Some Questions About Shoebill?

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

darthnvader
Mac Mechanic

Some Questions About Shoebill?

Post by darthnvader »

I've installed the latest binary of Shoebill, and set up Tun/Tap networking, with Systems 3.0.1 of AU, but I can't seem to install a working Web Browser. IE 3 requires CFM-68K Runtime Enabler, and iCab requires Macintosh Drag and Drop, Thread Manager, and Dragging Enabler.

I installed those Extensions to the Systems Folder and rebooted, but they don't load?

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Some Questions About Shoebill?

Post by adespoton »

Normally when using A/UX, you want to be using the unix layer, not the System 7.1 boot stack. I can't say I've ever attempted to run a browser in the boot stack for A/UX -- it's easy to install lynx and run from the command line; plus, you get a fairly snappy (text only) browser that way.
pruten
Tinkerer

Post by pruten »

IIRC, I don't recall getting any version of Netscape or iCab running successfully. And the one version of IE I got running was earlier than 3, I think (maybe 2.something?) Whatever version it was, IE had a really hard time rendering any modern website. Google just barely sorta worked a little bit...

Regarding those extensions - dumb question - but are you installing them in the right system folder? Each user on A/UX gets their own system folder, so if you're running as root, the folder you want is /mac/sys/System Folder
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Here's a useful list of browsers: http://main.system7today.com/otherbrowsers.html

Note that while Netscape 4.8 is the most stable browser, the earliest OS it supports is 7.6.1, and A/UX only goes to 7.1.

So in reality, you're probably going to want to go with something from this list:

http://www.ccadams.org/se/macweb.html

There is also WannaBe if you don't want to use Lynx but are fine with text-only.

[edit] note that NONE of the above browsers support TLS 1.2 and later, which means that any modern HTTPS links won't work -- and the WWW is quickly moving to HTTPS as a default. I'd expect sometime in the next 5 years for there to be very little content still viewable with a browser written before 2005.
darthnvader
Mac Mechanic

Post by darthnvader »

Thanks for the replies, I don't really know anything about A/UNX.

I'll look into what System Folder to install things to.