OS9 installation from CD installer

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

sja
Inquisitive Elf

OS9 installation from CD installer

Post by sja »

this is my first SheepShaver installation. I was able to configure SheepShaver with disk and ram. When I booted up and initialized the disk, then started the OS9 installer from CD, I get the error message: "This Program cannot Run on Your Computer. See the documentation for more information". Can anyone advise why the installter won't install? This is SheepShaver 2.3.20091025 running inside 10.5.8
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: OS9 installation from CD installer

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi, welcome!

That message might indicate you are trying to install a version of OS 9 that isn't supported. Anything higher then 9.0.4 can't be installed. And you need to use a universal system disk (yellow/orange 9 on it), not a disk that came with a specific machine.

Best,
Cat_7
sja
Inquisitive Elf

Post by sja »

Many thanks for your reply.
fyi: the Macbook is running 10.5.8 and is Intel chip.
I followed the ROM guide from http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_roms
And, I found a MAC OS9 image on the web to boot from because the OS9 installer I have won't work.

I don't have a system CD with the yellow/orange 9 on it.
My CD is blue/grey and says 'PowerBook Software Install 9.0.4'
I can't get that to install.
Will anything else work?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

You could search torrent sites or the macintoshgarden site for a cd image of a universal install disk with Mac OS 9.0.4.
If you downloaded a working disk image from the redundantrobot site, then be aware that that is not a full install and might lead to problems.

You current disk won't work without some difficult tinkering.

Best,
Cat_7
sja
Inquisitive Elf

Post by sja »

I went ahead and got a universal 9.0.4 image from a site,pointed to it in SheepShaver preferences, and indeed it won't run my applications. The OS boots just fine but no applications will launch. I guess there is some tweaking that has to be done to make the applications work, but I wouldn't know what tweaking that would be.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Perhaps a stupid question, but did you install Mac OS from the CD on to the hard disk image you should have created during setup? Does that installation run OK without the CD in the drive

How are you moving your applications into Mac OS? Are you using the "Unix" option on your desktop? If so, you can't run them from there. You have to copy (or install, when required) them to the hard disk image (not to the desktop!). Please let us know which applications you are trying to run and on which media they currently reside.

Best,
Cat_7
Last edited by Cat_7 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason:  
sja
Inquisitive Elf

Post by sja »

no I didn't install MAC OS from the CD onto the hard disk image. I found an OS9.0 image from the web and I point to that in the SheepShaver preferences. That boots fine to the desktop, but no apps run. I used the image because the OS9 installer CD I had wouldn't install. I pasted that error message in a previous post. I suspect it was because it was an installer that is tied to a specific machine.

I am using the UNIX option on my 10.5.8 desktop. I have copied those applications (Quark-4 is one app) to the desktop, and that's where the app won't run. Quark is on the OS9 virtual desktop.

But......., I just obtained an OS9.0.4 installer CD with the orange 9 from my colleague, and I will install from that CD. I suspect that installer will work since it's what you mentioned in your previous post that is the correct method to install onto the hard disk image.

I will report back the results of the install and if Quark application will run after the install. Did you say that I have to run the Quark installer CD to make Quark work in the OS9? I can't just copy the binary to the Classis side and have it run?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Good! please do a full install from the CD to the virtual hard disk.
What I tried to point out earlier is that you can't run programs from the desktop if you copied them there from the Unix drive. They are actually still on the Unix drive! The Mac OS desktop is a gathering of things that can be on different desktop folder from different disks. Every disk has it's own desktop folder and their contents are shown on the single shared desktop you see.

So, please remember to copy Quark to the actual hard disk icon on which you are going to install Mac OS. Once it is there, you can make an alias on the desktop or even copy it there. You now know that that would be save, as the actual program will be on the desktop folder of the disk on which you installed mac os.

You didn't have an installed Mac OS, only the booted CD. The system on the CD is minimal, it allows some actions, but is mainly there to allow you to set up disks and do the installation.

Good luck,
Cat_7
sja
Inquisitive Elf

Post by sja »

thanks for all the information.

I just found out from my colleague that we don't have the Quark installation CD, so a copy of the binary (from another OS9 laptop) to the OS9 virtual hard disk will hopefully work.

I will do all this work tonight (PDT) and update you.

I appreciate all your detailed help!
sja
Inquisitive Elf

Post by sja »

SUCCESS! The OS9 installation from the Universal Installer CD 9.0.4 (yellow/orange 9) is now working! And, I copied applications from another Classic Pismo laptop to this SheepShaver OS9 installation, and they launch!

I appreciate the leads you gave on using the correct CD 9.0.4 installer as well as the excellent documentation at http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... os_x_setup

I have a few more questions which are, how to enable custom keyboard Maps and fonts in this virtual installation?

1. I have Indic/Roman Keyboard map and a Bengali Keyboard map files. Where would I put these map files to enable these keyboards?

2. I have Bengali, Devanagari MT, Devanagri, and IndicTimes font files. Where do these files go in the virtual OS9HD to enable these fonts in my QuarkExpress applications.

many thanks for your expertise!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

First:
You need a keycodes file to have SheepShaver support keyboards other then with the default layout.
A file called "keycodes" file is included in the recent download for SheepShaver http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/sheepsha ... 120211.zip. I'm assuming you already have it from your download, but if not, just download that latest version.

You can use the Preferences editor to browse to the keycode file at "Use raw keycodes". See the tab Miscellaneous and please refer to the setup guide under heading "5 Configure preferences in Miscellaneous tab"

Then start SheepShaver:
Fonts are placed inside the Fonts folder in the Mac OS System Folder. When you drag and drop the font files on the icon of the closed folder called "System Folder", Mac OS will suggest to put them in the correct folder.

Mac OS Keyboard layouts can be installed in the same way, when dropped on the closed "System Folder" icon, they are placed in the folder called "System" inside the "System Folder"

Best,
Cat_7
Last edited by Cat_7 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason:  
sja
Inquisitive Elf

Post by sja »

all worked as you detailed. thank you so much!

if I want to upgrade to OS-9.1 or higher, is that possible in SheepShaver, or, do we stay at OS-9.0.4?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Good to see!

We can't go above 9.0.4. SheepShaver doesn't emulate the required hardware for that.

Best,
Cat_7
sja
Inquisitive Elf

Post by sja »

ok. thanks for that info. I won't try an OS upgrade.
Is there any need to upgrade SheepShaver if new releases come out?

I haven't yet been able to get the OS9 networking to work with ethernet and dhcp, per the SS documentation.
any tricks on getting that to work? I'm in a dhcp network and it should pick up an ip address but it doesn't. I manually set it but that configuration doesn't persist. not sure why OS9 can't get a network link.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

There is no need to upgrade SheepShaver as long as you run it in Leopard. Upgrading is easy, though. Just replace the application.

Networking (regardless whether your host machine is on a wired or wireless network) should work with these settings:

1. In SheepShaver preferences, miscellaneous tab, Ethernet Interface set to "slirp" (without the quotes).
2. In MacOS, TCP/IP control panel set to DHCP and Ethernet. As soon as you use for instance a web browser, Open Transport is activated and the control panel will show the addresses provided by SheepShaver.

If this does not happen automatically, you can set the addresses manually:

IP Address: 10.0.2.15
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router Address: 10.0.2.2
Name Server Address: 10.0.2.3

Note that you should use these specific addresses, not addresses related to your network.
sja
Inquisitive Elf

Post by sja »

networking is now working! thank you!

When I launch QuarkXPress-4.1, I see the attached XTensions Loading Error.
(Oh, I just see that I can't attach files.)

here are the errors:
'XTensions Loading Error
The following Xtensions were unable to load.' And, a bunch are listed.
Maybe I need to import those XTensions?
sja
Inquisitive Elf

Post by sja »

odd that I see an XTension folder inside of QuarkXPress-4.11 folder, but the application thinks XTensions inside are locked and won't load them. Do I need to do anything special with this XTension folder?
sja
Inquisitive Elf

Post by sja »

ahh.. I see that each XTension file inside the QuarkXPress-4.11 XTension folder has a little padlock on it's bottom left. Do you happen to know what that means? Maybe this XTension folder has to be placed somewhere else to unlock?
sja
Inquisitive Elf

Post by sja »

now I see that a few of the applications that I copied to the OS9HD have little padlocks in their bottom left of file icon. Though the applications launch. Maybe some features won't work. I don't have the original CD's for some of these applications and I copied the binaries.
sja
Inquisitive Elf

Post by sja »

The printing doesn't seem to work. When I select File menu- Print ; I see this error:
'Cannot open the printer. (64)
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

When files have padlocks, they are set to be read-only. If you want to change that, select the file(s), go to the "File" menu, select "Get info", "General info" and un-tick the box "Locked".

I'm assuming the Xtensions folder needs to be in specific place relative to the Xpress application. If so, you need to find out where that was on the original installation. Otherwise you can try to find the setting in Xpress where the location of the Xtensions folder is set. But I seem to remember that the folder needs to be named Xtensions and be placed in the same folder as the Xpress executable. Perhaps the read-only setting has something to do with Xpress not recognising the location.

We have extensive documentation about how to set up printing in SheepShaver. You can find it here: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... =20&t=3331 (scroll down to the first post by our member "emendelson".

Please see how far you get with the instructions.

Best,
Cat_7
sja
Inquisitive Elf

Post by sja »

I was able to get most of the Xtensions to work after unlocking the file with Get Info. The ones that aren't working are missing a library and I will see if I can locate the library. thank you for your clues on that!

I was able to share a printer to the OS9 side per the documentation and see the printer on OS9 side. thank you, again!

However, I was unable to get CUPS-PDF to work on the OS X side. I compiled and installed a 32 bit cups-pdf for Leopard. but, when I try to add a printer on OS X side, I don't see the cups-pdf option/choice. Shouldn't I be seeing that choice in the print applet?
sja
Inquisitive Elf

Post by sja »

Anyone?

I was unable to get CUPS-PDF to work on the OS X side. I compiled and installed a 32 bit cups-pdf for Leopard. but, when I try to add a printer on OS X side, I don't see the cups-pdf option/choice. Shouldn't I be seeing that choice in the print applet?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

An installer package is available here: https://bitbucket.org/codepoet/cups-pdf ... /downloads

It works as advertised: after installation you can use the printer dialog to add a new CUPS-PDF printer. (this is in Lion, I have no Leopard installation anymore)
However, I assume you saw this: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?s ... 7133516145
Doesn't that work?

Also: source code for the older versions is available here: http://www.physik.uni-wuerzburg.de/~vrb ... elog.shtml Perhaps you can try the 4.8.x.x version.

Why do you want to install another printing method when you say you got one working already?

Best,
Cat_7
Last edited by Cat_7 on Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
sja
Inquisitive Elf

Post by sja »

I have a printer working. I would like to print to pdf file which I can do on the OS X side in Quark. But, I have not yet been able to get the Cups-pdf program working on the Classic side. I followed this guide at http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?s ... 7133516145
but when I open up the printer applet inside Quark, I don't see the print to pdf choice. Maybe I have the wrong program for capability to print to pdf in Classis applications??