System 7.5.3 01of19.smi file issues

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

jkschmidt
Space Cadet

System 7.5.3 01of19.smi file issues

Post by jkschmidt »

I am very new to emulators and am trying to correctly set up Basilisk II on my Windows 7 64-bit computer. I have been using this website's Setting up Basilisk II for Windows instructions, and the only problem I have run into so far is getting the System 7.5.3 files to download correctly and/or finding a program to read the BIN files. I have so far tried WinISO and Universal Installer, and neither have brought me success. WinISO said that it could not even open the files at all. Universal Installer comes up with an error message for each part of the download, says it cannot find System_7.5.3_01of19.smi.cue, and says that the smi.bin and the smi.cue file are both needed. I have no idea if there is something different I should be doing during downloading or which program I need to be able to read these files. As I have them downloaded currently, when I try to access them in HVFExplorer, HVF does not even recognize the files are there. Please let me know what I can do to get this up and running. I am dying to play some old Mac games! :lol:
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: System 7.5.3 01of19.smi file issues

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I'm guessing you mixed some things up in your trials ;-)

The 19 installer files from Apple should be downloaded and not touched.
-Put them in a folder inside your Basilisk folder.

Use HFV explorer to create a "hard disk". 100 Mb is sufficient.
-File,
-Format new volume
-Fill in Name (InstallerParts)
-Select Volume size 100Mb
-Click arrows pointing right
-Select folder in which you have the basilisk program saved
-Filename: installerparts.hfv
-Click save.

In HFV explorer:
-File
-Open Volume
-Select the file installerparts.hfv you created in the previous step.
-Click Open (you see an empty pane on the right in HFV Explorer). In the left pane, you see InstallerParts as topmost entry.
-In the pane on the left, navigate to the folder with your 19 installer files from Apple. You see them in the pane on the right.
-Use the mouse to drag and select them all.
-Drag the 19 files to InstallerParts in the pane on the left. This copies your files into installerparts.hfv. Ignore warnings or settings, you click OK.
-Click InstallerParts topmost in the left pane. You should see your 19 files.
-Close HFV explorer.

Start the BasiliskGUI.
-Click Volumes. Remove any volumes from the list. (they will not get deleted from your machine)
-Add the floppy disk image you downloaded from the guide.
-Add the installerparts.hfv file you just filled with the 19 parts.
-Click Create and create a "hard disk" of 500 Mb in your Basilisk folder. Call the file MacOS753.hfv
(you should now have three entries under volumes in the order mentioned.)
-Click Memory/Misc.
-Set Ram to 64 Mb, select mac model MacIIci, Cpu type 68030, and browse to your Rom file.
-Set Don't use CPU when idle and Ignore Illegal Memory Accesses
-Click JIT-Compiler. Deselect Translate through constant jumps (inline blocks).

Make sure your Basilisk program is called "BasiliskII.exe" exactly!. Then click Start in the Basilisk GUI. Basilisk starts from the floppy image, and asks you to initialise a new disk. Give the disk a name: MacOS753. And select as format Mac OS Standard 500 Mb.

Open the disk InstallerParts on your desktop.
-Double click the file with the Blue icon (this is System 7.5.3. 01 of 19.smi).
-Click Agree and wait until the file Sys7.5.v7.5.3. CD Inst is created on your desktop.
-Double click this file. You see a program "Installer"
-Double click this program and follow instructions to install Mac OS.
-As destination disk, you choose MacOS753
-Click Install

After installation you quit Mac OS (Special/Shut down). Basilisk also quits.
-Run the GUI, remove both the floppy disk image and installerparts.hfv from the volumes list.
-Click Start. Basilisk should start with the newly installed Mac OS 753.

Next is to get some programs into Mac OS. But first please get basilisk running.

Best,
Cat_7
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

Wow I forgot what a massive hurdle this was to cross... :???:

but at the same time it's great that apple still has 7.5.3 for download.
don't do today what you can put off until tomorrow.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

We don't know if the hurdle has been crossed, as the OP hasn't reacted yet.
It was some early morning getting mentally awake exercise ;-)

Best,
Cat_7
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

I may have accidentally created a bootable ISO of 7.5.3, and tested it with my build to make sure I only have to do this once.... :mrgreen:
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I even have an original retail 7.5.3 install CD (Dutch, though). :smile:
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:I even have an original retail 7.5.3 install CD (Dutch, though). :smile:
Although I have to say 8 is waaaay better than 7. But back in the day, I had one of those coloured iMac's as I was running OS X Server, but I'd boot into OS 8 for ONI..

I haven't played that game in ages, I wonder if I even still have a dump of it. The sad thing about relocating is you end up losing all your physical stuff. :???:
jkschmidt
Space Cadet

Post by jkschmidt »

You are a wonderful genius and that worked perfectly! I have Basilisk II/Mac working as it should, and now needing to figure out how to get games loaded. Any directions or tips to get me started would be greatly appreciated!
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

jkschmidt wrote:You are a wonderful genius and that worked perfectly! I have Basilisk II/Mac working as it should, and now needing to figure out how to get games loaded. Any directions or tips to get me started would be greatly appreciated!

The easiest way Is to probably just download them directly. I did put together an ISO of a bunch of useful stuff to have, but I don't think stock Basilisk II can handle it (I haven't tried).

But you'll have to look at the essential 68k software, download it, use hfv explorer to copy the files into your disk file, and hope that they don't get screwed up in the conversion. I've always had major issues with this step though so others may be able to guide you to what you want.

Me? I just download directly from IE into my disk. Or copy it from a server :mrgreen:
jkschmidt
Space Cadet

Post by jkschmidt »

Cat_7,
I have my emulator up and running correctly. Now my issue is getting the game to unstuff/install/operate. The game I am trying to play is from macintoshgarden.org, the Creative Reader Collection. I have downloaded the file I want, which shows as a cdr zip file. I downloaded the file and did not touch it in Windows. I used HFV to transfer the file to my drive in the emulator and then drag and dropped it to Stuffit/Aladdin Expander, but it says "unknown zip header format encountered. This operation cannot continue." Then it will create a file that says 80_days.cdr, no longer says zip, but when I try to open that, it is just a blank file. I have also tried double clicking on Stuffit Expander, going up to File and Expand, then selecting the cdr zip file, and it will give me the same error message, but create a folder that says 80_days.cdr_Folder, but then the whole emulator will stop functioning (doesn't read on the Windows as frozen, but will not let me click on anything else in the emulator). Please let me know what I am doing wrong or if I am missing a step or something. Thank you in advance!
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

I just downloaded it... from here..

Ok it's a normal zip file you can unzip that in your OS, windows/OSX/Linux or whatever. then just add the cdr as a 'disk' file and you should be good to go.

I'm using System 8 so you may have to mess with quicktime and whatnot...
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I downloaded the Peter Pan zip. Just unzip in Windows.
You get PanCD.cdr.

Run the Basilisk GUI and add PanCD.cdr to the volumes list.
Run Basilisk. A PanCD icon appears on the desktop, and a PanCD window opens.
Just double click the Peter Pan program. If you Mac OS screen is not set to 256 colours, you get a warning. Click OK the let the program change the colour settings and it will run full screen.

After the intro, I can use the mouse and hear the sound, so things should be OK.
Move the mouse to the top of the screen to show the game menus.
It might be you need to use the keyboard for drawing stuff, as the mouse behaves sluggish when drawing.

Please note that the Macintosh garden site says that this is a "hybrid" CD image. This might result in some functions or data not being available, but for now I haven't noticed anything missing. It might also mean this CD image has both Mac and Windows version of the game.

I tried this with Basilisk running Mac OS 8.1, so I can't be sure it will behave the same in 7.5.3.

Best,
Cat_7
jkschmidt
Space Cadet

Post by jkschmidt »

Cat_7 and neozeed,
You guys have quite literally just made my year! :) It is working, sound and everything. AH, you are my heroes, thank you SO MUCH for your guidance!
jkschmidt
Space Cadet

Post by jkschmidt »

Ok, now for separate games I am having issues. I have downloaded this file (http://macintoshgarden.org/games/the-pagemaster) which is a sit file and also this game (http://macintoshgarden.org/games/where- ... n-sandiego) which is a zip file. I unzipped the zip file which opened a disc image, which will open in B2 but freezes up on the intro page and will not let me do anything further. and for the sit file, the emulator does not recognize it at all. Please let me know what I should do differently for these files. Thanks!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

This is were stuff gets nasty. The pagemaster files are compressed with stuff-it. So you need to get that program into Basilisk.

Don't run Basilisk.
Download stuff-it expander from our essential software page: http://www.emaculation.com/basilisk/stu ... der_55.bin Put the file in your Basilisk folder.

Open your MacOS753.hfv with hfv explorer. In the left pane, navigate to your windows basilisk folder and drag the stuffit_expander_55.bin file from the right pane to the MacOS753 disk on top of the list in the left pane (as you did before with the installer parts). Click OK to any warnings. This will give you the stuff-it expander program in Mac OS 753. Close HFV explorer.

Now, the pagemaster files need to be un-stuffed. For this you need access to your Windows hard disk from inside MacOS753. This is assuming you have the Pagemaster files in your Basilisk folder.
Open the Basilisk GUI and tick Enable "My Computer".....
In the box below, only enter the drive letter on which you have Basilisk installed, e.g., C

Start Basilisk. Open you MacOS753 disk and you'll find the folder "Stuffit Expander 5.5". Open this folder. You also see a My Computer icon on the desktop. Open My Computer and navigate to your Basilisk folder on your Windows disk. Find PAGEMSTR_1.toast.sit and drag the file onto the Stuffit Expander program inside the Stuffit Expander 5.5 window. You might have to close some windows to see the program.
This will unstuff the file (It'll take some time) and creates a file called PAGEMSTR_1.toast in your Basilisk folder. Do the same for the PAGEMSTR_2.toast.sit file.
Wait for it to unstuff and shut down Basilisk.

Start the BasiliskGUI and add the files PAGEMSTR_1.toast and PAGEMSTR_2.toast to the volumes list. Start Basilisk, open the PAGEMSTR_1 disk on the desktop and run the Pagemaster Installer. Select your MacOS753 disk and run Extract. This creates a folder "Pagemaster folder" on your MacOS753 disk. Inside is the Pagemaster program which you can now run.

I haven't had any luck running the Carmen SanDiego games. As the macintosh garden site says, they run in MinivMac.

Best,
Cat_7
jkschmidt
Space Cadet

Post by jkschmidt »

I had already had Stuffit Expander loaded in Basilisk, I reloaded and tried again. Now the issue I am having is only with certain games. I have had some games that were .sit expand just fine (example Arthur.iso_.sit and Scooby-doo.img_.sit and issm.toast_.sit) but for the Pagemaster game and for Ultimate doom, they are both .sit files, but when I click and drag them to Stuffit, or when I double-click Stuffit, File, Expand and select those files, it will not do anything at all. I have all the games that will not load in one file, and when I drag that whole file to Stuffit, I get "the ShrinkWrap engine has reported an error. Error-39." When I drag my folder that has all the games to Stuffit, the same files that have already expanded will go through the process again and unstuff, but after those games unstuff, another error message will come up "The ShrinkWrap engine has reported an error. Error-36" and will not unstuff the same games that repeatedly will not unstuff. Another window that has popped up said "5 files you tried to expand could have been expanded if you had DropStuff with Expander Enhancer or Stuffit Delux installed," please let me know where I can find a reliable copy of this as well. Please let me know if there is a step I am missing or if there is an update or expansion I need for Stuffit.

Thanks in advance! These are the last few games I will be messing with, so I should have no further issues once I get these last few games worked out!
aris95
Space Cadet

Post by aris95 »

I guess your problems have been solved but it would be a good idea to make Basilisk bootable and mountable "Network Access disk 7.5.dsk" disk image which is nowhere directly downloadable (which can open .smi files directly if needed). There is a great site for creating mac disk images in PC (doesn't need to have floppy disk device installed), follow the instructions. In WinImage when the purged image file is read "in" it is then possible to save it as .dsk (pick *.* option first) which is then bootable from Basilisk II.

I haven' tried but it might even be possible to "upgrade" to System 7.5.3 right away after booting with this "Network Access disk image" -disk system and save a lot of time?

Below are the minimal programs needed:

---clip---

"Aladdin StuffIt Expander for Windows 5.0 (It is important to use a version such as this as the new version offered on Aladdin Systems website does not support the decompression of MacBinary files under Windows, and we will be doing that here)

Mac System 7.5 Network Access Disk

WinImage Trial Edition (This is only if you are a purist who prefers using slow floppy disks compared ultra-fast disk images ;) )"

http://www.oldos.org/Mac/68kEmulator.html

---clip---
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

If you need it, I put together a System 7.5.3 ISO created from the Apple download here on Sourceforge.
aris95
Space Cadet

Post by aris95 »

neozeed wrote:If you need it, I put together a System 7.5.3 ISO created from the Apple download here on Sourceforge.
After adding your System 7.5.3.iso file to Basilisk II GUI volumes I booted from my self-made Network 7.5 Access disk .dsk file , updating was also possible by this way, thanks! I must try this method when i next time install Basilisk II from scratch.
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

the best part about that iso, is that it works with sheepshaver as well with an oldworld ROM!