Corrupted Applications transformed to documents

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Varum
Student Driver

Corrupted Applications transformed to documents

Post by Varum »

Hi,

using Basilistik II with Mac OS 7.5.3 I try to restore applications coming from different medias. Some of them were copied many times between tape, cd-rom, PC, Mac !

Some are OK and work perfectly well (thanks Basilisk), other get a "document" icon. They won't launch. Finder try to find an app to launch.

Is there any chance to rescue them using Resedit ?

Thanks.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Corrupted Applications transformed to documents

Post by adespoton »

Depends... if they've just lost their type and creator, ResEdit can fix this (or use FileBuddy, it makes things even easier).

However, if you copied applications to non-HFS media, you've likely lost the entire resource fork, which contains pretty much all the data you need to actually do anything. This can't be fixed.

When I ran into this problem, I have to admit that in a few cases, I resorted to replacing my mangled legit copies of software with copies from elsewhere after my main HDD failed. That was back circa 1998; I learned my lesson about saving Mac files to ISO 9660 CDs without archiving first. Of course, being able to back up to multiple AFS HFS+ multiterabyte drives these days makes things much simpler. My first 350MB HDD cost a LOT of money; CD-Rs were comparatively cheap when they came out.