Problem with SLIRP on (X)ubuntu 14.04

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

dymol
Space Cadet

Problem with SLIRP on (X)ubuntu 14.04

Post by dymol »

Hi,

First of all, thanks a lot for great forum and the whole 68k Mac emulation effort!

It seems that many people described problems with sheep_net driver (which is also problematic for me), but I don't really care about any extended network features and I would like some plain network access (ping/telnet will make me already happy :)).

So I have native Linux system with Xubuntu 14.04 as well as VirtualBox running with the same system (network configured as NAT). Both on real machine as well as on virtual one I have full network/Internet access without any problems.

I installed Basilisk2 from source (fresh master from GitHub). Then System 7.5.3 and updated to 7.5.5 with OpenTransport. I opened TCP/IP control panel and switched it to DHCP. The parameters are correctly set, i.e.:
- IP: 10.0.2.15
- Gate: 10.0.2.2
- DNS: 10.0.2.3
Using e.g. WhatRoute utility, I can:
- ping 10.0.2.2
- resolve "www.google.com" to IP address
But I can't ping anything outside 10.0.2.2 (my router with 192.168.0.1 as well as any remote host is inaccessible).

Identical situation happens when I use System 7.0.1 with MacTCP - after dynamic configuration (which I assume is DHCP) I'm getting correct host IP (10.0.2.5) and I can run MacTCP Ping utility - DNS works fine, I can ping 10.0.2.2, but I can't ping both my LAN as well as anything outside.

Same behavior can be observed for Ubuntu-packaged Basilisk II.

Do you have any advice for such situation? If no solution is known: I can install virtually any Linux system in my VBox and I don't care about being up-to-date - can anyone recommend something that certainly works?
Last edited by dymol on Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Problem with SLIRP on (X)ubuntu 14.04

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

What you found is default behaviour with slirp. No ping outside 10.0.0.2.
If you need better, go with the sheep_net solution or try tap networking.
Your IP address should be 10.0.2.15.

Best,
Cat_7
dymol
Space Cadet

Re: Problem with SLIRP on (X)ubuntu 14.04

Post by dymol »

Regarding my IP address - you're right, I made a typo, it's 10.0.2.15.

Regarding SLIRP, true, I didn't know that ping (ICMP) will not pass through while TCP/UDP connections are fine. Great, thanks!

It turned out both System 7.0.1 (with MacTCP) and 7.5.5 work great with Telnet and slirp in basilisk2.