Basilisk II crashing/freezing when opening MacPascal or MPW

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

macdude
Space Cadet

Basilisk II crashing/freezing when opening MacPascal or MPW

Post by macdude »

I followed the instructions to set up system 7.5.3 in Basilisk II (http://emaculation.com/doku.php/basiliskii_osx_setup) and successfully installed THINK Pascal. However when trying to open MacPascal (downloaded from here) or Macintosh Programmer's Workshop (from http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/macinto ... s-workshop) System 7 freezes entirely except for the mouse.

On other occasions Basilisk II will crash entirely with EXC_BAD_ACCESS due to an invalid kernel address, sometimes just EXC_CRASH, or other times System 7 will show a warning that the application failed to launch because of an error of type 3 had occurred.

Any ideas what could be causing this?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Basilisk II crashing/freezing when opening MacPascal or

Post by adespoton »

Which ROM image are you using?

I remember having similar issues with MacPascal and MPW back in the day when I attempted to run it under the wrong (real) hardware. Which release of MPW and MacPascal are you using?

With 7.5.3, your best bet probably is Symantec's THINK Pascal, as it was a contemporary release to 7.5.3. For System 6 and System 7.0, Borland's Turbo Pascal was the best bet.

Metrowerk's CodeWarrior packages are probably the best solution as long as you line up the right release with the right OS and ROM.

As for MPW, the common versions of that were released around 1993-1996, so you're looking at Mac OS 7.6.1 or Mac OS 8.1 for 68k, or Mac OS 8.6 or 9.0 for PPC builds.

See the discussion threads on here regarding Macsbug for issues using a debugger (either Macsbug, or the ones built into some of the products mentioned).
macdude
Space Cadet

Post by macdude »

Thanks for the reply.

I'm using the Macintosh Performa 630 ROM.

Running the Golden Master edition of MPW (3.5) which says it 'should work on Macs running Mac OS 7 through Mac OS 9' and is from around 1999. As for MacPascal it's version 7.3E from 1984.

THINK Pascal is certainly working nicely which I am glad of.

Considering MPW is from around 1999 would it perhaps be wise to try MPW on Mac OS 8.1 or 9? Any ideas for MacPascal?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

MacPascal works under Mini vMac IIRC. I can't even recall if it works under a Mac II at all (I haven't actively used it since ~1990).
macdude
Space Cadet

Post by macdude »

Thanks very much, I shall give Mini vMac a try.
g0blinish
Student Driver

Post by g0blinish »

Same issue with OS7.5.3 and Quadra 650(basilisk II)
venex
Space Cadet

Post by venex »

I had the same problem with Symantec Think C and Lightspeed C crashing under BasiliskII. I solved it by setting "Mac Model ID" under "Memory/Misc" to "Mac IIci" and using Mac IIci.ROM (checksum 368CADFE). It seems that you need this exact ROM version or there will be trouble with other software, too.