All disks are locked when running BasiliskII on Raspberry Pi

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

wtimkey
Space Cadet

All disks are locked when running BasiliskII on Raspberry Pi

Post by wtimkey »

Hi everyone!
This is my first time posting on this forum. I don't have very much experience with Macintosh emulation/BasiliskII, but I've built a miniature version of a Macintosh with a raspberry pi inside. I installed the Retropie/emulationstation frontend, which comes with Basilisk. I added the rom and have tried many different .img disk files (that have all worked fine in the windows version) In all circumstances, every disk I've tried to use has been locked. From looking into the problem the only things that I've gathered are the error message on the console when starting BasiliskII which says "WARNING: No FSM present, disabling ExtFS" because this is a file system error, I'm assuming this might be the issue, but I know nothing about BasiliskII. I'm also wondering if the "UNIX Root" directory thing in the GUI has anything to do with it, as the Linux basilisk guide mentions that this part is necessary to ensure that basilisk has read/write access. Through retropie, I have no access to the GUI, only the preferences file. I think I know what might be causing the issue, but due to my lack of experience in this realm I have no idea how to fix it. I would really appreciate any help I can get! :lol:
-Will
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: All disks are locked when running BasiliskII on Raspberr

Post by adespoton »

This sounds more like a host OS issue than a Basilisk II issue. I'm not familiar with the OS setup you're using, but it sounds like it is Linux on the back end. Can you log in via ssh or telnet and chmod -R a+rw the directory that contains the img files? Because it sounds like Basilisk II can't write to the files.

The error is from https://iwidarwin.googlecode.com/svn/tr ... /extfs.cpp and indicates, if I'm reading it correctly, that BII is failing to load the shared folder indicated in the preferences file because there isn't a compatible FileSystem Manager extension available inside the guest OS. This is part of Mac OS from 7.5 onward I believe, and can be manually added to 7.1. Earlier OSes can't load a shared folder. So this is not your problem (it's a different one).
wtimkey
Space Cadet

Post by wtimkey »

Yes, its Linux. Its running a Raspbian back-end (based off of Debian) and EmulationStation is name of the front-end. I'll run that command as soon as I can, and let you know what happens. I'm not extremely familiar with Bash commands, but from my understanding, that command changes read-write access for a file, right?
wtimkey
Space Cadet

Post by wtimkey »

It worked!!! thanks so much!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Just so you know what you did:
chmod is the change access flags command
-R tells it to apply the command recursively through the directory structure from the point indicated
a tells it to apply the command for all accounts on the system
+rw says to make the files readable and writeable

Likely the image files were owned by root and read only for Basilisk II (whatever account was launching it). This should fix that issue for all the files you've added.

HOWEVER

If you add more files in the same way in the future, you'll have to do this again.