Snow Leopard and HFS

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

tonyrh
Space Cadet

Snow Leopard and HFS

Post by tonyrh »

Hello,

as you may know Snow Leopard can no longer write to HFS formatted partitions. This is of course a big problem with Basilisk, I can't even install it.
I'm thinking of using linux and hfsutils to write to an HFS disk image.
Do you have any experience/hints/warnings ?

Thanks,
Tony
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Do you mean that you can't create new volumes with disk utility that Basilisk can use as hard disk?

EDIT: I see what you mean. Directly installing 8.1 (is that available as install CD?) might be the only option if you want to use the hfs extended format. Exchanging files straight to the hfs standard volume seems to be impossible. But the shared folder option still works.

The old GUI can create standard HFS volumes. It's in the download from the earlier maintainer of the program: http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/projects ... 05.tar.bz2

Alternatively you can use the "dd" command like this:
dd if=/dev/zero of=name_of_your_hard_disk_image bs=1048576 count=size_in_megabytes

Best,
Cat_7
tonyrh
Space Cadet

Post by tonyrh »

Hi Cat_7,

thank you for the fast reply!
I did not explain the problem very well, sorry for my awful English.
Creating new HFS volumes with the Basilisk gui is not a problem, writing to them from inside Snow Leopard is: I can't copy the 19 disk images of System 7.5.3 from Apple website to a HFS volume.
I'm loosely following the guide here: http://macscene.net/wiki/index.php/Basi ... etup_Guide

However I solved the issue using Linux in a virtual machine and hfsutils to copy the files to the HFS volume. I'm installing System 7.5.3 right now!

Cheers,
Tony
TheWildJacko
Space Cadet

Help with hfsutils?

Post by TheWildJacko »

OK, so I have Ubuntu running on VMWare Fusion, and have hfsutils installed. However, I don't have much experience using the terminal. How do I convert the HFS volume into a writeable disk (Ubuntu still thinks it's read-only) and then copy the files over?
nathanpc
Tinkerer

Re: Help with hfsutils?

Post by nathanpc »

TheWildJacko wrote:OK, so I have Ubuntu running on VMWare Fusion, and have hfsutils installed. However, I don't have much experience using the terminal. How do I convert the HFS volume into a writeable disk (Ubuntu still thinks it's read-only) and then copy the files over?
Wait, Wait, Wait, Wait, Wait! :o
You use Linux and don't have much experience with terminal! 8O
Linux is the terminal and the terminal is the heart of Linux!
TheWildJacko
Space Cadet

Post by TheWildJacko »

shakes head...

Perhaps I misphrased. The correct phrasing might have been, 'I just installed Linux.'

I was trying to get the emulator running on Snow Leopard and ran into this problem, then noticed that Tony posted a solution involving virtualization and Linux. Since I already own a virtualization program, and Linux is free, I thought I would try to figure out Linux. Turned out not to be so simple...
nathanpc
Tinkerer

Post by nathanpc »

TheWildJacko wrote:shakes head...

Perhaps I misphrased. The correct phrasing might have been, 'I just installed Linux.'

I was trying to get the emulator running on Snow Leopard and ran into this problem, then noticed that Tony posted a solution involving virtualization and Linux. Since I already own a virtualization program, and Linux is free, I thought I would try to figure out Linux. Turned out not to be so simple...
Huh, now it's good! :)
See This
I use Ubuntu too!
the silncer
Space Cadet

Is There a Way?

Post by the silncer »

I am encountering the same issue. I create the Macintosh HD but then I am unable to get any data on that drive. The current version of Disk Utility is unable to write to the image. How can I copy files to this image short of virtualization? Having to install another OS in a virtualized environment seems like a lot of work to play a couple of old Mac games...

the silncer.
the silncer
Space Cadet

Is There a Way?

Post by the silncer »

I am encountering the same issue. I create the Macintosh HD but then I am unable to get any data on that drive. The current version of Disk Utility is unable to write to the image. How can I copy files to this image short of virtualization? Having to install another OS in a virtualized environment seems like a lot of work to play a couple of old Mac games...

the silncer.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

You can use the shared folder option to get files into SheepShaver.
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... red_folder

Best,
Cat_7