No sound in color 3d games

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Sergey W.
Space Cadet

No sound in color 3d games

Post by Sergey W. »

I trying to run old games like Colony 3d(1988) (link here http://www.filedropper.com/colony)- no sound
also "4d boxing")(1991) - no sound too

im using Windows,MacOS8 image,and mac quadra 650 boot rom

anybody know how to get sound on these games?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Re: No sound in color 3d games

Post by ClockWise »

You're likely going to have to use System 7.x to run these games.

4D boxing was mentioned in this thread: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5038 as a game where the sound doesn't work in 8.x, and that was on a real Macintosh rather than an emulator.
Sergey W.
Space Cadet

Post by Sergey W. »

Ok, i'v tried os 7 - same result.
NucAr
Tinkerer

Post by NucAr »

The dates of the games you give are around or before the release of System 7. I too have had problems having no sound in such games, including NetTrek, VETTE!, and others that had updates for use in System 7.

So what you should try next is System 6, in Mini vMac. Try the Macintosh II builds that support color.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

He's going to have problems with 6.0.8 on a Mini vMac Mac II image too, as sound hasn't been implemented for the II series yet; it uses the Classic Mac-style audio chip for emulation, which... breaks with games just like the ones he's talking about. Worth a try, but I wouldn't get any hopes up.
NucAr
Tinkerer

Post by NucAr »

There has to be some way to have color and sound in Mini vMac, because here it is playing VETTE! perfectly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtDgTz2peXw

The uploader says in the comments that he used a "very specific build" of Mini vMac, so now I'd like to know what it is. Maybe I'll have to try to contact him. Is there a way to have color when not emulating a Mac II?
Sergey W.
Space Cadet

Post by Sergey W. »

ok i found Color minivmac. It runs these games on real speed (not speed up like basilisk 2)
link-
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/588 ... -Multi.zip

And it have sound. But sound is incredible choppy( you can't hear anything) even system sounds.

Any tip how to fix sound ?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

The tip for fixing the sound is to fully implement the Mac II sound chip for Mini vMac :) Or, wait for gryphel to implement full sound support. I'm amazed you get recognizable sound, as I don't think he (or anyone else) has spent too much time getting it to work at this point.

Remember that BII is a basic chip emulator and hardware simulator, whereas Mini vMac is a hardware emulator. Because of that, there's a lot more to get right, but once that's done, it should be indistinguishable from the actual hardware.
abaraba
Space Cadet

Post by abaraba »

The problem with 4D Boxing is the game distribution available on the internet. I found it on only two sites and they have the same .sit file, with cracked version of the game which is incomplete.

If you look at "sound" folder you will notice "boxcrow.slb" file has zero size. Also, if you try to run the game with system lower than 7.5 the game will actually report "boxsfx.sfx" and "boxsfx.vce" files are missing and it will abort execution. System 7.5 and above will not report the error, but instead just disable the sound and continue executing the game.

To fix it, I took Amiga version of the game and extracted missing files. Unfortunately Amiga version doesn't seem to have appropriate substitution for "boxcrow.slb" (crowd noise), and sound files from PC version do not work at all, so I could not patch crowd sounds, but everything else seems to work fine enough.

I tested it with vMac (black & white) and vMac-II emulator (256 colors). Voice audio sounds a bit strange with vMac-II and overall sound seem closer to the original with vMac.

Download missing sounds (except crowd noise):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/66kkj ... ox-snd.zip

Replace "sound" folder with the one in the zip file. If you copy instead of replacing don't forget to delete zero size file "boxcrow.slb", as with sound enabled this broken file will freeze the game, but if it's not there at all the crowd sounds will automatically be disabled.