Sound problems

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

jkt
Space Cadet

Sound problems

Post by jkt »

I have a problem with no sound output from my Sheepshaver installation - all else seems to be working OK. Am using a 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo with Mac OS 10.5.1.

I have tried a host of 'fixes' including trying OS9.0.4 and OS8.5 installations. I have at present settled with the OS9.0.4 install where when I attempt to open the Sound control panel I get a message that 'SndHWUtilitiesLib--
AudioNotify' can't be found. An extensive search of forums on the web found others with no sound, some with the same message that I am getting. Of the suggested fixes none have worked for me.

Would appreciate help. John. Thank you.
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Re: Sound problems

Post by yksoft1 »

jkt wrote:I have a problem with no sound output from my Sheepshaver installation - all else seems to be working OK. Am using a 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo with Mac OS 10.5.1.

I have tried a host of 'fixes' including trying OS9.0.4 and OS8.5 installations. I have at present settled with the OS9.0.4 install where when I attempt to open the Sound control panel I get a message that 'SndHWUtilitiesLib--
AudioNotify' can't be found. An extensive search of forums on the web found others with no sound, some with the same message that I am getting. Of the suggested fixes none have worked for me.

Would appreciate help. John. Thank you.
You need to tell us your what ROM you are using first. Different PCI PowerMac ROMs has different issues with Sheepshaver, like for the 9500 ROM you need to remove the Apple Audio extension in OS9 for sound.
Try copy the Sound control panel in OS8.5's Apple Extras folder to OS9 and see if it will run. It's from System 7 and don't need any fancy libraries.
and is your OS9 disk a retail disk?
jkt
Space Cadet

Sound problems

Post by jkt »

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried the Monitors and Sound from Apple Extras OS 8.5 but this crashes the emulation. The OS 9 is retail disk (although I have also tried a machine specific OS 9.0.4). The ROM I'm using is Mac OS ROM Update 1.0.

John
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Re: Sound problems

Post by yksoft1 »

jkt wrote:Thanks for your reply.

I have tried the Monitors and Sound from Apple Extras OS 8.5 but this crashes the emulation. The OS 9 is retail disk (although I have also tried a machine specific OS 9.0.4). The ROM I'm using is Mac OS ROM Update 1.0.

John
Did you try an even older version of the Sound (NOT Monitors & Sound) Control panel, for example one from System 7.5.3?
And did you try removing QuickTime and/or Sound Manager extension?
or change to another ROM?
emil
Space Cadet

Post by emil »

Hi All,

first I had the same problem with the 'SndHWUtilitiesLib--AudioNotify' message and no sound under OS9. I try all the different builds from SS and also all ROM's (form Mac ROM Update 1.0, iMac ROM Update 1.1, OLD_WORLD_ROM, ...) that I could found, but nothing helps.

To install the OS 9.0.4 I was using my old 'iMac Recovery CD'. While installation the setup didn't want to install the OS9 to my SS-Hardware. But I simply mount the recovery image and copy all to my hard disk image. This hand installation works fine after a reboot. Except of the DVD player and the sound support.

But today a college bring me his OS 9.0.4 Install CD which was not for a special Mac Hardware. With this CD the original installation process works fine and after a reboot also the sound works perfect (after I select the output sound source as 'internal'; I use now the 'Mac ROM Update 1.0').

So the problem is that SS only emulates a few special hardware components and nothing more (like a iMac hardware). When you than use an OS9-CD that comes for a special Mac hardware you get these sound problems. Thats why you should better use only an universal OS9-CD for installing under SS.

Bye
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Post by yksoft1 »

emil wrote:Hi All,

first I had the same problem with the 'SndHWUtilitiesLib--AudioNotify' message and no sound under OS9. I try all the different builds from SS and also all ROM's (form Mac ROM Update 1.0, iMac ROM Update 1.1, OLD_WORLD_ROM, ...) that I could found, but nothing helps.

To install the OS 9.0.4 I was using my old 'iMac Recovery CD'. While installation the setup didn't want to install the OS9 to my SS-Hardware. But I simply mount the recovery image and copy all to my hard disk image. This hand installation works fine after a reboot. Except of the DVD player and the sound support.

But today a college bring me his OS 9.0.4 Install CD which was not for a special Mac Hardware. With this CD the original installation process works fine and after a reboot also the sound works perfect (after I select the output sound source as 'internal'; I use now the 'Mac ROM Update 1.0').

So the problem is that SS only emulates a few special hardware components and nothing more (like a iMac hardware). When you than use an OS9-CD that comes for a special Mac hardware you get these sound problems. Thats why you should better use only an universal OS9-CD for installing under SS.

Bye
As I always use the ROM from a now-dead 8500, I always need to remove the Apple Audio Extension and Quicktime's Sound Manager extension to get a stable sound output.
And you DON'T NEED EVERYTHING IN THE SYSTEM FOLDER on recovery CDs for SS to boot and work. just System, Finder, some fonts, Text Encoding Converter and Text Encoding folder(if you need to use IE and HFS+), Open Transport extensions(if you need networking), a reliable version of QuickTime such as 4.1.2 or 5.0(if you need it).
peji78
Space Cadet

Post by peji78 »

hi guys!!

i'm brand new here but I think I found a way to solve this problem !!

first of all I'd like to thank all the guys who are keeping this site and forum alive. i've been looking for years to see such a site, struggling with basilisk and sheepshaver nights and week-ends until i found you !!
now my sheepshaver runs a MacOS 9.0.4 like a charm!! and my basilisk, a honorable MacOS 7.5.3!!
I almost cried when I started Beyond Dark Castle on that machine!! So many souvenirs... ;-)

anyway, for that sound issue, i narrowed it down to 2 files : In the system folder, replace the file "System" (suitcase file), and in Control Panels folder, replace Sound.
I replaced those 2 files with their equivalent from the 9.0 image I found on this website : http://www.redundantrobot.com/sheepshaver-tutorial/

actually this 9.0 system image works well but it's a very minimal system (without internet, etc...) so when i looked for something better, i found this explanation from Ronald (whom i'd like to thank very much for that)
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... r&start=25
So i extracted a complete 9.0.4 system from a powermac G4 software restore disk, and it worked totally fine, expect for this sound issue.
but now it's fixed and i'm the happiest guy in the world !! i'm back in the "classic" world !! yeah !!

PJ