Problem Installing 7.5.3 on New Basilisk II Mac Install

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

stickfigure
Space Cadet

Problem Installing 7.5.3 on New Basilisk II Mac Install

Post by stickfigure »

I'm hopeful that someone can help me with this problem.

I'm new to the Basilisk II Mac environment, in fact I started last night.

First off I have a Late 2012 Mac mini, i7, 16Gig RAM running OS Sierra 10.12.4.
Here's my problem: I followed all of the instructions posted on this site (http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/bas ... _osx_setup) including creating the 'Shared' folder and putting the 19, sys 7.5.3 files in said folder.
When I transfer these files to my 'InstallerParts' volume and then open the volume the files are all listed as 'documents' including 'System_7.5.3_01of19.smi'. I never see the part 1 icon pictured on the instructions and the file is never listed as an 'application program'.
I thought something had happened during the download of the files so I went back and grabbed them again, same result.
I grabbed them from another site that had them all in zip form, unzipped them, installed them and same result.

I know I must be doing something wrong. Probably something 'forehead slapping' simple.
Any help is really appreciated.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Problem Installing 7.5.3 on New Basilisk II Mac Install

Post by adespoton »

If you directly downloaded a .smi file, it is likely appledouble (macbinary) encoded, and so will need to be decoded before it will run and mount. Opening it with Stuffit Expander (from within Expander) should do the trick.

Otherwise, if it was hosted on a non-HFS server as a .smi, the resource fork was lost before you ever downloaded it. There's no way to get it to work in that case.

One suggestion that will help streamline things is to get a copy of Aladdin ShrinkWrap; it will open DiskCopy disks, ShrinkWrap disks, and many other formats, and ties into Expander such that you can auto-extract and mount.

I hope this helps.
stickfigure
Space Cadet

Post by stickfigure »

Thanks. I'll give that a try.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Though it would be recommendable to find out what went wrong on your side -
You might use this bootable image for now: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/macos-753-emulators
The English image does have the installer included, in case you want to set up a new drive from scratch later.
stickfigure
Space Cadet

Post by stickfigure »

So, as it turns out, adespoton hit the nail on the head. Problem solved.

Thanks to you both for your help.

As a side note, I tried this: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/macos-753-emulators
It kept asking me to insert the System Install Disk. Once again I have to believe I was doing something wrong.
stickfigure
Space Cadet

Post by stickfigure »

That worked, thanks again.