AppleTalk network between two PCs with Basilisk II

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

CFran2
Mac Mechanic

AppleTalk network between two PCs with Basilisk II

Post by CFran2 »

Anyone knows how to put two PCs with Basilisk II connected with AppleTalk so you can do n,etwork shit between the two Basilisk such as playin Super Maze Wars in network?
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Yes.

Just set them up as if they are Macs on an AppleWork network.

There used to be a webpage tutorial on setting things up on Basilisk II ... somewhere.
The Balance Of Judgement
Apple Corer

Post by The Balance Of Judgement »

Make sure each machine has the Ethernet drivers installed on the Windows side, and in the control Panel under File SHaring, make sure each Basilisk II machine has a unique computer name. In control panels, select "Appletalk" and set it to ethernet.

You should now be able to share files back and forth and do networking. If you share files you can use Control Panels to set passwords etc.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

You also have to use the Users & Groups control panel to add the other Basilisk II computer name. Share a folder via the File Menu. Start file sharing. Use the Chooser to mount the network drive,
CFran2
Mac Mechanic

Post by CFran2 »

"In control panels, select "Appletalk" and set it to ethernet"

um.. can you do it if you choose Router instead of Ethernet? cuz inever managed to make ethernet with the driver and all that.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

AppleTalk won't work using the built-in router (according to the Windows porter). You will need to install the Basilisk II Ethernet driver.
The Balance Of Judgement
Apple Corer

To install the driver, open up your control panel in Windows and select "Network" Each version of Windows is unique but when the point comes where you see a list of protocalls and devices that are installed, click "Install" and select "Protocal" not device. I made this mistake my first time too thinking I was installing a virtual device.
CFran2
Mac Mechanic

Post by CFran2 »

damn, how come it wont work with router?
SSS
Granny Smith

Basilisk II Ethernet Driver for Windows XP

Post by SSS »

Where to I get the ethernet driver for Windows XP (NT 5.1)?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

The normal ethernet driver also works with XP and it's contained in the basilisk download

Cat_7
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

Thanks, I figured it out. I have a question, though. Do you have to use a network card to use the ethernet feature? Or can you use something else (ie, PC Port, which is what I have.)?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

No sure what a pc port is? You mean a pc card interface on a laptop?
That should work.

Take care about appletalk. It's a so called non-routable protocol, so it can't pass a router.
Don't know much about tunneling appletalk through tcp-ip. Might be possible.

I connect through the ethernet driver to a w2003 server running appletalk and have a mac share on it.

Cat_7
The Balance Of Judgement
Apple Corer

Basilisk II only supports AppleTalk over Ethernet cards. So, it doesn't matter what type of Ethernet card is installed.....it could be BNC, RJ45, ISA, PCI, PCMCIA, as long as it is Ethernet it should work.

Perhaps you could define "PC Port". If you mean a serial port, then no, the driver won't work for a serial port.

AppleTalk can be routed over IP, as there is a software package from The Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering at the University of Melbourne located at: http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/appletalk/. The applications there are quite powerfull for connecting remote networks. From what I can last recall, they do work fine in Basilisk II, but any portion of the software that relates to modems and serial ports may not work. Some are free, others are demos.

Some routers also have a AppleTalk router built into them, allowing networks to be bridged, but these are few and far between and generally are not in a price range where just anyone has them.
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

Which software do I download?

EDIT: I downloaded a program called IPRemote. In the AppleTalk control panel, I select IPRemote, I enter the IP Address of the Mac, correct user name and password. It attempts to connect, but then I get a message saying that there's no remote appletalk server running, but filesharing is enabled, so I don't understand why it isn't connecting.
The Balance Of Judgement
Apple Corer

I'm not 100% sure of what you are trying to do..and remember, connecting over IP only works if a Mac has AppleTalk IP sharing enabled.

Perhaps you could clearly state what exactly you want to do, ie; the reason behind networking machines then maybe I can give you an idea of what software to use.
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

I would like to be able to connect to another Mac emulation (on another PC) via the Chooser.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

A small guide, working for me:

In Windows:
1. You install the ethernet driver on both machines
2. You use the Basilisk Gui to set:
Under ethernet preferences:
-At Network card NDIS driver, select the network card to use
-At Multicast packets, select "Get appletalk multicast packets" (not sure if this is really nesseccary)
-Save your changes

In Mac OS:
1. In Control Panel "TCP/IP": Give both macs a different ip-address on your network, make sure they can access the internet.
2. In Control Panel "File Sharing" (not sure if this is the correct name as I have a Dutch installation of OS 8 )
-Fill in a different network identity for both machines (Name, password, computer name)
-Start File Sharing

3. Make sure in the Appletalk control panel at "connect through" you have selected "ethernet"

4. Start the Chooser, click on Appletalk "Active" if it is not already active
-Click on AppleShare and the other computer should show up.

Cat_7
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

I've been thinking this over off and on for a few days.

Shouldn't there be a network card "dedicated" for Basilisk II's use along with another NIC for Windows' networking use? Since you need a second card installed on a PC to use Basilisk II's Ethernet, both PCs in this case need two Ethernet cards installed to use Ethernet\AppleTalk between emulated Mac OSes.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

No, this isn't true. You just need 1 network card in every machine. The basiliskII ethernet driver piggy-backs on it. And on that TCP/IP connection Appletalk piggy-backs.

Cat_7
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

Cat_7 wrote:A small guide, working for me:

In Windows:
1. You install the ethernet driver on both machines
2. You use the Basilisk Gui to set:
Under ethernet preferences:
-At Network card NDIS driver, select the network card to use
-At Multicast packets, select "Get appletalk multicast packets" (not sure if this is really nesseccary)
-Save your changes

In Mac OS:
1. In Control Panel "TCP/IP": Give both macs a different ip-address on your network, make sure they can access the internet.
2. In Control Panel "File Sharing" (not sure if this is the correct name as I have a Dutch installation of OS 8 )
-Fill in a different network identity for both machines (Name, password, computer name)
-Start File Sharing

3. Make sure in the Appletalk control panel at "connect through" you have selected "ethernet"

4. Start the Chooser, click on Appletalk "Active" if it is not already active
-Click on AppleShare and the other computer should show up.

Cat_7
I have a machine that uses a network card, but the other computer which I want to connect from the Basilisk II from that machine with NIC doesn't use the NIC. It uses 2Wire PC Port (Serial). I'm thinking since the PC's are already networked, the NIC computer should be able to detect the other Basilisk II. I'll try it out this afternoon. Thanks. :)

EDIT: On my other computer, I found out the Address of my PC Port, and I go to the one that uses a NIC, but that Basilisk II doesn't see the other Basilisk II via the Chooser. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

SSS wrote: On my other computer, I found out the Address of my PC Port, and I go to the one that uses a NIC, but that Basilisk II doesn't see the other Basilisk II via the Chooser. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Anyone?
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

You could try to use the "Microsoft Loopback Adapter", which creates a virtual ethernet card (use the "add new hardware" wizard to install it), and with that you could use something like WinGate to route AppleTalkIP packets between it and the serial port adapter.
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

PPC_Digger wrote:You could try to use the "Microsoft Loopback Adapter", which creates a virtual ethernet card (use the "add new hardware" wizard to install it), and with that you could use something like WinGate to route AppleTalkIP packets between it and the serial port adapter.
Thanks, I will try that. :)

EDIT: Do I need WinGate or WinGate VPN?

EDIT 2: Is there an easier way to network the 2 Basilisks?
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

SSS wrote: EDIT 2: Is there an easier way to network the 2 Basilisks?
Well, is there?
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

OK, I'm thinking I'm almost there. On both Basilisk II's, I upgraded the AppleShare client (to have the Server IP Address button in Chooser) and Open Transport. I can connect to other file servers over IP (I tested it and I got the "Connect to the file server "blah blah" as:" window), but I can't connect to the other Basilisk. I enter the IP Address of the other Mac, but then Mac OS hangs and does nothing. Can anyone help?