.sit unstuffs into .sit?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

chaldo
Space Cadet

.sit unstuffs into .sit?

Post by chaldo »

Seems I've always had this problem where when I go to unstuff certain games. Instead of unstuffing the file, it creates a new one, with a duplicate .sit extension.

For example, I'm running BasiliskII, under Mac OS 8.0. I have a game I downloaded from one of the Mac abandonware sites, Dinopark_Tycoon.sit. Normally with .sit files, I just drag and drop them into Stuffit Deluxe, or Dropstuff, and it works fine.But for some reason in this instance (and many others), what happens is Stuffit Deluxe doesn't output a file, and when I drop it into DropStuff, all it does it simply create an additional .sit file, with an additional .sit extension. The icons are slightly different though. (See picture)

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: .sit unstuffs into .sit?

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

You can stuff (compress) and unstuff (decompress) files. If you drop a .sit file on dropstuff, you are going to stuff the already stuffed file again. Hence the double .sit extension.
To un-stuff you need to drop a .sit file on stuff-it expander. That way a new decompressed file/folder gets created which you can use like the original file. If your result is again a .sit file, unstuff it again.
If this doesn't work you might check whether your file was compressed with an older/newer version of stuffit.

Best,
Cat_7