Quicktime codecOffscreenFailedErr, -8988 in OS9 (.0.0-4)

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

macdro
Tinkerer

Quicktime codecOffscreenFailedErr, -8988 in OS9 (.0.0-4)

Post by macdro »

Issues with Quicktime in OS9 on Sheepshaver running in OSX have been mentioned here before, however, the current set-up guide on the main page implies that in the current SS build, using QT 4.1.2 (but no greater) with the basic codecs included in QT install should work. However, having tested various configurations of Sheepshaver, OS9 and Quicktime (4.1.2 and prior), I continue to get this error no matter what kind of media file I attempt to open. I cannot even view images, nor any videos even of the basic Sorenson codec included in install. All extensions are where they should be and I have not left any conflicting files when I changed QT installs while conducting these tests.

Could someone please advise why the default QT codecs included in install are not working properly?

Again I am sorry if I have insufficiently researched this error but would be grateful for any help.

Regards
macdro
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Quicktime codecOffscreenFailedErr, -8988 in OS9 (.0.0-4)

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

macdro wrote:Could someone please advise why the default QT codecs included in install are not working properly?
It should work with the normal default installation of both OS and QT 4.1.2, unless the files you are trying to view require a later QT-version than can be used in SheepShaver.

(You used different QT versions. Note that you cannot downgrade QT by simply installing an earlier version.)

Do the demo files that are installed by QT work? (In OS9 in QuickTime folder in Applications.)
macdro
Tinkerer

Post by macdro »

No, Sample Image and Sample Movie don't work, and those are the only files I am testing. I'm not trying to use files meant for later Quicktime versions. These fail even immediately after a full OS 9 install (with restart to ensure extensions are on) - so even when I haven't changed the QT version.
macdro
Tinkerer

Post by macdro »

I am going to try a different OS 9 install. Though I doubt it, this error could be an idiosyncrasy of the International English CDs I have been using (sold in Australia), when installed on a volume in Sheepshaver. I assume the Macintosh Garden download is a North American 9.0.4 install and perhaps I will see different results.
macdro
Tinkerer

Post by macdro »

Hm no, the Macintosh Garden toast image is also of the International English version, which I have subsequently found out is the prevalent .iso shared on public torrents for OS 9.0.4.

I am still getting this same error when I attempt to open the Sample Image. This includes when trying with the Quicktime included in the OS install, as well as with a separate install of QT 4.1.2.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Very strange. The sample files should play just fine using a unmodified default installation of OS9.

What kind of Mac do you use with which OSX version?
You use the latest build of SheepShaver posted here (06-11-2010)?
Do you use any settings in SheepShaver preferences that differ from the settings described in the setup manual?
macdro
Tinkerer

Post by macdro »

Latest SS build running on OS X 10.4 Tiger on a PPC Mac Mini. The prefs don't vary from the setup guide. However, I'm going to try deleting all prefs and another new OS 9 install.
macdro
Tinkerer

Post by macdro »

This time I have set the RAM to 512mb, rather than 256 as I have been using. Amazingly this error persists, 'straight out of the box'
macdro
Tinkerer

Post by macdro »

Amazingly I can no longer even hear alert sounds, despite the prefs adhering to the setup guide and not choosing to disable sound.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

1. You did enable sound in the Sound control panel as described in the setup guide?

2. I have absolutely no idea what could be wrong regarding QT. Are you sure the system installation is OK? Is the install disk image made from a true 9.0.4 retail install CD?
macdro
Tinkerer

Post by macdro »

Yes and yes. However, I have neglected to mention that I have been using an Old World ROM and this could certainly be the problem. Setting up now with the New World rom
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

OK. We will see. I have to leave now, will probably not be online again today.
macdro
Tinkerer

Post by macdro »

Ok, New World Rom + followed the setup guide from scratch having deleted the previous set of prefs and virtual drive. I go to the Quicktime 'Sample Image' file and still get this error. Other users have not reported any issues with the exact Install CD image I used for this install (the one from Macintosh Garden) so I have to assume this is to do with running SS on OS X 10.4 specifically.

Edit: Removed sound issue. During this install in my haste I foolishly forgot to set the control panel to Built-In for output. Anyway, I still receive this error when opening Sample Image.
Last edited by macdro on Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
macdro
Tinkerer

Post by macdro »

Thank you, I appreciate any help you can offer when you have time.

-mac dro
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

On my PowerBook G4 with Tiger, I get the same error when trying to open images. When trying to open the sample movie, sound plays, no video is shown, and SheepShaver freezes.

I tried several older builds of SheepShaver, as far back as Gwenole Beauchesne's May 2006 snapshot, and they all display the same behaviour.

Very few people use SheepShaver in Tiger on PPC, because there you can use the Classic environment which is more stable and much more comfortable to use than SheepShaver emulation. Any special reason why you do not use the Classic environment?
macdro
Tinkerer

Post by macdro »

Yes I figure that this is an error that is unreported due to obscurity/lack of people trying it. I am working on a multimedia project using solely legacy Video and image editors. These function better, generally, within Sheepshaver. Classic has many quirks that prevent particularly apps from running - some of which even include developers, such as Avid and Apple itself, deliberately blocking out backward compatibility in the Classic environment.

I also have a Macbook with 10.5 which I have been using for emulating OS 8.1 for this purpose quite effectively.

So then I thought in tandem with the classic environment on my Mac Mini, an OS 9 install could be useful. This codec error prevents any exports from these programs, which is why I wanted to ask about it. Now I will instead try an OS 9 Install on SS in 10.5 and this should solve this problem.

I have since realized for this project I should just buy an Emac and run OS 9 natively. I have been very impressed with Sheepshaver and indeed my demands here are kind of obscure.

Thanks for testing and enquiring into it yourself.

Regards
macdro