Mini vMac: September 7

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ClockWise
Site Admin

Mini vMac: September 7

Post by ClockWise »

Lost of info about the current state of Mini vMac over on the official page:

http://minivmac.sourceforge.net/

Mostly about the new Mac II emulation.

Wow!
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I compiled the new snapshot for Windows:

http://www.emaculation.com/minivmac/minivmacmacII.exe

I don't have the proper ROM image, so I cannot test it out. But... it ought to work.
Gryffin
Student Driver

Post by Gryffin »

ClockWise wrote:I don't have the proper ROM image, so I cannot test it out. But... it ought to work.
That could be a problem. ;{)

I've used Mini vMac for years, and I would looooove to help test this out; but although I've accumulated a wide array of Mac ROMs, the Mac II ROM just can't be found anywhere.

Obviously, *somebody* is running the new MacII emulation in Mini vMac; can anybody give me a hint where to search for this elusive ROM?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I have not tried them, but this looks like a large collection: http://kdxvcfa.dyndns.ws:8080/Downloads ... ple%20mac/
(Use right mouse button on the links to save to disk.)
Ambassador
Apple Corer

Post by Ambassador »

Unfortunately, none of those are the original Macintosh II, and I don't think a MacII variation rom (ci, fx, etc.) will work.
Gryffin
Student Driver

Post by Gryffin »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:I have not tried them, but this looks like a large collection: http://kdxvcfa.dyndns.ws:8080/Downloads ... ple%20mac/
(Use right mouse button on the links to save to disk.)
Thanks!! There are a few there I don't have...

Sadly, no MacII.ROM, and the previous poster is correct, Mini vMac won't work with just any Mac II-series ROM. I tried.

The search goes on....
Ambassador
Apple Corer

Post by Ambassador »

On the plus side, you can emulate a Classic more or less. I was a betatester who helped make this possible.

This means you can emulate the "eccentric" System 6.08L:

Gryffin
Student Driver

Post by Gryffin »

I know; I've compiled several variations of Mini vMac to simulate everything from a 128k to a Classic.

But ever since BasiliskII lost the ability to run System 6 (Why the HECK hasn't that been fixed, anyway??), there's been no way to run Sys 6 in color. I know, "Who cares?" Well, I have fond memories of Sys6 on a Mac II (and later, Mac IIci), and it's frustrating that I can't emulate it. I'd like to help Mini vMac's developer get there if possible, but I can't contribute without that $%^& ROM...
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I have here a file, do not remember where I got it from, 262,144 bytes, that is labeled (do not know by whom): "1988-1989 II (HDFD) IIx IIcx SE30 68020-68030.rom". Could that be the rom file you are looking for?
Gryffin
Student Driver

Post by Gryffin »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:I have here a file, do not remember where I got it from, 262,144 bytes, that is labeled (do not know by whom): "1988-1989 II (HDFD) IIx IIcx SE30 68020-68030.rom". Could that be the rom file you are looking for?
Thanks, but no. Apparently the latest Mini vMac builds work *only* on the *original* Mac II ROM; even the later version of the Mac II with FDHD floppies used a different ROM, which is the one you have. The same ROM was also used in the Mac IIx, Mac IIcx, and Mac SE/30.

(As an aside, that's the ROM that got Apple in a world of trouble. They'd been advertising the models with that ROM as "32-bit capable", but the ROM was *not* 32-bit clean; thankfully for Apple, their buddies at Connectix created a patch called MODE32 that made that ROM fully 32-bit clean. Connectix originally sold MODE32, but after Apple got sued over the issue, they arranged for Connectix to give it away for free.)
Ambassador
Apple Corer

Post by Ambassador »

Now that the Executor source code has been released, perhaps we should be thinking of making our own MacII rom lol.
Gryffin
Student Driver

Post by Gryffin »

Gryffin wrote:Thanks, but no. Apparently the latest Mini vMac builds work *only* on the *original* Mac II ROM; even the later version of the Mac II with FDHD floppies used a different ROM, which is the one you have. The same ROM was also used in the Mac IIx, Mac IIcx, and Mac SE/30.
Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle!

Paul C. Pratt, the developer of Mini vMac, set me straight: it seems that MacIIx ROM *will* work, although it throws up an error message that the "ROM version is not supported". You just have to "Hit the 'C' key to Continue" or wait about ten seconds, and it will continue to boot.

Thanks everyone for the help!!
Ambassador
Apple Corer

Post by Ambassador »

Paul C. Pratt, the developer of Mini vMac, set me straight: it seems that MacIIx ROM *will* work, although it throws up an error message that the "ROM version is not supported". You just have to "Hit the 'C' key to Continue" or wait about ten seconds, and it will continue to boot.
I should have remembered about that! Thanks!
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Post by yksoft1 »

Gryffin wrote:
Gryffin wrote:Thanks, but no. Apparently the latest Mini vMac builds work *only* on the *original* Mac II ROM; even the later version of the Mac II with FDHD floppies used a different ROM, which is the one you have. The same ROM was also used in the Mac IIx, Mac IIcx, and Mac SE/30.

I will dump my SE/30 ROM to try..thanks
Ambassador
Apple Corer

Post by Ambassador »

Well, I confirmed I can boot a System 6.0.8 boot image with the MiniVmac build posted above and an IIx/SE30 ROM. However, actually installing system 6.08 is a whole other story:

yksoft1
Master Emulator

Post by yksoft1 »

yksoft1 wrote:
Gryffin wrote:

I will dump my SE/30 ROM to try..thanks
The result using my SE/30 ROM with 7.0.1 and 7.5.5:
no sound, many FPU-aware apps crash, unstable when set to use 8MB RAM.
Ambassador
Apple Corer

Post by Ambassador »

you used a system 7 boot image and not a full install I assume?

And you can use quicktime in B&W? I didn't know this.
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Post by yksoft1 »

Ambassador wrote:you used a system 7 boot image and not a full install I assume?

And you can use quicktime in B&W? I didn't know this.
System, Finder, some fonts, Worldscript II files and minimum extensions.

Quicktime even worked on my SE/30. This is a miracle made by the Apple without Steve Jobs.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

"This is a miracle made by the Apple without Steve Jobs."

FTW!
Ambassador
Apple Corer

Post by Ambassador »

In the second and third pics, what does that circle in between the "?" menu and the current application menu mean?
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Post by yksoft1 »

Ambassador wrote:In the second and third pics, what does that circle in between the "?" menu and the current application menu mean?
Obviously you did not have used any Asian version of Mac OS.
The circle is a sign of Japanese keyboard (when Kotoeri input method is not installed).
Ambassador
Apple Corer

Post by Ambassador »

Obviously you did not have used any Asian version of Mac OS.
The circle is a sign of Japanese keyboard (when Kotoeri input method is not installed).
Oh I see. So it would show a different flag if it was a different language keyboard.
DAVID123
Space Cadet

Post by DAVID123 »

('8) you can name the rom macIIx and see if it works
Silent Flamer
Master Emulator

Post by Silent Flamer »

It seems the IIx version has released . About being unable to install 6.0.8 in the IIx variation , as Paul C. Pratt says , you can install the disk from the original Macintosh Plus version and boot it in the IIx .