GrayBox

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Myrd
Granny Smith

GrayBox

Post by Myrd »

It's an interesting project:

https://launchpad.net/graybox/
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Nice find. Have you tried compiling/running the thing?

Best,
Cat_7
Last edited by Cat_7 on Wed May 05, 2010 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Contrary to the remarks on http://www.dejamac.com/software/macdraw/ MacDraw runs fine on my Intel Mac.
There is even a poll on which other application should be ported to OSX next.
Choices are:
-The Finder
-Hypercard
-Word 5.1
-Dark Castle

Make your choice!

Best,
Cat_7
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I gather that this is a ROM-less, OS-less thing?

Like Executor?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Yes,

No rom needed, nothing. Just the one application in it's own window with limited interaction with the host. Also no desktop. But if the finder is ported using this method, that might change.

Best,
Cat_7
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Observation sent by e-mail: Graybox actually does include a ROM image, contained in a file called "Sosumi."
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Ah: so, sue me.

Could it be that the MacDraw example that can be downloaded is using the MiniVMac extras to achieve its magic? http://minivmac.sourceforge.net/extras/index.html
I don't know for sure, I might be wrong.

Best,
Cat_7
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Apparently Graybox has very little to do with Mini vMac, despite what the site suggests. It only uses a small bit of Mini vMac code.
gryphel
Nice Guy

Post by gryphel »

ClockWise wrote:Apparently Graybox has very little to do with Mini vMac, despite what the site suggests. It only uses a small bit of Mini vMac code.
The site just says that it "uses Mini vMac's M68K emulator", which is exactly what it does. (The emulation of the 68000 processor, which is a fairly small part of Mini vMac.) There is no other connection with Mini vMac. Also, GrayBox is not much like Executor. As the site says, it takes the same approach as Apple's "Classic" environment. It makes full use of the software from the older operating system, but extensively modifies it so that the old application is tightly integrated into the modern operating system.

Not much attentions has been paid to copyright law, but none the less it is impressive work. The copyright issues could be fixed by letting the user supply their own copy of the old application, ROM, and system software, as other emulators do.
fanman93
Granny Smith

Post by fanman93 »

This'll be awesome later on when I finally get a mac!
Silent Flamer
Master Emulator

Post by Silent Flamer »

What do you mean 'sosumi' is the ROM file!? Sosumi is a sound file for the Macintosh! Are you sure that freaking thing is the ROM!?
gryphel
Nice Guy

Post by gryphel »

Silent Flamer wrote:What do you mean 'sosumi' is the ROM file!? Sosumi is a sound file for the Macintosh! Are you sure that freaking thing is the ROM!?
Yes. "MacDraw.app/Contents/Resources/Sosumi" is version 3 of the Macintosh Plus ROM.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I suppose the file is named "Sosumi" to hide the fact that it is a ROM file.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Yes, and an allusion to the old story about macs not being allowed to produce sound. So when Apple deceided to break that agreement, they called the very first sound file "sosumi", phonetically equivalent to "so, sue me" for using sound.
"So, sue me" wasn't widely used until it was picked up again in 1990s America. There is a long running legal dispute between the Beatles' Apple Corps and Apple Computer regarding trademark rights (1978 - 2006 and counting). In 1991 Apple Computer introduced a system sound into the Macintosh System 7 operating system - called 'Sosumi'.
Cat_7