SheepShaver UB for Mac OS X with full screen working

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

SheepShaver UB for Mac OS X with full screen working

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Edited March 19 2009 after posting version 2.3 (090319), now again with the built-in preferences editor.

I succeeded in building a Universal Binary from the present source in CVS. Below is a download link to the file.

Please read before downloading:

Because the version number is still 2.3, like for all builds in almost three years now, I gave it an additional identification. It is labelled version 2.3 (H 090316). Edit: Now version 2.3 (090319)

I could test this build in Tiger and Leopard on Intel and in Tiger on PPC. I did not test in Leopard on PPC. This build will probably not run in earlier MacOSX versions.

"H" version only
It appears that now also colored cursor icons are displayed correctly in this hardware cursor version. That would make a separate software cursor version superfluous.

Built-in preferences editor
I did not succeed in making the built-in preferences editor available.
Edit: The problem appeared to be in CVS. Myrd has corrected the issue and I now could build the 090319 version with the built-in preferences editor.

Note: When in full screen mode, the built-in preferences editor cannot be used. A download link to the stand-alone Prefs Editor is added below.

Sound
There should be a slight improvement with Sound on slow machines, less delay and stutter.

Crash dialog on PPC
The crash dialog (unexpectedly quit) without actual crash on PPC machines (only in Tiger?) is still there. It is an old issue, still not resolved.

Full screen mode
The full screen mode can be set in the Prefs Editor. With the horizontal en vertical resolutions set to maximum (or to 0), SheepShaver will display with the resolution of your screen. (The first time you may need to set the screen/monitor resolution in the MacOS control panel accordingly.)

In full screen mode SheepShaver apparently switches to using the software cursor. This causes the cursor to move jerkily, especially noticeable on slower machines. Also generally SheepShaver seems slower in full screen mode compared with its performance in window mode.

Please comment on this build:
- Does this build run in Leopard on PPC? (I could not test that.)
- Do you notice (positive or negative) differences with the July 2008 builds?
- When you previously used the software cursor version because of cursor anomalies in the hardware cursor version, is indeed a separate software cursor version not needed anymore?

SheepShaver: http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/sheepsha ... 090319.zip

Prefs Editor: http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/emaculat ... rPrefs.zip
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kelvin31415
Tinkerer

Re: SheepShaver UB for Mac OS X with full screen working

Post by kelvin31415 »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:It appears that now also colored cursor icons are displayed correctly in this hardware cursor version. That would make a separate software cursor version superfluous.
What you're probably seeing is one of the changes I put into the July version. When an application sets a cursor that the SheepShaver "hardware" video driver can't handle (including a color cursor, because SDL doesn't support them) it reverts temporarily to "software" cursor mode. I did this in order to avoid the "garbage" cursors that were otherwise often seen in the H version.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

kelvin31415 wrote:What you're probably seeing is one of the changes I put into the July version.
It was already in the July 21 2008 "H" build and I did not even notice, using the "S" version myself. :oops:

Do you know what happened to the built-in preferences editor and/or the "Preferences" item in the application menu and why I cannot make it available building from the current source in CVS?
kelvin31415
Tinkerer

Post by kelvin31415 »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:Do you know what happened to the built-in preferences editor and/or the "Preferences" item in the application menu and why I cannot make it available building from the current source in CVS?
No, I haven't been tracking the CVS tree lately. However, I recall seeing something in the sourceforge mailing list about a change to the configure.ac file that excludes the preferences editor when building for X11. That's where I would look first.
DrLex
Tinkerer

Post by DrLex »

kelvin31415 wrote:What you're probably seeing is one of the changes I put into the July version. When an application sets a cursor that the SheepShaver "hardware" video driver can't handle (including a color cursor, because SDL doesn't support them) it reverts temporarily to "software" cursor mode. I did this in order to avoid the "garbage" cursors that were otherwise often seen in the H version.
If it's possible to switch between cursor rendering modes on-the-fly anyway, couldn't this be made a preferences setting? That would get rid of the separate software/hardware cursor builds...
kelvin31415
Tinkerer

Post by kelvin31415 »

DrLex wrote:If it's possible to switch between cursor rendering modes on-the-fly anyway, couldn't this be made a preferences setting? That would get rid of the separate software/hardware cursor builds...
There is no SDL build that behaves properly in both S and H modes. I am hoping that a solution for this will be found, at which time a preference setting would be appropriate.

The temporary switching I am doing now is a compromise; the user experience is imperfect, but in my estimation, better than living with the "garbage" cursors that you would otherwise see.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

DrLex wrote:If it's possible to switch between cursor rendering modes on-the-fly anyway, couldn't this be made a preferences setting? That would get rid of the separate software/hardware cursor builds...
In my view, the compromise in the current 'hardware cursor' versions makes a separate 'software cursor' version superfluous. SheepShaver will run in hardware cursor mode mostly. Only when a cursor appears that cannot be displayed properly in hardware cursor mode, resulting in a "garbage cursor" (a cloud of pixels without recognizable shape or image), SheepShaver will temporarily switch to software cursor mode. I do not notice the switching between modes while working in SheepShaver. Only when I move the cursor outside the SheepShaver window while the software cursor mode is active, I can see the SheepShaver cursor stay inside the window, while the MacOSX cursor moves outside the window. The advantages of both hardware cursor and software cursor versions combined, and with very little disadvantages that I can see.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Earlier this week I could not build SheepShaver with built-in preferences editor. The problem appeared to be in CVS. Myrd has corrected the issue and I now could build the 090319 version with built-in preferences editor:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/sheepsha ... 090319.zip

Note: When in full screen mode, the built-in preferences editor cannot be used. You will still need the stand-alone Prefs Editor:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/emaculat ... rPrefs.zip

(The first post in this thread updated for the 090319 version.)
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

So many builds!

Is it a good idea to de-sticky Cat_7's 05_03_2009 full-screen build at this point?

I don't like to confuse people with three or four builds...
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Yes,

I will de-sticky it and refer to the newer build.

Cat_7
MacUser
Tinkerer

Should I update ?

Post by MacUser »

Hi guys,

I am a happy user of SheepShaver UB build for Mac OS X, July 21 2008, I like to have SheepShaver running in a large window instead of full screen to get a better overview of work that I do more or less simultaniously in OSX and OS9.

Should I update to the new FS version to get better functionality or stick to the build I am using ?

Thanks,

Wim
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Apart from the now working fullscreen option, there may be a slight improvement of sound performance (less delay and stutter) on slow machines compared with the July 21 2008 build. Otherwise, functionality of this 090319 build is identical to the functionality of the July 21 2008 "H" build.
MacUser
Tinkerer

Post by MacUser »

Thanks Ronald, obvious there is no need for me to update.
Best,
Wim
Vanceone
Space Cadet

Post by Vanceone »

I'm running this build in Leopard 10.5.6, PPC (a g4 ibook, 1.07 Ghz with 768 ram).

Seems to work great, though sheepshaver is a bit flaky. Much faster than BasiliskII on the PPC, even when Basilisk is running 7.6 and I'm running 8.6 in Sheepshaver.

Hope that helps!
gazola42
Space Cadet

Post by gazola42 »

Thanks, Ronald,

Am very impressed with your 2.3 (090319) build (running 8.6 on MacOS 10.5.6 Mac Mini).

With the major stability improvement over the 20060514 build, was able to move a demanding project from a G3 iMac (MacOS 9.1) to the Mac Mini and complete it successfully.

Your many hours spent in tracking/fixing issues to 2008, and again with the latest version update, are appreciated.

Also thanks to Gwenole Beauchesne for the great work to 2006.

Gary
ARMDN
Space Cadet

Post by ARMDN »

Running SheepShaver on Mac OS X 10.4.11 Server (PowerPC G5). Work great, thanks for integrated preferences menu! Running Mac OS 7.6.1, Mac OS 8.2d8, Mac OS 8.6, Mac OS 9.0.4 on it. Seems SheepShaver crushed after some time if i reboot to another os in SS by startup disk.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

You try to use Startup Disk control panel? It is non-functional in SheepShaver and it will crash SheepShaver. The startup disk is determined by the order of the volumes in the volumes list in preferences. SheepShaver will use the first volume from the top with a suitable system to startup from.

It is not possible to "restart" SheepShaver from a different volume. The preferences are read by SheepShaver at launch. After changing settings you need to quit and again launch SheepShaver.

However, you can run multiple systems without changing preferences settings. See: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... ight=three
ARMDN
Space Cadet

Post by ARMDN »

Strange... For me it seems to working. Even tryed to boot from OS 9.0.4 to OS 8.2 and played Command & Conquer. It also crushed some times from nothing... Without rebooting to other os. :? But anyway, great work Ronald! Very appreciate! )
ronniescot
Space Cadet

So happy...

Post by ronniescot »

Hi Ronald, Thanks for all your great work. I actually whooped with joy when mac classic appeared on my intel.

Your current build provides me with the single most important thing I need: Macdraw Pro, which I can not live without because there is just nothing as good available. There are more powerful programs but who needs all that power at the cost of dedicating a month to learning how to use it.

Anyway, the one other classic ap that has never been bettered is Cricket graph V2. I was disappointed to find it crashed SS. A work around is to turn off the extensions.

I would also like to run the word processor WriteNow to access years of docoments. However WN crashes SS with the extesions on or off.

I would therefore be grateful for your suggestions about Cricket Graph and WriteNow.

Do you think it would help if I downgraded from OS9.02 to 8.6 for example?

Lastly I would like to share a tip that may seem obvious, but was causing me a problem for a while. To move my classic apps from my intel mac hard disc to the shared unix disk, I first use the zip command from the OS10.5 finder. Much to my surprise they unzip automatically from within SS and the programs boot just fine.
Thomas J. Rostafinski
Student Driver

Post by Thomas J. Rostafinski »

ronniescot, I encourage you to try OS 8.6 in SS.
I would therefore be grateful for your suggestions about Cricket Graph and WriteNow.

Do you think it would help if I downgraded from OS9.02 to 8.6 for example?
I cannot speak for Cricket Graph, but WriteNow works fine for me in guest OS 8.6, host OS 10.4.11.

You do not need to "downgrade," just create a new 8.6 install in a new folder as described in Ronald's illustrated post here:

http://emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 1b40d8db35
Chris Rockett
Space Cadet

Post by Chris Rockett »

Hey this is great work Ronald, this is so helpful!

Chris
dkretschmer
Inquisitive Elf

Post by dkretschmer »

Hi, I just noticed the post by Thomas J. Rostafinski re Cricket Graph: I can confirm that CricketGraph 1.3.2 works perfectly in SS. The original as well as CG III.