OpenEmulator

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

mressl
Space Cadet

OpenEmulator

Post by mressl »

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to announce that I am working on an multi-system emulator called OpenEmulator.

Contrary to what many people might consider logic, I started working on the user-interface and I have almost finished it. You can check it out at

http://www.openemulator.org

You can see a list of features and a screenshot here:

http://openemulator.org/features.html

Mac emulation is planned, that's why I'm announcing it here. If there is anybody interested in this, please get in touch with me!

Marc.-
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi Marc,

Very interesting development. Can you tell us which mac models and os'ses you plan to support?
I've read the description of the project and it looks fascinating: build your own computer with components of choice, based on a joint framework. ;-)

Best,
Cat_7
Silent Flamer
Master Emulator

Post by Silent Flamer »

Wow , very nice! If one day it were to be ported to Windows (or me getting a Macintosh) , I would definitely get it . By the way , is the ROM needed for machines?

Very nice screenshot page . It can display the Apple Butterfly image , run GEOS and run GS/OS .
kikkoman
Master Emulator

Post by kikkoman »

Hmm?? How come I can't see the page?
uyjulian
Apple Corer

Post by uyjulian »

i've seen this, I tryed apple i emulation, it no work's
mressl
Space Cadet

Post by mressl »

Hello everybody:

I have the pleasure to announce that OpenEmulator 1.0 has been released. What's new:

* The Apple-1 emulations are working. It is possible to emulate a stock Apple-1, a Briel Replica-1 and a Achatz A-ONE. Every emulation respects the memory maps and features of respective systems.
* There are many virtual monitors that can be plugged in an Apple-1 emulation: the Apple Monitor III (with high phosphor persistence), the Apple Monitor II, a monochrome broadcast monitor, and a composite broadcast monitor. The broadcast monitors allow fine tuning of the video rendering.
* OpenEmulator is most probably the first emulator featuring a fully functional Apple Cassette Interface Card (ACI). The ACI can be plugged into any Apple-1 slot, and allows sending and receiving data to the host audio system.
* OpenEmulator is definitely the first emulator with a CFFA1 expansion card emulation. This card interfaces CompactFlash memory cards with Apple-1 computers. It can be used in this emulation to move files much more quickly than with the cassette interface.
* The audio recorder is capable of storing the sound output to a WAV file, and can play back any of the following formats: WAV, AIFF, CAF, AU, OGG, FLAC.
* OpenEmulator allows to connect devices dynamically to an emulation. Just open the Hardware Library, and drag virtual devices to the corresponding port.
* OpenEmulator features an advanced video rendering system, using GPU shaders to implement advanced monitor emulation.
* OpenEmulator also makes it easy to change emulations internally. Just edit the XML file and reconnect/reconfigure the software components that make up an emulation.

With the best wishes,

Marc.-
MetalSnake
Granny Smith

Post by MetalSnake »

Great that you still working on it.
Didn't test it yet as I'm at work at the moment, but the webpage says the release is from 19.09.2011 that was last month, is that right?

Now the part where I dream:
A Macintosh emulator, written from the ground up, in your OpenEmulator. I imagine that every Hardware part is an Object that can be added to the System Object (in source)? Would be great to do something like that. If I just had the time to do all the research and coding... :/
mressl
Space Cadet

Post by mressl »

Oops, that's a typo! Thanks for pointing that out.

And yes, my goal is the Macintosh as well :-). But later, when things get more stable, and there's a community of developers.

Best wishes,

Marc.-
sheepmyshaver123
Granny Smith

Post by sheepmyshaver123 »

...and also, I wish this project is also available for Windows PC/Linux/DOS/etc.
mressl
Space Cadet

Post by mressl »

Hello!

Yes, Linux and Windows support is planned, but I honestly could get some help with that :-).

Best wishes,

Marc.-
sentient06
Mac Mechanic

Re: OpenEmulator

Post by sentient06 »

Which kind of help, precisely?
I was thinking about engaging in an emulator project, but something simple for starters.
I know C/C++/Obj-C and I guess I am good at design until some point, but never tried anything "low-level" as an emulator before.
mressl
Space Cadet

Re: OpenEmulator

Post by mressl »

Hi!

I just released OpenEmulator 1.0.3. The feature list is:

* Added the 1979 Apple II plus and Apple II j-plus
* Added the 1979 Disk II drives and interface card (13 and 16 sector),
with support for DSK, DO, D13, PO, CPM, NIB, 2IMG, FDI, DiskCopy 4.2,
V2D disk images
* Added the 1979 Apple 16K Language Card
* Added the 1979 Apple Graphics Tablet interface and card