Basilisk II on Raspberry PI has no sound

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

zc98
Space Cadet

Basilisk II on Raspberry PI has no sound

Post by zc98 »

I have Basilisk II working on a Raspberry PI 2 model B but I don't get any sound. Sound works in Mini vMac but I like having color and Basilisk II runs from the command line easily. The .basilisk_ii_prefs has dsp /dev/dsp and mixer /dev/mixer but I don't have either of these device files. I also tried on a Model B+ and didn't have any sound on that pi either. I tried using /dev/snd (because that device file existed on the pi) for the dsp setting but that didn't work either. What am I missing?

.basilisk_ii_prefs
disk /home/pi/Downloads/install.hfv
disk /home/pi/Downloads/transfer.hfv
extfs /home/pi/mac
rom /home/pi/mac/mac.rom
seriala /dev/ttyS0
serialb /dev/ttyS1
udptunnel false
udpport 6066
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 8388608
frameskip 6
modelid 5
cpu 3
fpu false
nocdrom false
nosound false
noclipconversion false
nogui false
jit false
jitfpu false
jitdebug false
jitcachesize 0
jitlazyflush false
jitinline false
keyboardtype 5
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
dsp /dev/snd
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv false
idlewait true
screen win/320/240
JimF
Space Cadet

Re: Basilisk II on Raspberry PI has no sound

Post by JimF »

I do not claim to know anything about this, I am fairly clueless in fact, but I do have sound in Basilisk and FWIW my Basilisk prefs on BOTH Mac OSX and Raspberry Pi 2 (RetroPie) have
dsp /dev/dsp
& NOT dsp /dev/snd

Good luck
Jim F
zc98
Space Cadet

Post by zc98 »

I had just tested /dev/snd and it didn't work but that was the .basilisk_ii_prefs file I listed in the post. I am back to /dev/dsp and it still doesn't work. I tried downloading RetroPie and I get the same result, sound works in minivMac but not in BasiliskII. I only have new Raspberry PI 2s I don't know if they changed something that breaks Basilisk II or not but I can't get sound to run on the PI 2 or the B+ that I bought last month. I have been doing Linux since the 90's and Raspberry PIs since they came out so I am not a complete noobie, but I just can't figure out what is wrong. Still looking, thanks for the tip.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

What happens if you output to a file or stdout instead of a virtual device? is any useful data emitted from BII? This would at least let you know if the problem lies within BII or within your DSP.
zc98
Space Cadet

Post by zc98 »

OK I pulled a noobie error, the sound was working, it was my app that did play sound properly. :roll: The Basilisk II program doesn't play the start up beep so I assumed the sound wasn't working because my app didn't play sound either. If I go to the Sound control panel I could play the alert sounds. D'oh. Mini vMac uses an older ROM and my apps sound only works with the older ROM. Thanks for the responses, and I'm sorry I wasted everybody's time.