How do I install 7.5.3-8.6 (or even 9.x) with *color*?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

jiclark
Space Cadet

How do I install 7.5.3-8.6 (or even 9.x) with *color*?

Post by jiclark »

Subject says it all...

Having fun playing with Basilisk II today, and got 7.5.3 up and running easily, but only in B&W. I'm using a Quadra ROM found elsewhere. That should support color, right?

Anyway, when I attempted to install 8.0, it installed fine, but on the first boot into the new install, it crashed hard. Ever since, I'm getting nothing but the flashing question mark. I'm guessing I need to start over anyway, so I'd love to know what the trick is to getting a color interface!

Many TiA!
John
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: How do I install 7.5.3-8.6 (or even 9.x) with *color*?

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

BasiliskII should display color without any special tricks. Did you check color settings in MacOS 7.5.3 Monitors control panel?

Maybe you installed MacOS 8.0 while booted in 7.5.3? To run BasiliskII with MacOS 8, the Mac Model ID setting in the GUI should be Quadra 900. (That setting will also work with MacOS 7.5.3.)

Yes, you will probably need to start over again.

(Next time you ask a question, please include information about the host system, like which machine, which OS (MacOSX or Windows) and OS version).
jiclark
Space Cadet

Post by jiclark »

Thanks for the reply Ronald! Sorry, should've thought to post system info:

Retina MacBook Pro, running OS X.9.5, 16GB RAM

All my settings were as you describe, but I couldn't get it to boot cleanly in OS 8, nor could I choose the Monitors control panel in 7.5.3.

I'm now trying Sheepshaver, using the New World ROM found on here somewhere. It wouldn't recognize my OS 8 image, so I found an old OS 8.5 disk (good thing I saved all of them!), imaged that, and it's installing now. All in color!

So I think I'm in business finally, thanks. One last question, I remember a built-in program on one of my first Macs, I think it was called "Macintosh Basics"; have you seen it anywhere in your travels on the 'net? It was a funny introduction to the Mac interface with tutorials based on the analogies behind things like the Desktop and Trash. It would be a fascinating relic to be able to demo now!

Thanks again,
John
jiclark
Space Cadet

Post by jiclark »

Nevermind Ronald, I found it!!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

jiclark wrote:One last question, I remember a built-in program on one of my first Macs, I think it was called "Macintosh Basics"; have you seen it anywhere in your travels on the 'net? It was a funny introduction to the Mac interface with tutorials based on the analogies behind things like the Desktop and Trash. It would be a fascinating relic to be able to demo now!

Thanks again,
John
Each version of the Mac that was released came with its own "Macintosh Basics" 3.5" disk back in the day (on older Macs, they had a Guided Tour disk instead). Some of them only ran on specific hardware/OS configurations, but I've got most parts of all of them working from the original 128K Mac through the SE/30. My configuration of choice is running them via Mini vMac (build adjusted to match the hardware the Basics disk was for). Since Mini vMac doesn't support the SE/30, I used the Mac II build, and it seems to work fine. One thing to note: you need to use a disk image that's writeable in Mini vMac; if you use a locked image (which includes all images in the DiskCopy format), you'll get a system error as soon as the software attempts to write to disk.
jiclark
Space Cadet

Post by jiclark »

Thanks, I guess I got lucky. The version I found (5.0.3) works fine in my Sheepshaver install.

I just love having that little bit of history to be able to show people where we all started!