changing the system drive name

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

voyager
Space Cadet

changing the system drive name

Post by voyager »

Hi -

I set up BasiliskII on Mac OSX 10.6.8 and everything worked fine. But the programs I run in that environment are coded for a drive named "Osiris," not "OSX753," so I made a copy of my OSX753, dragged it out of the BasiliskII folder, and changed the remaining OSX753 to Osiris. I also changed the info in BasiliskGUI to reference a drive named Osiris. Upon startup, I got the blinking disk. I then returned the OSX753 to the folder and changed the info in the GUI back to OSX753. But that gave me the blinking disk as well. Evidently, I broke some link, and I need to know if there's a way to recover, short of starting over from scratch.

Michael suggested I include the contents of my Basilisk prefs file, but I don't seem to have one, at least in the User/Preferences folder.

Thanks!
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: changing the system drive name

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The preferences are kept in a file called .basilisk_ii_prefs in your home folder.
So just start a terminal and type "open .basilisk_ii_prefs" (mind the dot in front of the file name, and don't use the quotes.)

You should always be able to rename a disk inside Mac OS in Basilisk. There is no relation between the name of the disk in Mac OS and the name of the file in which it resides in your folder in OS X. So there is no need to copy it in OS X.

Do you now have two disks (volumes) showing up in the preferences editor? The blinking question mark indicates that the disks can be found by Mac OS, but that they are no longer recognised as bootable. I think one way to fix this is by booting from a floppy disk image (as I assume you did earlier when installing Mac OS 7.5.3). Please add the floppy disk image to the volumes list (as top entry) and start Basilisk. Then open the hard disks showing up on the desktop and open their system folders. Next, shut down Mac OS and remove the floppy disk image from the volumes list. You should now be able to boot from the hard disk again.

Best regards,
Cat_7
voyager
Space Cadet

Post by voyager »

Thanks, Cat_7. I'll try your suggestion. Here are my prefs:

disk /Users/eharts/BasiliskII/MacOS753
extfs /Users/eharts/BasiliskII/Shared
screen win/1280/800
seriala
serialb
ether slirp
udptunnel false
udpport 6066
rom /Users/eharts/BasiliskII/PERFORMA.ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 67108864
frameskip 0
modelid 14
cpu 4
fpu true
nocdrom false
nosound false
noclipconversion false
nogui false
jit true
jitfpu true
jitdebug false
jitcachesize 2048
jitlazyflush true
jitinline true
keyboardtype 5
keycodes true
keycodefile /Users/eharts/BasiliskII/BasiliskII_keycodes
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv true
idlewait true
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

BasiliskII looks for a disk image "MacOS753" inside the BasiliskII folder. That is the name the disk image file should still have.

When BasiliskII runs again, booted from that disk image, you can change the name of the disk volume as it appears mounted on the System 7.5.3 desktop to "Osiris" so your programs can find the volume. Changing the name inside System 7.5.3 will not affect the name of the disk image file in OSX (and vice versa).
voyager
Space Cadet

Post by voyager »

Well, I ended up starting over, and when I did, I named my startup drive in the folder "Osiris" - and it's working fine. So evidently it doesn't need to be "MacOS753," after all.

But let me check this question: when I did my first attempt, I missed the last set-up instruction to set the mac model id to support system 7.x. Things ran fine with it set to 8.0 until I screwed it up, and I've tried the new set-up set both ways, seemingly with no effect. Is there a hidden danger there?

Thanks for all your help.
voyager
Space Cadet

Post by voyager »

PS. For everyone's benefit - the extremely useful 68K software page suggests PrintToPDF 2.4.4 - and that version says it needs registration. But the author's home page offers 2.4.5, whose only difference is…no registration. So you all might want to update that.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

With the ID setting "Mac IIci (MacOS 7.x)", BasiliskII will run System 7.0 through MacOS 8.1
With the ID setting "Quadra 900 (MacOS 8.x)", BasiliskII will run System 7.5.3 through MacOS 8.1

Our "Printing from SheepShaver and BasiliskII" manual links to the PrintToPDF website:
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... k_printing

I will replace the file in our downloads page for the newer version. Thanks for reporting.
voyager
Space Cadet

Post by voyager »

And thanks (to everyone involved) for BasiliskII.