Problem with Mac OS 10.12 installation

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

egired
Student Driver

Problem with Mac OS 10.12 installation

Post by egired »

I am trying to install SheepShaver on an Apple MacBook Pro running OS X 10.12. I noticed that there is a compatibility issue with OS X 10.12 that requires one needs to copy the SheepShaver app from its folder to the desktop, delete the original app in the SheepShaver folder, and then move the copied app from the desktop back to the SheepShaver folder. I used "command-C" to copy the SheepShaver app and "command-P" to paste it on the desktop. I then deleted the original app and moved the pasted app from the desktop into the SheepShaver folder. I don't know if it matters, but I also had previously placed a "Mac OS ROM" file and an OS9 CD image file into the SheepShaver folder. When I try to start SheepShaver it seems that the program tries to open but immediately closes. I'm guessing that this problem is related to the 10.12 issue but I'm not sure how to fix it. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!!
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: Problem with Mac OS 10.12 installation

Post by 24bit »

Did you also run (once) the SS app after you copied it to the desktop as advised?
That did the trick for me. (macOS 10.12.3)
egired
Student Driver

Post by egired »

No, I did not do that, but will give it a try. The Compatibility notes the Emaculation.com website (see below) do not include this step. Many thanks for your help!!!!!

"- macOS 10.12 (Sierra)
There is an issue with macOS 10.12 Sierra (in fact with an additional new security feature in Sierra) that prevents a newly installed SheepShaver to run. The procedure to get it running is simply to copy the program to the desktop, remove the old program in the SheepShaver folder and move the new copy from the desktop to the SheepShaver folder."
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Please also check that your rom file doesn't have a hidden extension attached to it. SheepShaver also immediately halts when initially (before configuration with the prefs editor) the rom file isn't found.

Best,
Cat_
egired
Student Driver

Post by egired »

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm certain there is not hidden extension, as I have used the same file to install SheepShaver on a Mac running OS 10.9. I will try the 'trick' suggested by "24bit" to try to open the app on the desktop one time before moving it back to the SheepShaver folder. Although 24bit's reply did not mention it, I assume I do NOT need to have any of the other required installation files (ROM and OS 9 image file) on the desktop while trying to open SheepShaver on the desktop.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Indeed not needed. But you could try if you want.
The prefs file will be created in your home folder anyway.

Best,
Cat_7
egired
Student Driver

Post by egired »

I was able to get SheepShaver to run after trying the trick you suggested of first opening one time the application that was copied to the desktop. Although it may not have been necessary, a copy of the "Mac OS ROM" file was also on the desktop when I opened SheepShaver on the desktop. Thanks again for your suggestion!!!