PRINTING AAARGH ok i am an idiot how come this is so hard

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

kingpin10
Space Cadet

PRINTING AAARGH ok i am an idiot how come this is so hard

Post by kingpin10 »

Ok trying to get some way to just print directly to a printer hooked up to my computer. Post below says this will work with any printer. using mac os 10.67 VM machine is SS with mac os 8.5 on it MY chooser stays grayed out when i select a laserwriter 8 driver cannot create the printer so i cannot tell it to send the printer out put to the folder that has the action on it

I have no idea how to get to or perform step 3 "In SheepShaver or Basilisk II, use the LaserWriter 8 driver (or Adobe Postscript), and send the printer output to a file in the folder you created in the previous step. In the output options, choose embed all fonts (except the basic 13) and save in PostScript Level 2 or 3 format. Make sure that the printfile has the extension .ps (which it will have by default). "

MY chooser stays grayed out when i select a laserwriter 8 driver cannot create the printer so i cannot tell it to send the printer out put to the folder that has the action on it

This folder action script can be used to print to any OS X printer (PostScript or non PostScript) from SheepShaver or Basilisk II. It's based on work by many other people, including John Rethorst.

Note that the number in the top line can be reduced in order to make the file print more quickly, at the risk that the printfile won't be ready to be printed; or it can be increased to increase the certainty that the printfile will be ready for printing when the script sends it to the printer. The setting 1.5 (seconds) works reliably on my system, but you can experiment with higher or lower numbers

Open the script in Script Editor, save it as an AppleScript; create a folder in your OS X system that's accessible to SheepShaver or Basilisk II (though the "Unix" folder); assign the script to it as a Folder Action Script.

In SheepShaver or Basilisk II, use the LaserWriter 8 driver (or Adobe Postscript), and send the printer output to a file in the folder you created in the previous step. In the output options, choose embed all fonts (except the basic 13) and save in PostScript Level 2 or 3 format. Make sure that the printfile has the extension .ps (which it will have by default).

Here's the script:

Code:
property DELAY_TIME_SECONDS : 1.5 -- How long to wait between checking file size.

on adding folder items to TheFolder after receiving fileList
set thisFile to (item 1 of fileList) as alias
set fileString to (thisFile as string)
if fileString contains "DS_Store" then return
if fileString ends with ".ps" then
repeat with f in fileList
set oldSize to 0
set newSize to -1
-- When newSize equals oldSize, copy is complete because the size hasn't changed
repeat while newSize ≠ oldSize
-- Get the file size.
set oldSize to size of (info for f)
delay DELAY_TIME_SECONDS
-- Sample the size again after delay for comparison.
set newSize to size of (info for f)
end repeat
doPrint(thisFile)
end repeat
end if
end adding folder items to

to doPrint(thisFile)
with timeout of 300 seconds
delay 1
repeat while (current date) - (modification date of (info for thisFile)) < 2
delay 2
end repeat
tell application "Printer Setup Utility"
open thisFile
repeat while (busy status of (info for thisFile))
delay 1
end repeat
quit
end tell
delay 1
tell application "Finder" to delete thisFile
end timeout
end doPrint
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: PRINTING AAARGH ok i am an idiot how come this is so har

Post by emendelson »

kingpin10 wrote:I have no idea how to get to or perform step 3 "In SheepShaver or Basilisk II, use the LaserWriter 8 driver (or Adobe Postscript), and send the printer output to a file in the folder you created in the previous step. In the output options, choose embed all fonts (except the basic 13) and save in PostScript Level 2 or 3 format. Make sure that the printfile has the extension .ps (which it will have by default). "
If you've installed a LaserWriter 8 or Adobe PostScript printer, then print to it from any application. Ignore the Chooser. Don't even think about the Chooser. The Chooser is absolutely useless for this purpose. Just print from an application.

In the Print dialog, select your LaserWriter 8 or Adobe PostScript printer in the Printer: dropdown list. Then, in the dropdown list next to Destination:, choose File. Click the Save button at the lower right corner of the Print dialog. A dialog will appear where you can select the file. Navigate to the Desktop, then Unix, then the name of the folder on OS X that has the Folder Action Script attached. Then click Save.

But follow the other instructions about fonts, etc.
kingpin10
Space Cadet

Post by kingpin10 »

Thanks so much got it working. However cannot find the part about output options embedding fonts and saving in postscript level 2-3. running os 8.5

Where when do those print options appear?

Also takes a little while for the file to print anyway to speed that up?

Like i said it is working and very happy it is but only tried to print something simple with standard fonts so want to make sure i have the other printer setting out put options correct.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

kingpin10 wrote:Where when do those print options appear?
Below the printer choice in the upper left corner of the print dialog is another popup menu that starts with "General". Go through the items in that menu to set the desired options.
kingpin10
Space Cadet

Post by kingpin10 »

thank you found that will let you know how it goes.... Working so far.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

OK, for the record, the post quoted in your first message is this one:

http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... 1236#31236

I've revised it to clarify some of the issues you mentioned. Thanks.