.Sit files are corrupted on Basilisk II and Stuff It Expander

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

WinMac64
Space Cadet

.Sit files are corrupted on Basilisk II and Stuff It Expander

Post by WinMac64 »

I was downloading Just Grandma And Me.Sit file and have a successful 8.1 OS on my Basilisk II. I first tried to put the sit file as a volumes list on the emulator itself but any sit file I downloaded would want to initialize the disk and then it's blank. So I tried Stuff it Expander on my Windows 10 and when doing so it says something is wrong and it cancels it. I am at my wits end on what to do with SIT Files. Are SIT files for Sheepshaver only?
jonirob
Tinkerer

Re: .Sit files are corrupted on Basilisk II and Stuff It Expander

Post by jonirob »

Use HFVExplorer to copy the SIT from Windows to your 8.1 HD, then use Stuffit Expander 5.5 to unstuff it from there.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: .Sit files are corrupted on Basilisk II and Stuff It Expander

Post by adespoton »

WinMac64 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:20 pm I was downloading Just Grandma And Me.Sit file and have a successful 8.1 OS on my Basilisk II. I first tried to put the sit file as a volumes list on the emulator itself but any sit file I downloaded would want to initialize the disk and then it's blank. So I tried Stuff it Expander on my Windows 10 and when doing so it says something is wrong and it cancels it. I am at my wits end on what to do with SIT Files. Are SIT files for Sheepshaver only?
If you're downloading the file on your host system (Windows 10), make sure you've created a shared folder in the Basilisk II settings, and move the .sit file to that folder.

Then from within Basilisk II, you should be able to copy the file from the "My Computer" disk onto the OS 8.1 disk (don't drag to the desktop, as each volume has its own desktop). Once it's stored on a disk image, you can then run Stuffit Expander from within Mac OS 8.1 to expand the archive.

Stuffit archives on classic Mac OS are just like zip files on Windows -- they're an archive, and you need software that can unarchive them to make them usable.