Basilisk II and Bias DECK

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

xorcist
Space Cadet

Basilisk II and Bias DECK

Post by xorcist »

Trying to get Bias DECK to run under 7.5.3 and it won't run due to an error from DECK claiming it can't find a suitable sound engine which is odd as Alchemy (sound editor) runs and works... Any ideas? Maybe I should see about upgrading to a higher OS?

X
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Basilisk II and Bias DECK

Post by adespoton »

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/review_deck_1.html

System Requirements: PowerPC, G3, G4 Processor, built-in 16-bit Macintosh sound, or supported ASIO-compatible audio card/audio interface and most recent ASIO 1.0 driver software from ASIO hardware manufacturer, or Korg 1212 I/O PCI-bus audio card. Frame-accurate sync to SMPTE/EBU timecode requires an OMS-compatible hardware device. 32MB System RAM minimum (4- to 8-track playback); 64MB RAM or more recommended 128MB yields up to 20-track playback with G3 and 200Mhz+ PowerPC CPUs (additional RAM delivers greater performance), 5MB minimum available hard disk space (for program), 640 x 480 screen resolution (color monitor recommended) Mac OS 7.6.1 or later QuickTime 2.5 or later Sound Manager 3.2.1 or later OMS 2.3.1 or later required for synchronizing Deck to OMS-compatible MIDI sequencers & playback of MIDI tracks.

You're going to need to run it on SheepShaver, and even then, you may have issues with frame-accurate sync, as serial isn't implemented to be MIDI compatible on any emulator other than FUSION IIRC.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Software like this, looking for real hardware, will be hard to run under an emulator.
I found Bias 2.6 at Macintoshgarden and tried with SheepShaver, MacOS 7.6.
The only thing it does is opening a box saying:
"Problems initializing playback engine. No supported hardware is available."
xorcist
Space Cadet

Post by xorcist »

Yup - my problem too. Thank you for checking. I knew I shouldn't of thrown my old Mac out :D
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

There's an entire online community dedicated to OS 9 DAW diehards -- getting the fastest hardware you can find that can run Mac OS 9 opens up a LOT of opportunities for using old audio hardware and software.

See http://www.macos9lives.com/mac%20os%209%20lives_002.htm for recommended DAW hardware :)
xorcist
Space Cadet

Post by xorcist »

Brilliant adespoton! Thank you!

/jumps down mac-rabbit hole once again.