No One Can Telnet in to My BBS -- Connection Refused

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: No One Can Telnet in to My BBS -- Connection Refused

Post by adespoton »

Ah; that makes more sense. And now it makes sense why we crossed paths multiple times too :)
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

Post by Old-School-BBSer »

adespoton wrote:Ah; that makes more sense. And now it makes sense why we crossed paths multiple times too :)
Say, if you have the time, and the interest, could you please try logging on to my Hotline server? Not a soul has logged on since I set it up two days ago.

I am not sure if it is because no one is interested in Hotline anymore, if it is because I have a connection problem in my setup.

You can try using 202.128.4.177, or else the domain endtimeprophecy.net.

I use the standard Hotline port of 5500.

I am using the 1.2.3 server, because I can't run any of the later PPC servers under Basilisk. So, I suggest that you use the 68k Hotline client as well, if you try to log on.

Thanks, my friend! :)
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
Guam, Mariana Islands, USA
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Seems to work OK.

Best,
Cat_7
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

Yeah, it does . . . When I am not busy messing things up! :razz:
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Now I'm getting an "Incorrect Login" error on your hl server. Guest account disabled?
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

No, guest account is not disabled.

How familiar are you with the Hotline client.

My only guess is that when you bring up the "Connect" window, you are entering a name and password.

You do not need to do that, and should not do that, because you don't have an account on my server.

You only need to do two things:

1. Make sure that you have assigned yourself a name in the Hotline client prefs.

2. Enter my IP address or domain name in the "Connect" window.
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Same here: Incorrect login.

Best,
Cat_7
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

Guys, I have no idea what that is about.

I have not disabled the guest account.

I can log in locally as a guest, or as admin.

Are you using an official Hotline client, or a clone, or perhaps some strange and terribly, awfully dangerous hack that is doing who knows what to your own computer, and to your connection to my server as well. :) :D

The only reason why it would say incorrect login, is because your Hotline client is sending some kind of identifying data in its stream.

I suggest that you look carefully at the login and password fields in your client. Make sure that there is no characters in there, including an invisible space, perhaps.

If you are absolutely certain that there is absolutely nothing in either of those fields when you try to connect, then I really don't know what to tell you.

All I know is, your client is apparently sending something, but when my server doesn't find anything for that user name in its database, it is disconnecting you because it does not recognize you as a member of my server. That is why both fields need to be blank, so that it recognizes you as a guest user.
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Even after trashing the hotline prefs I cannot connect. I can connect to other servers shown under tracker.

There must be something amiss on your side ;-)

Best,
Cat_7
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

Major big OOPS on my part. :)

I don't know how it happened, but I just checked, and there was no guest account folder in the users folder. Really strange indeed.

Please try again. It should work now.
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

WHAT??? I went from being a "Student Driver" to an "Inquisitive Elf"?

Someone needs to talk to the Admins of this place. :roll:
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Old-School-BBSer wrote:No, guest account is not disabled.

How familiar are you with the Hotline client.
Well, let me see... I helped Adam Hinkley test the original betas before it went public. I also helped reverse engineer Jason & Co's updated protocol so the changes could be added to the CPAN module and RealBasic framework. I helped develop a couple of the alternative clients that flourished for a while. My icon on here is a hat tip to the one I used back in the day on Hotline (icon 216).

So if you have any future issues, feel free to ask; I've seen most of the potential client and server misconfiguration issues at one time or another, and knew (I could probably look them up) most of the secret modes available in both the client and the server.

Post a while longer, and you'll quickly get out of Inquisitive Elf mode :D
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

Ha! Oh gosh! I think I have had enough misconfiguration issues for a while. It was really frustrating. :shock:
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

sigh it's like three lines to setup a slirp redirection in source...

Code: Select all

struct in_addr tentwo;
                inet_aton("10.0.2.15", &tentwo);
                slirp_redir(0,42323,tentwo,23);
something like this.

Oh well late to the party, I downloaded Hermes onto Basilisk II, and got it to redirect in. Although it's a shame that SyncTerm can't display the menus correctly..

Any idea what is going on with the terminal? Oh well still interesting to see a Mac BBS supported TCP/IP!
don't do today what you can put off until tomorrow.
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

Neozeed,

If you are inquiring regarding a Mac-based BBS that is telnet-accessible, please check out my Armageddon BBS web page at http://www.armageddonbbs.com.

You can telnet directly to my BBS at 202.128.4.177.

And, yes, with the right settings, you can indeed use the Mac OS X Terminal to telnet to it, and see all of the PC-ANSI graphics displayed properly. You will find all of the help and information that you need at the aforementioned website. Check out the links on the bottom of the web page.

SyncTerm works, but it is majorly Windowish/ugly and clunky.
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

80x43 made a big difference. Although compared to stock, your menus draw better!

I like syncterm as it does xyz modem.

Still very cool to see a tcp mac classic BBS!
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

neozeed wrote:80x43 made a big difference. Although compared to stock, your menus draw better!

I like syncterm as it does xyz modem.

Still very cool to see a tcp mac classic BBS!
Yes, using double the standard terminal window length will spare you a lot of unnecessary frustration.

Regarding the ANSI menus, if you look at the raw ANSI code for the default menus in Hermes, you will discover that there is a lot of unnecessary, repetitive crap. In contrast, I make all of my menus and screens very lean with only the absolutely necessary ANSI codes, and I make sure that their width is under 80 characters, usually about 74 to 76 characters.

Yes, as I mention in one of my tutorials, while proper settings will allow the OS X Terminal app to beautifully display all of the screens on my BBS, the one major drawback is that Apple apparently does not incorporate the X, Y and Z modem protocols in the Terminal. As a result, it is not possible to upload or download files to or from a BBS -- such as mine -- using the Terminal app.

I actually run my BBS in a virtual Mac Classic environment using Sheepshaver, which itself runs on a Yosemite machine. So even though Apple tried to kill Mac OS 9 long ago, us diehards still have a way to run it via Basilisk II or Sheepshaver. The difference is that Basilisk II only supports up to 68K and Mac OS 8, while Sheepshaver supports PPC and up to Mac OS 9.0.4.
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

Ok, so it runs in Sheep ok.. Yeah I've hacked on both for a bit, added SCSI file support to Basilisk II and played with some of the internal guts, tried ripping out a bunch of 'features' to try to make it more stable. I got it to the point where IE 4 runs OK with it.

I want to start hacking on it again, work has been a whirlwind of crazy the last few months.

Sheepshaver is it's own special world of crazy how it works, relying on the ability to not only 1:1 map the Mac's memory onto the sheep process, but it needs to segfault the emulation and 'catch' that to do it's emulation shims. The big limitation of sheep is that the shims are still based on the 68000 shims from Basilisk. And compiling either is a lesson in frustration to say the least.. lol

:lol:

Of course if OS X 10.12 drops support for 32bit applications we are going to be in a really sucky spot regarding classical MacOS emulation. But no time like the present.
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

Well, the day that Apple finally drops 32-bit app support completely will be the day that both my Hotline server and my Hermes II BBS disappear for good, I suppose. Insofar as Mac OS X BBS software is concerned, there are a few alternatives. However, the last time I checked them out a number of months ago, they were all under very slow development, and not really ready for prime time use IMHO.

Sheepshaver has been very stable for me. Both my Hotline server and Hermes II BBS run 24/7 under Sheepshaver without any issues, for months now.
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

I have a crazy OT question.. how is the internet in Guam? I heard that the Northern Mariana Islands basically got blown away internet wise...?

I'd imagine it's quite the mission to host anything out in the SE Pacific, but I guess with the military bases communications is kind of a priority.

Just wondering.
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

Yes, with the recent Typhoon Chan-Hom, the CNMI lost both telephone service and Internet service. The problem is that the CNMI -- Guam is the largest island in the Mariana Island chain, but not a part of the CNMI -- only has one undersea cable, whereas Guam has, I believe, three -- and possibly four -- which keeps us well-connected with the U.S. mainland, as well as with the other nations to the north, south, and west of us.

Here on Guam, Internet service has steadily been getting better over the years. One reason for this is that there is sufficient competition to keep everyone on their toes, and trying to grab the market share of the others.

Things are a lot more expensive here on Guam, so it should not surprise you that I currently pay $115.00/month for an "Online 15.0" cable modem connection. This allows me to download files at a maximum of 2 MB/sec on my better connections, although, obviously, my average downstream is lower than that. Upstream is nowhere near that.

The good news is that the ISP I use is currently in the process of implementing some new bandwidth plans. As a result, within a matter of days, for an extra $5/month -- or $120.00/month total -- I will be upgraded to an "Online 60.0" cable modem connection.

As with the 15.0 connection, that means megabits. So, if you do the math, that means that once I receive the 60.0 upgrade, I should expect download speeds of up to about 8 MB/sec, or about 480 MB/minute. Theoretically, I will be able to download an 8 GB file in less than ten minutes, based on top speed.

But again, we all know that we rarely always get what is advertised due to Internet congestion and other reasons.

Nevertheless, considering that 22 years ago my first modem was a 300 - 1200 baud Apple modem, I am quite happy with the IT advances which have been made here in recent years.

Oh, BTW, military operations are pretty much separated from civilian operations here. Yes, there is some overlap and cooperation, of course, but I honestly don't think that it affects the quality of my Internet connection.
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

wow that sounds like quite the adventure! I'm pretty sure we have lots of fiber runs in Hong Kong since most of China's internet exits out here. And I think we carry Macau too, but I didn't get a good traceroute out from there last time, the hotels had some aggressive firewalls.

I have a 1gig connection here, that costs less than $25 USD a month. But of course HK's connection to the states is on a super congested line, so 64kb/sec throttling is not uncommon.

For work I pay $100 a month for a 100MB connection that gets throttled to 256kb ..

At least windows/apple updates are FAST since they have local mirrors... Hopefully they keep stuff like that there in Guam for you, otherwise those 1+GB updates would be killer...
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

Well, I got my upgraded connection and just did a speed test at http://www.speedtest.net. Here is the result:

No, I actually have to download my OS X updates directly from Apple's servers. With this bandwidth upgrade, they will be a breeze, and will download in a matter of a few minutes.

BTW, I may have already told you, but they also raised my monthly bandwidth cap to 1 terabyte, which is really nice. I very seriously doubt that I will ever download/upload that much data in a month, but it is definitely nice to have all of that breathing space.
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

Nice!

This is more so me being on wifi... Im on an Air so I can't plug in, but before my MacPro died, it'd get the full 1000/1000..

The real test is picking a stateside server...

Although I wish data would stream this fast for work.... I routinely get 64kb/sec. I need a VPN that looks like speedtest!
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

Man, you leave me in the dust!!! :sad: for me, and :mrgreen: for you.

What do you do with all of that speed?

It took 22 years of waiting for me to get to my current bandwidth.
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS