Login  •  Register

The time is now: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:18 am

Emaculation wiki  •  Delete all board cookies

Print view Previous topic  |  Next topic
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:01 am 
Space Cadet

The old thread is about fetching the latest source code, so it might not be the most appropriate to track progress of the port, thus created this one (hope this is OK).

I now managed to overcome the blitter issue (with fast and dirty hack), but for now it works only for 16M on Mac. More details (and new screenshots) on http://droidmac.blogspot.com

Post a reply  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:15 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the update and the new screenshots. Please do post updates in this thread!

Post a reply  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:41 am 
Space Cadet

I just wonder, as JIT cannot be enabled (not even compiled) on non-x86 machines (like Arm Androids), would it run faster if i roll back to non-JIT code version?

In other words do anyone know, what is an [estimated] speed difference between Basilisk non-JIT code (older versions, like 142) and Basilisk JIT-code (but with JIT disabled?).

Currently it runs a bit slow on the phone. Barely usable, if we wanted to do some serious works inside the MacOS.

Post a reply  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:45 pm 
Expert User

Hi,

The Basilisk 142 build is a windows specific build. In my opinion it is the most versatile/feature rich version ever built.
It performs wonderfully and allows setting performance options in many areas (through process priorities). The benefits of the JIT are clear, but I don't think the pre JIT versions were faster then the JIT disabled version you now have. Perhaps someone else knows better?
The pre-JIT versions for Linux might also be more versatile compared to the JIT versions, as the develop focused more on performance and less on features when the JIT was introduced. You can see that the feature set of the current windows jit built is smaller than the old 142 version.

However, along with development of the JIT also other problems were solved, so the current code should provide the best quality to base your build on.

Do you also have plans to build a SheepShaver version?

Best,
Cat_7

Post a reply  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:35 pm 
Tinkerer

The JIT versions have better performance all around, but the 142 build has great floating point performance, better than the latest JIT from CVS.

Post a reply  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:10 pm 
Space Cadet

Checkout http://droidmac.blogspot.com You can [finally] get a works in progress there for your android device :).

On my Defy it works quite fine, a bit slower than Mac IIfx, but still quite playable. On newer devices (1GHz+) it will probably fly :). I'm getting general result of 8.5 in Speedometer 3.06.

MODERATOR EDIT: I fixed the URL to your blog for you. It contained the dot (.) you ended the sentence with ;-)

Post a reply  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:55 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for sharing the news... and for your hard work!

Post a reply  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:38 am 
Expert User

Hi,

I downloaded the android SDK with qemu based emulator and wanted to try your new emulator, but I gave up. The qemu android emulator is way to slow to allow that ;-(

Best,
Cat_7

Post a reply  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:33 am 
Tinkerer

I found out that for work I'll soon be getting a Motorola Milestone, so I'll finally be able to try Android out!

Will be happy to test this port once I do.

Post a reply  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:37 pm 
Space Cadet

Sorry guys. Nothing personal to you, as this forum is simply great!, but I got so pissed that now DroidMac is dead :(. Details on the blog. Cheers.

Post a reply  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:57 am 
Expert User

Hi,

I read something similar on OSNews.com. I can understand your emotion, but at the same time feel sorry for the now stopped development.

Best wishes,
Cat_7

Post a reply  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:12 pm 
Forum All-Star

I know this thread is dead in the water for years...
But still, is there anything that could be done to revive the project?
I only recently got a Y300 Android 4.1.1 (in fact its my wife´s) and found that Tomek´s apk is running pretty smooth.
What I am missing is a usable config for my 480x800 IPS screen.
How can I enable a landscape screen? The setting is there, but DroidMac quits with an error if I select it.

I already have MiniVMacII, which is great too, but a BasiliskII port would be very useful.
DroidMac already has virtual screens for Mac which can be scrolled on the Android screen, this really does look promising.

Post a reply  
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:07 am 
Space Cadet

Cat_7 wrote:
Hi,

The Basilisk 142 build is a windows specific build. In my opinion it is the most versatile/feature rich version ever built.
It performs wonderfully and allows setting performance options in many areas (through process priorities).

No love for OS X :sad:

Post a reply  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:01 am 
Expert User

Ah,

But you are wrong there: Basilisk build 142 was created in 2001 by one specific windows developer, who did a great job.
The original developer kept the versions of BB/SheepShaver mostly in sync for all supported hosts. After he left the scene in 2008?, most improvements have been targeted at OSX. Nowadays, I guess, most users of Basilisk/SheepShaver are OSX users.

Best,
Cat_7

Post a reply