SheepShaver MacOS9 HD space allottment help request...

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

garyj
Inquisitive Elf

SheepShaver MacOS9 HD space allottment help request...

Post by garyj »

Hi ~ I'm a new fan of SheepShaver (SS) and Emaculation. I'm using Snow Leopard (10.6.8), I set up SheepShaver very successfully a few days ago. Was quite happily running OS9 on my Mac. I started out with a 4000Mb drive space, everything worked great! But I realized that I had way-more good ol' OS9 Applications than I'd realized... so, with a total 2.34Gb of OS9 apps loaded, and more to come, I decided to increase my allotted HD space - knowing that I'd have to start completely over with my SS installation... My Mac has plenty of unused space (nearly 200GB), so I just thought I'd allot say 30,000Mb for SS. So, I moved all of my apps out of SS, trashed everything left and started over....

So of course 30,000Mb wouldn't work, nor 20,000, nor 10,000, nor 8,000. Now I can't even get it to work at my original 4000Mb setting!

– Although it does work with the original default setting of 40Mb... which isn't going to help.

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? I have deleted my pref's and even zapped my pram -via the included scripts, re-installed SS, etc. What is the maximum allowable HD space that I can create in SS pref's?

Any help would be very appreciated - am quite frustrated here :???:
Meow_2004
Granny Smith

Re: SheepShaver MacOS9 HD space allottment help request...

Post by Meow_2004 »

That's weird, i'm guessing sheepshaver goes to a maximum amount of space (which I don't know) I installed Mac OS 9.0.4 on Sheepshaver in Windows 10. I put my Space up to 1000MB (1GB) I don't use it as much because i'm trying to figure out more Mac stuff, but it must be your computer, or the disk space is having errors
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Well, I doubt anyone here ever tried a 30GB HD image in SheepShaver (did such large drives even exist in the 90's?). Even 4GB seems a lot to me.
If you need more storage space in SheepShaver, better create several volumes instead of one very big one.

When you want to start over, first delete the old image files and use again the scripts to delete the prefs and nvram files. Maybe also restart the Snow Leopard host.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

The Mac HFS file system has a 2TB volume limit with a 2GB file size limit.
If you are aiming at HFS+ the limit is 8EB (exabyte) for volume and file.
A 30GB image for SheepShaver is not a problem but not advisable either maybe.
Here are some, feel free to try.
http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/disk-images-emulators
I´m using a 7GB image for mounting ISO´s occasionally. No problem.
garyj
Inquisitive Elf

Post by garyj »

Thank you Ronald, and 24bit and Meow_2004!

Well, someone around here said "be generous with with your volume size allotments.. ", so in these days of multi-Terabyte hard drives, I figured I had plenty of space, so I gave SS 30Gb - thinking it should never need more than that... Blew its OS9 mind, I guess... OH, well.

So I have several 2GB volumes now, which seem to be working quite well. Whew!

Thank you all again for your time, and for being here!

~ Gary :mrgreen: