Can't copy BIN files in HFV Explorer under Windows XP

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

basilisk2user
Student Driver

Can't copy BIN files in HFV Explorer under Windows XP

Post by basilisk2user »

Perhaps someone can help me here. I am running Basilisk II (the latest build from Nov 2015) with HFV Explorer 1.3.1 in Windows XP (it's actually XP in a VM; the main system is Windows 7 64-bit but for some reason Basilisk will not run for me in Windows 7 even if I set it in XP compatibility mode).

I have downloaded several program files from MacintoshGarden.org which are in .sea.bin or .sit.bin format, and tried to copy them to the emulated Mac system drive in HFV Explorer for installing in the Mac system. However, when I try to do this I get an error: "Unsupported, unknown or corrupt MacBinary file." This has become incredibly frustrating, as one of the programs I am trying to get copied is Stuffit Expander, which is absolutely necessary for extracting most of these program installers within the Mac system itself. Including the program Toast, which I need to mount CD images that have installers or games on them. It's sort of a chicken-egg, Russian nesting doll, catch-22 problem here.

I haven't really done anything to the .bin files themselves other than download them to disk. I haven't tried extracting them with WinRAR or WinZIP or anything of that nature. All I try to do is copy them to HFV Explorer and still get an error. What am I doing wrong and what can I do so that these files can be copied over and I can install programs in the emulated Mac system?

It's System 7.5 with a 1GB Mac emulated disk in case you're wondering. Thanks for help in advance.
kataetheweirdo
Master Emulator

Re: Can't copy BIN files in HFV Explorer under Windows XP

Post by kataetheweirdo »

You need to have Stuff-It Expander 5.5 to extract .sea.bin and .sit.bin files. Stuff-It was fairly popular in the Mac community until the mid-2000's, when the .dmg format completely overtook Stuff-It.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

You need an existing disk image to start from really:
http://www.gryphel.com/c/sw/archive/index.html -- get the img file with StuffIt already on it, and mount it in BII. You can use this to decode the appledouble machinery files and decompress the embedded stuffit archives. Lots of threads on here from others with the same bootstrapping problems if you get stuck.
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

Which files are you specifically having problems with?

Using The Unarchiver is one option, but sticking with the aforementioned .img files is probably a better way to go.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

He's on Windows, so The Unarchiver's little sister, the unar.exe (downloadable from the previously mentioned Unarchiver website) would be the solution. But it would split the resource fork from the data fork, rendering the final result useless in the emulator.
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

adespoton wrote:He's on Windows, so The Unarchiver's little sister, the unar.exe (downloadable from the previously mentioned Unarchiver website) would be the solution. But it would split the resource fork from the data fork, rendering the final result useless in the emulator.
I linked not to The Unarchiver website, but to a guide specifically designed to circumvent that problem.
basilisk2user
Student Driver

Post by basilisk2user »

Unarchiver and Stuffit 9 have worked well, thanks. I still get the weird error but may have found a workaround.