Compiling Basilisk II for OS X

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

adespoton
Forum All-Star

Compiling Basilisk II for OS X

Post by adespoton »

So... I'm finally looking at the source for BII, and it appears that building on OS X is totally undocumented since the code rearranging; the best comments I've got on how to do it are out of the changelog.

In there, it say sto go to the Unix folder, do autoconf, autoheader and then configure --enable-macosx-gui. However, this seems to be a bit lacking, as autoconf and configure both throw errors.

No matter what configure flags I use, I get:

Code: Select all

./configure: line 7302: syntax error near unexpected token `1.3.15,'
./configure: line 7302: `  AM_PATH_GTK_2_0(1.3.15,'
This seems to indicate it is trying to compile against GTK 2, which is odd, as I enabled macosx gui and disabled X. I tried with SDL and without.

Help?
rickyzhang
Apple Corer

Re: Compiling Basilisk II for OS X

Post by rickyzhang »

It is for pref editor. Mac OS X GUI requires a specific version of Cocoa which El Captain SDK doesn't support. I have to disable it use GTK2, instead. I installed GTK2 from macport.

I belive you don't need a UI for pref editor. You can always copy pref from somewhere. So find a way to disable all UI if any.

Update --
see my configure with SDL, X and GTK
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... f=6&t=9022
There is an App for that!
https://github.com/rickyzhang82
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Compiling Basilisk II for OS X

Post by adespoton »

Thanks! That's the thread I was looking for :)

Oh, and Nigel emailed me his old XCode project for BII -- which means that I might be able to use it as a template to create a replacement UI for "modern" BII; this would include a prefs editor and a button-and-menu system for interacting with all the keyboard shortcuts (interrupt, full screen, pause/resume, etc.).

Once I know where to hook it in (which I think your thread mostly covers) we should be able to get a real Cocoa UI back on the Mac build again.