SheepShaver under Snow Leopard

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

michaelw
Space Cadet

Post by michaelw »

After further testing, I can copy files from Unix to the virtual machine, but not folders and subfolders, for example a folder with a number of subfolders.

I can manually recreate the folders and subfolders on the SheepShaver side and then drag in constituent files from Unix (one by one or multiple selections). Documents open, and applications that need no formal installer then run OK.

So, copying file-by-file seems quite consistently reliably working.

The folder copying situation is not consistent. Even now, I had one top level folder with 16 subfolders where some complete subfolders (with subfolders) would copy over and others not. And after quitting SheepShaver then restarting it, one or two new subfolders would also be copyable. I was able to do this several times and bring in maybe 4 other subfolders on subsequent restarts. Could not see any pattern to why some worked and others not.

Of course my installation originally could successfully copy entire folders with subfolders, at least in small batches, and I successfully copied hundreds of MB of data.
Last edited by michaelw on Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
michaelw
Space Cadet

Post by michaelw »

Could this have something to do with the RAM size set?

If I reduce RAM from 512 MB to 256 MB I get a message that Unix cannot be found as soon as I click 'Save', then again when I restart once and twice. It will start eventually, but there is no Unix on the desktop.

If I increase RAM to 1024 MB, I have to restart twice before SheepShaver runs. But it does run. I don't get an alert and Unix appears on the desktop; sadly, I still cannot copy complete folders reliably from Unix.

[Edited to add: if I increase RAM to 2048 MB, SheepShaver will no longer launch--don't try this unless you have the stand-alone preferences editor! Resetting to 1024 MB allows SheepShaver to run again]
DrGSpot
Space Cadet

Re: SheepShaver under Snow Leopard - Unix Not Appear

Post by DrGSpot »

Just wanted to share a possible solution to the Unix Folder not showing when SheepShaver 2.4. It appeared on OS10.9, clean installation, BUT in OS10.6.8

Downloaded 2.4 (THANK YOU Developers!!!), installed and used my OLD "OS8 and ROM" from SheepShaver 2.3. ALL files appeared except the UNIX Drive. EVEN THOUGH you see / in the UNIX ROOT browse box, YOU NEED TO REDIRECT it to your Hard Drive.

Problem of UNIX folder showing was resolved by doing the following:

Opened SheepShaver > preferences > browsed Unix Root > selected Macintosh HD under devices in my find> replaced the / with the same looking / chararcter > saved > control-opt-escape to force quit SheepShaver > reopened SheepShaver > message gave an "untitled drive" that needed to be format and formatting would delete all data > selected yes to format > and SUCCESS :lol: , all data was there ALONG with the UNIX folder which access my entire 'hard drive. WOOPIE!!!!!!!

PS
I have been using SheepShaver 2.3 for many many years.

Had a hard drive failure. Used Time Machine to reinstall my most current back up of OS10.6.8

However, it did not install SheepShaver 2.3 correctly. My SheepShaver GUI is not letting me set the correct path for SS 2.3, but then again, I am NOT a computer genius.... All I know that it took me countless hours about 10 years ago I spent about 50 hours researching emulation software and tracking down my ROM and OS8 etc.

GLAD SheepShaver 2.4 is now working and paths were set using 'preferences' and not the GUI.

PPS

You can play a "Shared" folder and placed into my SheepShaver folder > opened SheepShaver > preferences > browsed Unix Root > selected SheepShaver folder Shared > saved > control-opt-escape to force quit SheepShaver > opened SheepShaver > message gave an "untitled drive" that needed to be format and formatting would delete all data > (made a duplicate of my OS8 copy, just in case) > selected yes to format > and SUCCESS :lol: , all data was there with the UNIX folder to the "shared" folder in the SheepShaver folder.