Is there a way to SAVE set-up of multiple OS versions?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

TNdj
Space Cadet

Is there a way to SAVE set-up of multiple OS versions?

Post by TNdj »

I have created BasiliskII for MacOS 7.5.3 and MacOS 8.1 but I have to go into BasiliskIIGUI every time to re-point to the correct folder holding the right files for the right version. SAVE doesn't seem to do anything. I would like to have a different copy of BasiliskII to run a certain OS. Can't figure how to do it. Please help.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Is there a way to SAVE set-up of multiple OS versions?

Post by adespoton »

There's a number of methods discussed in these threads. Part of it depends on what your OS host is I guess; but no matter what the host, basiliskii takes command-line arguments for where to find its prefs file and even where to save its pram file. Nothing like the sheepvm bundles you can do in SheepShaver on OS X, but you can create alternate bat files on Windows, alternate .sh files on Linux and OS X. Best to avoid the GUI to do this, except to set up your preference files.
TNdj
Space Cadet

Post by TNdj »

Thx, i think, for the fast response. I looked all over the forum for multiple BasiliskII setups but couldn't find any. This is way over my head. I did a search on ".sh" and everything but .SH came up. (?) i am running an iMac with OS 10.8.2. BalisickII runs fine but for the switching problem. Oh! for a normal reference file. Could you dial down the advanced info for a real novice non-techie? Appreciate it.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I keep all my OSes as clickable apps, but that takes a bit to set up.

Easiest way is this:

Use BasiliskIIGUI to set up your prefs file the way you want.

THEN

Make a duplicate copy of BasiliskII.app

Name it something like MacOS755.app

Right-click on the .app file, select "View Contents"

Select the Info.plist file, and open it with TextEdit.

Change:

Code: Select all

<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
<string>BasiliskII</string>
to:

<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
<string>launchb2</string>
Save, close, and create a new TextEdit document.
Enter the following:

#!/bin/sh
mypath=`dirname "$0"`
cd "$mypath"
./BasiliskII --config "../Resources/Config"
Select "Make Plain Text" from the Format menu.

Save, then drag the MacOS folder viewable in the finder window to the save dialog.

Back in the save dialog, type "launchb2" as the filename.
Uncheck the "If no extension is provided, use ".txt" checkbox
Uncheck the "Hide extension" checkbox
Click Save

Close the file, then click on the MacOS folder. You should see a "launchb2" text document inside.

Press command-space, and type terminal
Press return
type:

chmod a+x 
(make sure there's a space after the x)
Drag the launchb2 document from the finder window to the terminal window and press return

Next, type

cp ~/.BasiliskII_prefs 
(make sure there's a space after the s)
Drag the Resources folder from the finder window to the terminal window, press backspace, and type

/Config
and press return.

That's it!

Now, if you want to make things even better, move your keycode, ROM file and your image file inside that Resources folder.

Then, open up the Config file in TextEdit, and change the paths to those files. The new paths should be:
../Resources/<filename>

When you're done, find a good icon to paste over the app icon, or if you've got an icns editor, just open up the BasiliskII.icns file in the Resources folder, and paste your new spiffy icon over top of that.

Now you've got a fully contained OS-in-an-App!

You might have to right-click the app and select Open the first time you want to run it, depending on your GateKeeper security settings.
TNdj
Space Cadet

Post by TNdj »

Thanks for that roadmap. It runs! I made all the changes and the altered pgm loads.

However, I then focussed on altering a BasiliskII pgm to open in MacOS8.1. I put in the correct files in BasiliskII for 8.1. Unaltered, it opened to MacOS 8.1.

When I closed that pgm, I tried my new version of BasiliskII753. It opened 8.1, as if it was still using the setup in ..GUI. As if so, is there some sort of SAVE missing from your instructions? (the contents look right with the new launchb2 file, etc in place)

Also, since I am primarily interested in playing the old but goodie games, how do I put in new game volumes? If the idea is "one Pgm for each OS" avoiding the ..GUI, I'm not clear on how to do this with the customized BasiliskII pgm.

I tried to go on and do the 'OS-in-an-App' part, but couldn't find a Config file. ?

Thx for your patience and guidance.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

When I closed that pgm, I tried my new version of BasiliskII753. It opened 8.1, as if it was still using the setup in ..GUI.
I tried to go on and do the 'OS-in-an-App' part, but couldn't find a Config file. ?
Next, type

Code:
cp ~/.BasiliskII_prefs

(make sure there's a space after the s)
Drag the Resources folder from the finder window to the terminal window, press backspace, and type
Code:
/Config
and press return.
These are all part of the same problem. It looks like you failed to create your Config file, so Basilisk II used the default path.

That command line, when finished, should look something like

cp ~/.BasiliskII_prefs /Applications/MacOS7.5.5.app/Contents/Resources/Config
To find that file to edit it in the future, you right click on MacOS7.5.5.app, select "Show Package Contents" and drill down to the Config file, which you can then open in TextEdit.

I recommend using a shared folder (I personally use a folder in /Users/Shared/) and you can also store your games image anywhere, and just add it as a line in your Config files, using the same "/" path notation as used above.
TNdj
Space Cadet

Post by TNdj »

OK i see the problem, I think. In Terminal I get these lines:

Last login: Sat Jan 31 15:58:41 on ttys000
99-197-195-15:~ app$ chmod a+x /Users/app/Downloads/\ DJ\ Adds/Emulators/Basilisk\ II\ 7.5.3/Basil755.app/Contents/MacOS/launchb2.txt
99-197-195-15:~ app$ cp ~/.BasiliskII_prefs /Users/app/Downloads/\ DJ\ Adds/Emulators/Basilisk\ II\ 7.5.3/Basil755.app/Contents/Resources/Config
cp: /Users/app/.BasiliskII_prefs: No such file or directory <-----------

(The complete path is Macintosh HD, Users, app, Downloads, DJ Adds, Emulators, BasiliskII 7.5.3, BasiliskII)

Funny, the orig BasiliskII pgm works but none of the others I diddled with work now. I've really enjoyed this sojourn to the inside but wouldn't blame you if you call it a lost cause. Thx.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

OK: you've got a few issues there.

/Users/app/Downloads/\ DJ\ Adds/Emulators/Basilisk\ II\ 7.5.3/Basil755.app/Contents/MacOS/launchb2.txt needs to be renamed launchb2 without the .txt. You might need to Get Info on it to remove the trailing extension.

You also need to find where the prefs file is being kept. Maybe try:

cp ~/.basiliskii_prefs /Users/app/Downloads/\ DJ\ Adds/Emulators/Basilisk\ II\ 7.5.3/Basil755.app/Contents/Resources/Config
just in case the problem is the capitalization of the file.
TNdj
Space Cadet

Post by TNdj »

Got it! Works great! I found the prefs by using cp ~/.basilisk_ii_prefs
That extra underscore made all the difference.
Thx for your help.