Can't run program b/c of 100MHz setting in SS

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

drewbiedoo42
Space Cadet

Can't run program b/c of 100MHz setting in SS

Post by drewbiedoo42 »

Hey there - I have Sheepshaver running quite well, but I've happened across an old program that gives the following error when run:
Dungeon Siege requires a PowerPC processor running at 400MHz or faster.

I've read elsewhere that SS has a 100MHz speed included in the code for "cosmetic" reasons, but those reasons seem to be getting in the way of this program running...

Any suggestions?

I'm on a 2013 MBP OSX 10.12.3
SS ver 2.4.20140201

Thanks!
Andrew
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: Can't run program b/c of 100MHz setting in SS

Post by 24bit »

Is it this game you are trying to play? http://macintoshgarden.org/games/dungeon-siege
400MHz PPC likely meant a G4 or a G3 at least.
SheepShaver will not cope with that as different hardware is being emulated.

Some old apps and games will run with Apple´s PPC emulation Rosetta, which was dropped with OSX10.6.
I would try the game with a virtual machine running 10.5 as guest OS in macOS Sierra.
drewbiedoo42
Space Cadet

Post by drewbiedoo42 »

Yes that's it. Thanks for the suggestion. Kinda new to this emulator/VM thing. Been using a Mac for a year after 30 years on a PC where compatibility wasn't this complicated.

I mean, I love the Mac, but this architecture stuff is crazy.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

The game from Macintoshgarden installs fine in OSX 10.5.
To run the game, the app looks for the physical CD-2. There are a lot of no-CD patches listed in a thread at Macintoshgarden, maybe that will help.
I get stuck here and do not know where to fix according to the requester. The readme points to .ini in the user/ducuments/dungeonsiege folder, but that does not help me.

"DrawSprocket cannot switch to the requested resolution (800x600, 16bit, 1 buffer).
Make sure your computer meets the display requirements specified in the Read Me file."

Maybe QEMU emulating a G3 Mac will run the game?