SheepShaver OSX with full screen option working available

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Cat_7
Expert User

SheepShaver OSX with full screen option working available

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

EDIT: please refer to the following thread:
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5567

EDIT: Hopefully I have solved the error some downloaders reported below, the link is now to the new build!

Thanks to our forum member vasi we now have the capability to run SheepShaver full screen in OSX :lol:

Pick the build up here:
http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/downloads/She ... Screen.zip

Happy testing...

Cat_7
Last edited by Cat_7 on Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

Wonderful! I was wondering, though, is this the "hardware" or "software" version (like in the latest unofficial builds). Is there a possibility of creating a new ZIP containing both versions so that users can pick the one most according to their taste?

Thanks.
bamdad
Tinkerer

beta testing..

Post by bamdad »

hi,

thanks for the build, unfortunately, it doesn't even start. instead, it quits with this:
i might be doing something wrong, but this looks like a bug to me..

--

edit: oh, and before you ask, the sdl framework _is_ loaded.
bamdad
Tinkerer

more beta testing..

Post by bamdad »

okay, i tries to create a symbolic link with this command:

Code: Select all

ln -s /Library/Frameworks/SDL.framework/Versions/Current/SDL /usr/local/lib/libSDL-1.2.0.dylib
but i get the same error message with this appended to the end:

'(...)Reason: Incompatible library version: SheepShaver requires version 12.0.0 or later, but libSDL-1.2.0.dylib provides version 1.0.0'

weird, don't you think? unfortunately, this is the point where my skills end.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Ok,

I understand. There will be a new build without that dependency!
It possible....:roll:

Best,
Cat_7
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I updated the first post. The build should now include the referenced SDL libraries. My already limited skills are getting a bit rusty...

Best wishes,
Cat_7
bamdad
Tinkerer

Post by bamdad »

thanks, it's working flawlessly now. performance is great, much better than the windowed version, and i can switch to 256 colors without any problems.
dolarfred
Student Driver

Crash

Post by dolarfred »

Crash
I'm still on osx TIGER

trying the new build the programm doesn't want to load
see below the console message

===== jeudi 26 février 2009 09 h 03 Europe/Paris =====
dyld: Symbol not found: _NSDefaultRunLoopMode
Referenced from: /Applications/EMULATORS/SheepShaver/SheepShaver_25_02_2009.app/Contents/MacOS/SheepShaver
Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation

Feb 26 09:05:04 Ordi crashdump[672]: SheepShaver crashed
billearl
Space Cadet

Escape from Full Screen

Post by billearl »

After booting in full screen mode, how does one access the SheepShaver preferences to switch back to windowed mode? Thanks.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

You can't: You will need the stand alone preferences program provided with the original SheepShaver build from here: http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/projects ... SX.tar.bz2

Or you have to edit the hidden preferences file by hand.

Cat_7
vasi
Tinkerer

Re: Crash

Post by vasi »

dolarfred wrote: dyld: Symbol not found: _NSDefaultRunLoopMode
Referenced from: /Applications/EMULATORS/SheepShaver/SheepShaver_25_02_2009.app/Contents/MacOS/SheepShaver
Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation
Hmm, looks like there's some remnant of 10.5 in the build. Cat_7, what are you doing to build against the 10.4 SDK? If I set MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET, use -isysroot and -Wl,-syslibroot , and use an SDL.framework, my build has no trace of NSDefaultRunLoopMode .
herecomethej2000
Student Driver

Post by herecomethej2000 »

Can there be a Universal build for this? Because, I could be wrong, but I think I noticed a small performance boost in the July 2008 build by launching it with Rosseta enabled. Especially sound wise.

In any case, running at the same settings without Rosseta in the old build, I think this new build is slightly slower then the July one. At least, it has been more stuttery in windowed mode though i think it has been faring faster in full screen but it hasn't been as smooth as the old build in some applications.

For those interested, Ive been getting excellent results in sheepshaver with my the 4 meg ROM file from my Beige G3 for a while now.

Another thing, I have noticed that full screen mode doesn't like the billions of color mode and I get fat transparent purple bars. Is that to be expected in full screen mode?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

This only an Intel build!

I compiled it using the following settings/tools:

path set to release-1.2.13 of SDL

NO_CONFIGURE=1 ACLOCAL_FLAGS="-I m4" ./autogen.sh
./configure --enable-sdl-static --enable-sdl-video --enable-sdl-audio --disable-vosf

The earlier version was compiled without --enable-sdl-static and showed the dependency errors reported above.
Perhaps with the current additions in CVS a better build can be achieved.

btw: I only have a PearPC OSX 10.4.11 installation for building PPC executables

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

This (with SDL 1.2.13) is how the July 2008 SheepShaver "S" build was compiled in Tiger. So much has changed in CVS recently, that I wonder if the same settings and tools should be used now and if it should still be possible to build the application in Tiger for use in both Leopard and Tiger, like I did last year.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

As per the latest CVS entries, you should be able to build from the /SheepShaver/src/Unix folder with:

./autogen.sh --disable-standalone-gui --enable-vosf --enable-sdl-framework --enable-sdl-framework-prefix=/cvs/Frameworks/SDL-1.2.13 --enable-sdl-video --disable-sdl-audio --enable-addressing=real --without-esd --without-gtk --without-mon --without-x

This requires downloading the SDL.framework (both version 1.2.10 and 1.2.13 tried) into the folder referenced with "--enable-sdl-framework-prefix=/cvs/Frameworks/SDL-1.2.13"
or where you downloaded the SDL.framework

On Leopard Intel this works, but on Tiger Intel I get an error stating:
checking size of short... configure: error: cannot compute sizeof (short), 77

Config.log contains this:
#define PACKAGE_TARNAME "SheepShaver"
#define PACKAGE_VERSION "2.3"
#endif
#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C" void std::exit (int); using std::exit;

configure: exit 1

Also, the Leopard Intel executable doesn't work on Tiger Intel. When ran from the Tiger terminal, it shows:
/Users/hsp/SheepShaver/SheepShaver.app/Contents/MacOS/SheepShaver; exit
dyld: Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL
Referenced from: /Users/hsp/SheepShaver/SheepShaver.app/Contents/MacOS/SheepShaver
Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap
logout
[Process completed]

It seems it requires the installation of the SDL framework in Tiger, a prerequisite I tried to solve by static linking of the SDL libraries with --enable-sdl-static. However, this will also not work.

So I tried to install the SDL.framework in ~/Library/Frameworks on Tiger.
If I then execute SheepShaver from the terminal, I get:
/Users/hsp/SheepShaver/SheepShaver.app/Contents/MacOS/SheepShaver; exit
(18361) malloc: *** vm_allocate(size=8421376) failed (error code=268435459)
(18361) malloc: *** error: can't allocate region
(18361) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in szone_error to debug
Segmentation fault
logout
[Process completed]

So, question is: how to get SheepShaver to compile so it is executable on both Tiger and Leopard and retains the new full screen option, because if I build on Tiger Intel (with the SDL installation (not the framework) I had before) SheepShaver would not be able to full-screen on Leopard Intel.

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

It is all very confusing. It would be nice when someone would explain the changes in terms that I can understand (being not computer illiterate but no programmer) before I try and build new UB versions.

Why, what for:

--disable-standalone-gui (not needed last summer)
--enable-vosf (needed to be "--disable-vosf" before)
--enable-addressing=real --without-esd --without-gtk --without-mon --without-x (not yet last summer)

Also: I used SDL differently.

This is how I built the July 2008 versions:
mkdir SheepShaverBuild
cd SheepShaverBuild

cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.cebix.net:/home/cvs/cebix login

(password: "anoncvs")

cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.cebix.net:/home/cvs/cebix checkout BasiliskII
cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.cebix.net:/home/cvs/cebix checkout SheepShaver

mkdir SDL
cd SDL
svn checkout http://svn.libsdl.org/tags/SDL/release-1.2.13
cd release-1.2.13
./autogen.sh
./configure --disable-shared --prefix=`pwd`
make
make install

PATH=`pwd`/bin:$PATH
export PATH
cd ../..

cd SheepShaver
make links

cd src/Unix
NO_CONFIGURE=1 ACLOCAL_FLAGS="-I m4" ./autogen.sh
./configure --enable-sdl-static --enable-sdl-video --enable-sdl-audio --disable-vosf

make
make SheepShaver_app
This was for the "S" version. The "H" version was built with SDL 1.2.10.

Built in Tiger on both Intel and PPC and the Intel and PPC versions joined to a UB with lipo.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Yes, of course, that's what I used in the first place to build the executable with full screen support on Tiger Intel. However, the result didn't work as expected in Leopard. But if you use the same build method in Leopard, it will support full screen, hence the different versions I linked to you...

Best,
Cat_7
vasi
Tinkerer

Building for Tiger

Post by vasi »

Hey folks, I've built a number of different apps so that they work on different architectures and different versions of the OS. To build so things can run on multiple versions of OS X, you need to use an SDK. (See Apple's docs.) The short version is to export the following environment variables before you run ./configure:

Code: Select all

export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4
export CPPFLAGS="-isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk"
export LDFLAGS="-Wl,-syslibroot,/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk"
You should also try to build against an SDL framework (which you can then put inside SheepShaver.app/Contents/Frameworks). Finally, for a universal build you can build for ppc by adding "-arch ppc" to CPPFLAGS/LDFLAGS, and then use lipo to combine the ppc and i386 builds--but this can get a bit complicated.

I'll be around to help out, maybe I can even put together a build script one of these days.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I use Leopard on my Intel Core 2 Duo iMac, but I can still startup in Tiger also. On my PowerBook G4 I have currently Tiger installed. I built the July 21 2008 build that most forum members are now using. I would like some answers before I try to make a new UB build again with the current source. I hate to loose time by experimenting needlessly.

1. Last year I built SheepShaver in Tiger. It works in both Tiger and Leopard. I did not use an SDK. Why should that now be different if I again would build in Tiger? Maybe this is only needed when building in Leopard? Or could the fact that I have XCode Tools 2.5 installed in Tiger be relevant?

2. I built the Intel version on my iMac and the PPC version on my PowerBook. Combining them using lipo was easy.

3. What about the other differences with how I compiled SheepShaver last year? Are they related to recent changes in CVS or is there a different reason?

--enable-addressing=real --without-esd --without-gtk --without-mon --without-x (not yet last summer)

4. No SDL framework in SheepShaver.app/Contents/Frameworks in previous builds, why is it needed now?
vasi
Tinkerer

Post by vasi »

Most of my changes are not necessary, just useful.
1. Last year I built SheepShaver in Tiger. It works in both Tiger and Leopard. I did not use an SDK. Why should that now be different if I again would build in Tiger? Maybe this is only needed when building in Leopard? Or could the fact that I have XCode Tools 2.5 installed in Tiger be relevant?
This just lets you build on Leopard, yes. But the same technique works for building on Tiger/Leopard so it works on Panther, or building on Snow Leopard so it works on previous versions.
2. I built the Intel version on my iMac and the PPC version on my PowerBook. Combining them using lipo was easy.
That's fine, but using -arch would let you build both on the same machine.
3. What about the other differences with how I compiled SheepShaver last year? Are they related to recent changes in CVS or is there a different reason?

--disable-standalone-gui is because there is now an integrated GUI. But maybe people using fullscreen mode would appreciate having a standalone GUI.

On my machine, --disable-vosf is faster than --enable-vosf. But either should work, up to you.

The other options look ok.
4. No SDL framework in SheepShaver.app/Contents/Frameworks in previous builds, why is it needed now?
It's not needed, but Apple recommends linking against internal libraries rather than building statically.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I have created a new build of SheepShaver for Intel Mac, including the full screen patch. It is available from the first post in this thread.

It should now work on both Tiger and Leopard. It uses the SDL 1.2.13 framework.

Thanks, Vasi (using -arch ppc makes the make phase stumble on some assembly code)

Best,
Cat_7
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

I'm sorry to report this, but the new version seems to be lacking the SS Preference window, the one replacing the standalone setup application. Do you guys plan on creating an up-to-date version that includes everything in the semi-official build of July of 2008? As far as I can see, there's this Preference thing, plus the user's ability to have a hardware- or cursor-controlled mouse pointer, plus the build being universal.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

So far Cat_7 did not succeed in building a Hardware cursor version because of problems installing SDL 1.2.10 and he has not yet tried a PPC version. Next week I will try to build more complete versions with instructions Cat_7 gave me. Much has changed in cvs lately and I cannot be certain that I will succeed.

The preferences were omitted intentionally because they can not be opened when SheepShaver is used full screen. With no OSX menu bar there is no menu and thus no way to open preferences. The preferences can be added but even then the stand alone PrefsEditor will be needed to be able to return from full screen to window mode.
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

OK. Thanks, Ronald.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The preferences editor wouldn't let itself be included in SheepShaver, whatever I tried. And I did try building a PPC version to be able to make a UB, but failed because the new build way with the SDL framework fails on my PPC 10.4.10 machine.

Let's see what Ronald comes up with!

Cat_7