After years of non-use, Basilisk II not opening

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Segune
Student Driver

After years of non-use, Basilisk II not opening

Post by Segune »

I installed both Basilisk II and Sheepshaver years ago on OS 10.8.x (it's been 10.8.5 since the beginning or soon after). I got them working at the time. I haven't used either of them since then. Now I've been trying again, but Basilisk II won't open at all (& just in case it can shed any light on the situation: Sheepshaver has a question-mark disk). Console shows this:

BasiliskII[268]: CPSSetForegroundOperationState(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.

Should I be starting fresh from the beginning with installing? I've look around on the forum to see if there was something simple I'd forgotten over the years, but I haven't come across anything yet.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: After years of non-use, Basilisk II not opening

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Could it be that since you installed the emulators, some related files were moved or even removed? Are you still on 10.8.5? if nothing changed in the setup, everything should still work.

The warning about a deprecated call is "normal" and can be ignored
Segune
Student Driver

Post by Segune »

Yes, I'm still on 10.8.5. Hmmmm. I can't think of anything that could have been moved, and I'm the only one with access. If I *had* installed Basilisk II (and Sheepshaver) on 10.8.something-earlier – 10.8 shipped with this computer – could that possibly have had an effect?

Thanks for the info about the deprecated call, in any case! That's one step forward.
Segune
Student Driver

Post by Segune »

Another possibility: The main difference between now and then is my internet setup. Back then it was ethernet; now it's wifi. I wouldn't *think* that would make a difference. Could this have an effect?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Regular updates to 10.8.5 from an earlier 10.8.x should not change anything.

This is the BasiliskII forum, so let us start with BasiliskII.

Open Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities) and type at the prompt

Code: Select all

open ~/.basilisk_ii_prefs
followed by a return.

The prefs file will open in your default text editor. Select all content, copy and paste it here in your reply.
Segune
Student Driver

Post by Segune »

硥晴⁳ਯ敳楲污⁡搯癥振⹵求敵潴瑯⵨潍敤੭敳楲污⁢搯癥港汵੬摵瑰湵敮慦獬੥摵灰牯⁴〶㘶戊潯摴楲敶〠戊潯摴楲敶⁲ਰ慲獭穩⁥㌸㠸〶ਸ牦浡獥楫⁰ਸ਼潭敤楬⁤ਵ灣⁵ਲ਼灦⁵慦獬੥潮摣潲慦獬੥潮潳湵⁤慦獬੥潮汣灩潣癮牥楳湯映污敳渊杯極映污敳樊瑩映污敳樊瑩灦⁵慦獬੥楪摴扥杵映污敳樊瑩慣档獥穩⁥ਰ楪汴穡晹畬桳映污敳樊瑩湩楬敮映污敳權祥潢牡瑤灹⁥ਵ敫捹摯獥映污敳洊畯敳桷敥浬摯⁥਱潭獵睥敨汥楬敮⁳ਲ਼獤⁰搯癥搯灳洊硩牥⼠敤⽶業數ੲ杩潮敲敳癧映污敳椊汤睥楡⁴牴敵

It looks Chinese to me.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

That doesn't translate to anything that makes sense... possibly your prefs file got corrupted?
Segune
Student Driver

Post by Segune »

That's what I was wondering. For comparison, replacing basilisk_ii with sheepshaver has similar results. If I just trash the prefs, would I have a "clean start"? – I don't remember the setup process, and maybe setting up prefs was part of that.

Added: And I'm wondering if it's possible to figure out what could have corrupted the prefs.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Weird. I have never seen anything like this happen. Does everything else work normally on your machine?

Deleting the files will enable you to start again.

SheepShaver setup guide is here: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... os_x_setup
BasiliskII setup guide is here: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/bas ... _osx_setup

You may be able to use rom files and disk images used with your previous setup.

(When you have questions about SheepShaver, please post in the SheepShaver forum.)
Segune
Student Driver

Post by Segune »

Well, everything else *seems* to work normally. But I haven't been using most applications/files on the computer lately.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

You should probably run a disk check on the host; you might have other corrupted files too.

If BII is now working, you should be fine going forward with it :)
Segune
Student Driver

Post by Segune »

I did the built-in Mac OS verify/repair disk, but no problems were found through these checks. Maybe there are more checks possible? For me it's odd to think that both Basilisk II & Sheepshaver are messed up & everything else could be fine. Edit: Ok, there *were* disk permissions to be repaired.

Anyway, I will now start reinstalling the emulators & see how far that comes along.

And thank you guys for the all the tips and help last night!