Installing from OS 9 disk image

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Spiff
Space Cadet

Installing from OS 9 disk image

Post by Spiff »

I got a disk image for OS 9, "Mac OS 9 Retail.toast". I double-clicked it and it un-archived and I was left with a disk image on my desktop called "Mac OS 9".

I'm not able to put the disk image into my SheepShaver folder; when I try to do so, it just puts an alias in there instead. Hopefully that's not a problem.

When I started SheepShaver and was in the preferences window, I pressed "Add" and tried to browse over to the disk image. "Open" was not an option when I clicked on the disk image, so I selected the "Mac OS Install" that was inside the disk image. The Volumes list then showed the path: "/Volumes/Mac OS 9/Mac OS Install".

When I tried restarting SheepShaver, I got the blinking question mark.

Any guesses about what I'm doing wrong?

Edit: I put the whole folder with the disk image into it into my SS folder, and then I was able to "Open" the "Mac OS 9 Retail.toast" disk image. But now I get the error: "The system software on the startup disk only functions on the original media, not if copied to another drive." Do I need a different disk image?

Thanks in advance,

Spiff
MacBook Pro, running 10.6.1, SS 2.3
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi, a CD-rom image should be locked. Otherwise Mac OS thinks you put the image on a read/write hard disk. So, just go to file/get info and select "locked"
and try again.

Best,
Cat_7
Spiff
Space Cadet

Post by Spiff »

Thank you! I'm now two steps closer. I got the happy Mac. I initialized my MacOS9 hard drive. I started the "Mac OS 9 Install" application. It started okay, but then seems to have hung while "Updating Apple hard disk drivers". The wrist-watch spins, and the estimated time remaining just gets bigger and bigger.

Thanks for your help.

Spiff
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Stop the installer and try again. At the second screen, where you choose the destination disk, click the "Options" button in the bottom-left corner and check to do a clean installation. The installation will then be preceded by again initializing the destination volume. Maybe that will solve the problem.
Spiff
Space Cadet

Post by Spiff »

Thank you again. The "Clean Install" alone did not do the trick. I noticed a subsequent "Options" button, however, and there I unchecked the box for "Update hard disk drivers". After that, the OS 9 seems to have installed correctly. Is that an okay thing to do, or is it likely to cause problems down the line?

Thanks for all the help.

On Monday, my challenge will be to install the one piece of software that I really need this for...

Spiff
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Spiff wrote: and there I unchecked the box for "Update hard disk drivers". After that, the OS 9 seems to have installed correctly. Is that an okay thing to do, or is it likely to cause problems down the line?
If the emulator can boot from the installed system, it is OK.