again, but I have to install it first before I even think about running the Intel OS X version.

And then there is the whole MOL thing I want to check out natively... I wonder on x86 via Qemu+Linux PowerPC how insanely slow MOL would be.

It's a cool laptop, kind of funny to put it in perspective of the Macbook Air, as both these 12" models were considered higly portable.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I'd suggest running Arch or Mint on it (Arch would likely do better) -- and I believe Arch even has MOL in its repo :)
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

those sound geared towards real machines though.. although I guess that is the way it goes... do they keep the repos current?

I suspect I'll end up building it all from source anyways.... And watching it all crash/burn.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Arch works great on PPC Macs, and keeps current too :) Mint is a lightweight Debian variant, meaning it's also current and useful. However, I seem to recall people recommending older DebianPPC builds to use with Mint -- making Arch a better choice unless you're up for lots of tweaking.
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

I just found out about this library...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/cdemu/

Apparently it not only emulates a CD-ROM drive @ the SCSI level but also emulates CD-R functionality!!!

I need to do a bunch of work to test this, as of course it's very linux centric, but if I can decapitate it from Linux, it'll make an awesome addition.

And look at the file format support!

supported image formats:
Alcohol 120% (MDS, MDX) image format
BlindWrite 5/6 (B5T, B6T) image format
CloneCD (CCD, SUB, IMG) image format
CDRwin (CUE, BIN) image format
Cdrdao's (TOC, BIN) image format
DiscJuggler (CDI) image format
Easy CD Creator (CIF) image format
Easy Media Creator/WinOnCD (C2D) file format
ISO-9660 (ISO) image format
Nero Burning ROM (NRG) image format
ReadCD (TOC, BIN) image format
Universal Disk Format (UDF) image format
XCDRoast (TOC, BIN) image format
Currently supported container formats:
Apple disk (DMG, CDR) image format
Compressed ISO (CSO) image format
Error Code Modeller (ECM) container format
GZip (GZ) container format
gBurner (GBI) image format
libSndFile supported formats (WAV, FLAC etc.)
PowerISO (DAA) image format
UltraISO's (ISZ) image format
Xz (XZ) container format
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Interesting! Let's see what you can come up with!

Best,
Cat_7
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

Cat_7 wrote:Interesting! Let's see what you can come up with!

Best,
Cat_7
I found it by accident... just been so busy today doing chores. But i have high hopes!