Help, SheepShaver OS 9.2.1 install from CD

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

A20shota
Student Driver

Help, SheepShaver OS 9.2.1 install from CD

Post by A20shota »

Hello,
I have been trying to emulate an older version of mac os system,
either os x 10.6
os 9
just any DAMN MAC SYSTEM TO SUPPORT GOD DAMN POWER PC,
I have tried everything, and at all avenues, error, cannot install on this machine, cannot open application, missing CarbonLIB,
cannot update software to support this program,
for god sake can someone help me and put it into english!
as the instructions said on this page
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... os_x_setup

i followed everything to the T, i get to the part where it says using disk image and the error i get is
The start up disk will not work on this macintosh model. Use the latest installer to update his disk for this model.

I have been at this for about 6 months! and i am extremely frustrated, as i updated to 10.7.5 and everything i had/have is now completely f'd!
Oh P.S i have tried
Virtual Box
Wineskin
BasaliskII (i think you need to be a programer to operate that)
and SheepShaver....nothing works!
Thankyou, and sorry for the moodiness!
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Help, SheepShaver OS 9.2.1 install from CD

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Sorry to see you got so frustrated by following our guide. It was intended to limit frustration by explaining SheepShaver setup in detail ;-)

The guide states that you can only install up to Mac OS 9.0.4 in SheepShaver. This then explains why you got the error "can not install..." as you are trying to install Mac OS 9.2.1. When searching for a Mac OS install CD of Mac OS 9 you should take care it is universal install CD (or image of such CD), as CD that came with a specific Mac model will not work.
In order to check whether the rest of your SheepShaver setup is correct, you can download a demo disk image (it doesn't contain a full installation of OS 9) from the redundant robot site.

Any PowerPC Mac OS versions above Mac OS 9 should be installed using PearPC, which is dreadful because it is dead slow when ran in Mac OS X as host.

You should be able to install Mac OS 10.6, which should still give you Apple' own PowerPC emulator "Rosetta" in Virtual box, Parallels or Fusion. But only after "fixing" these programs. We, however, do not deal with that. Please refer to a site such as insanelymac for that.

Best,
Cat_7
A20shota
Student Driver

Post by A20shota »

Thankyou for your fast and hastey reply,

It is good to see that these forums are regularly monitored :)

but yes, after more investigating, i have come to realise that yes it was user error of trying to install over os 9.0.4,
i now backdated and am currently half way through the install of 9.0.4 which i am excited about,
i am still hoping that i can use some power PC applications as long as i have the updated CarbonLIB,
would you have much knowledge on carbon lib and os 9.0.4 ...
what am i talking about, you probably invented os 9.0.4 hahaha ;)
A20shota
Student Driver

Post by A20shota »

hmmm ok,
i have recently discovered that when i start to install os 9.0.4, it starts to install but the timer just gets longer and longer and longer,
is it meant take over an hour plus?
or is there something like a hang time going on?
thankyoy for your help!

oh this also comes up in console as well,
25/01/13 7:11:41.000 PM kernel: IOSurface: buffer allocation size is zero
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

It may be the stall that can happen while the installer tries to update the Apple hard disk drivers. See our setup guide, in the section about installing the system, the description and how to get around it.

Applications that need the latest CarbonLib for Mac OS extension (version 1.6) will run with it in Mac OS 9.0.4. Of course you cannot run applications that need any version of Mac OS X in SheepShaver.
A20shota
Student Driver

Post by A20shota »

thankyou, i will enquire and follow your instructions :)
A20shota
Student Driver

Post by A20shota »

After following the guide, and also the 'connecting to the internet guide,
i have finally got OS 9.0.4 working, no thanks to the help of you two fine gentleman,
but another problem has arrived
I have also succesfully updated carbon Lib to 1.6, after doing this, when i try open my program, i receive an error stating that the program cannot be run on this system, can only be run on os 8.6 or later,

this confuses me as i am running 9.0.4
thankyou
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

That is strange indeed. Did you restart MacOS/SheepShaver after installing CarbonLib 1.6? The extension may be available only after a new startup.
A20shota
Student Driver

Post by A20shota »

Yes, i not only restarted sheep shaver,
i also restated my actual mac, same error
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

On your actual Mac this is also in 9.0.4 (or another 9.x.x)? Has the program ever run in a MacOS 9? Does/did it run in 8.6?
A20shota
Student Driver

Post by A20shota »

The host system is 10.7.5
the sheepshaver system is 9.0.4 and has only ever run 9.0.4
when i try the software updater, it says it cannot update, but i can surf the internet through IE explorer
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

:?: Are we still talking about the same problem or is this a different problem?

I asked if your program (which program is that?), that apparently does not run in 9.0.4 although it is supposed to run in 8.6 and later, does run in 8.6. What has software updater to do with that? Have you ever tried the program in 8.6?

(The software updater in 9.0.4 (if it works) will only install a new version of the updater and next install CarbonLib 1.6. As you already installed CarbonLib 1.6, you do not need the updater.)
A20shota
Student Driver

Post by A20shota »

oh ok,

no i have never installed os 8.6, i have a 9.0.4 cd which installed successfully,
the updater within os 9.04 won't update and that's why i downloaded carbon lib 1.6,
the only problem is that all the applications i try to open, all state the same problem,
all the programs ask that i use os 8.6 or later
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Literally "all" programs? Which applications are we talking about?

SheepShaver starts up from the installed 9.0.4 and CarbonLib 1.6 is installed in that system?
A20shota
Student Driver

Post by A20shota »

all generic applications that came with the install od os9, work fine,
applications which i have imported through the share folder have problems,

i have also taken the programs from the shared folder and moved them into os9 desktop to see if that fixed the problem, didn't help

it's only third party programs and game applications that fail
appleworkd 5.0.3 fails to open with the same error
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Ah,

Our guides state clearly that you should never run applications from the shared drive, nor move them to the OS 9 desktop. If you do, they actually stay on the shared disk.
You always need to copy them to the OS disk before running. You can make aliases on the desktop, but only when the original resides on the OS 9 disk.

Best,
Cat_7
A20shota
Student Driver

Post by A20shota »

thankyou

is that the .dsk file or the os9.iso?
and if it's the .dsk, how can i open the folder contents?

Edit:
I copied the files inside sheepshaver from shared onto the emulated HD, i still encounter the same error,
you need os 8.6 or later to run this application
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Exactly which volumes do you use in SheepShaver? Is os9.iso the image of a system install CD? If it is and if you followed the guide, it should not be on your OS9 desktop anymore. Did you do an actual installation of OS9 and did you do that on the image you created?

As described in the guide, applications can be added using the shared folder/Unix disk and next be copied (dragged) directly from the Unix disk to another disk that is mounted on the SheepShaver desktop, usually the virtual HD you created, that you installed the system onto, and that is the boot volume for SheepShaver.

Is the CarbonLib 1.6 extension where it should be, in the Extensions folder in the System Folder?
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
A20shota
Student Driver

Post by A20shota »

i figured it out,
once i copied the files through sheep shaver onto the actual os9 emulated HD, the application worked,

thankyou for your help and time :)