Basilisk for OSX 10.2 or Mac OS 9.1

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

christine274
Space Cadet

Basilisk for OSX 10.2 or Mac OS 9.1

Post by christine274 »

I have an old iMac that I'd like to use to run legacy software. It has a partition with OSX 10.2 and another partition with OS 9.1. I can't update the 10.2 partition any further - it's a pretty old machine. Are there versions of Basilisk out there for either of those OSes? I want to make it a machine for my kids and put some of the oldies but goodies on it for them. I don't really want to put Basilisk on my own machine and let the kids at it :)
christine274
Space Cadet

Re: Basilisk for OSX 10.2 or Mac OS 9.1

Post by christine274 »

Hmm. One minute after I posted that question, it occurred to me that perhaps that machine can run system 7 natively. I'm going to check it out, but leave the question up for now.

UPDATE: It looks like I can only go back to Mac OS8 on the machine I have. But it also looks like a lot of the software I want to use runs on anything from System 7 through OS9. So I might not need to use Basilisk....
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

There are versions of BII still for 10.3 and later available for download; I'm not sure if they'd run on 10.2 or not. However, most software should run under 9.1, and the stuff that doesn't will run under Mini vMac which can still be downloaded for both 10.2 and OS 9.
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

You will certainly get a better experience with system 8 and or blue box on OS X.
don't do today what you can put off until tomorrow.