Basilisk on Retropie : switch to 256 colors?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Nico07
Space Cadet

Basilisk on Retropie : switch to 256 colors?

Post by Nico07 »

Hi everyone,

I just bought a RPi2 and installed the latest version of Retropie.
My goal is to use the Basilisk emulator to play the games I used when I was young :-)
So I have System 7.5.5 and I configured Basilisk with 256MB of RAM and 1GB of hard drive.

The main problem I have is that almost all of my old games needs 8-bits color depth.
However when I try to switch it to 256 colors, the emulator just crashes and returns in Retropie main menu.

Hope you can help me to resolve this !!

Many thanks for your help.
Cheers.
Nico07
Space Cadet

Re: Basilisk on Retropie : switch to 256 colors?

Post by Nico07 »

Hi all,

To be sure, I re-installed mac OS 7.5.5 and Mac OS 7.6.1... with the same result...
No idea?
I am surprised that nobody encountered this problem yet...

Cheers.
Nicolas
Nico07
Space Cadet

Post by Nico07 »

I have some news on this error.
Here is the log produced:
### No appropriate blitter found
R/G/B mask values : 0x0000ff, 0x0000ff, 0x0000ff (depth = 8)
R/G/B shift values : 0/0/0
/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh: line 691: 2634 Aborted
Any idea?

Cheers.
Nicolas
Nico07
Space Cadet

Post by Nico07 »

It seems that when I enable the SDL, then I can turn the emulator into 256 colors... However, with SDL enabled, I have very poor performances :-(
Without SDL enabled, performances are amazing (but no 256 colors).

Why does the world so cruel with me !!!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

This has been a longstanding issue on the OS X side as well. OS X (and Retropie, it appears) does not have the ability to do native 256 color mode. SDL can do a graphics interpolation layer, so it can present a 256 color LUT to the emulator while displaying at native resolution (although only 256 of the native colors). X and Aqua can't do that.
Nico07
Space Cadet

Post by Nico07 »

adespoton wrote:This has been a longstanding issue on the OS X side as well. OS X (and Retropie, it appears) does not have the ability to do native 256 color mode. SDL can do a graphics interpolation layer, so it can present a 256 color LUT to the emulator while displaying at native resolution (although only 256 of the native colors). X and Aqua can't do that.
Hi Adespoton,
Thanks for your reply.
So, you are saying that there is no way currently to get good performance and 256 colors on retropie?
And if I understand well, on OS X, it works (I just tested it) because of usage of SDL?
If it is the case => :sad:

Anyway, thanks for your feedback :wink:
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Yeah; unfortunately, that seems to be the case. The only workaround I can see is to do something to make retropie fake a 256 color mode for BII. I presume it is currently displaying directly via X?
Nico07
Space Cadet

Post by Nico07 »

adespoton wrote:Yeah; unfortunately, that seems to be the case. The only workaround I can see is to do something to make retropie fake a 256 color mode for BII. I presume it is currently displaying directly via X?
I admit that I don't have the technical skills to answer you :)
Do you know how I can contact Basilisk creators to ask them if they could help to resolve this?
Thanks again.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Regular development of BasiliskII (and SheepShaver) stopped in 2006. The original creators of these emulators are not involved anymore. In the past ten years, different users with programmer skills have contributed to the source code with occasional fixes and improvements.
Nico07
Space Cadet

Post by Nico07 »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:Regular development of BasiliskII (and SheepShaver) stopped in 2006. The original creators of these emulators are not involved anymore. In the past ten years, different users with programmer skills have contributed to the source code with occasional fixes and improvements.
Hi Ronald,
Many thanks for your quick response and clear information.
So, there is no (or very few) chance that this problem is resolved...
Thanks.