Sheep Shaver Problem

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

nicholaszc
Space Cadet

Sheep Shaver Problem

Post by nicholaszc »

Hello All I recently downloaded Sheepshaver and chubby bunny and it with not install/open any application I put on it. It says something like the application created with this program could not be found. other applications in the mac os 9 applications folder work fine. please help
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: Sheep Shaver Problem

Post by 24bit »

Apple used a file system where things were split into data fork and resource fork.
The resource fork will be lost when moving Apple files via "foreign" file systems.
If you want to transfer files e.g. from Macintoshgarden, best use a container like img, sit or hqx.
Img can be opened via the SheepShaver GUI - Volumes.
Sit and hqx have to be expanded after dragging them onto a SheepShaver volume from the shared folder - not to the Mac desktop.
Both file types can be processed with Stuffit Expander.
Stuffit Expander is included with a full install of MacOS9 and some more versions.
The app is also hosted here: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/stuffit-expander-55

Which host OS are you using and where did you get the OS9 image?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Chubby Bunny is a pre-configured SheepShaver version for OSX. Mac properties of files like the resource are preserved on the HFS+ file system in OSX. Maybe you try to move applications to OS9 in SheepShaver using the shared folder/Unix volume. Applications cannot be launched from the Unix volume and not when moved directly from the Unix folder to the desktop. You need to copy the files within SheepShaver from the Unix volume to one of the mounted disk image volumes first.
nicholaszc
Space Cadet

Post by nicholaszc »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:Chubby Bunny is a pre-configured SheepShaver version for OSX. Mac properties of files like the resource are preserved on the HFS+ file system in OSX. Maybe you try to move applications to OS9 in SheepShaver using the shared folder/Unix volume. Applications cannot be launched from the Unix volume and not when moved directly from the Unix folder to the desktop. You need to copy the files within SheepShaver from the Unix volume to one of the mounted disk image volumes first.
Hello Im trying to run the game bugdom Is there another mac os 9 emulate for OS X that would be able to run this game
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

As far as I am aware, Bugdom uses 3D graphics. No version of SheepShaver has that capability. I do not know if the game could run in OS9 in QEMU. However, if possible, it would probably run unusable slow there.
nicholaszc
Space Cadet

Post by nicholaszc »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:As far as I am aware, Bugdom uses 3D graphics. No version of SheepShaver has that capability. I do not know if the game could run in OS9 in QEMU. However, if possible, it would probably run unusable slow there.
Oh ok :(
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

On the plus side, Pangaea has re-compiled most of their software library for modern devices. The original Nanosaur, Bugdom, and Power Pete are, unfortunately, not on the list. Nanosaur 2 Multiplayer, Bugdom 2, Enigma 2 and Cro-Mag Rally are available for OS X and iOS though.

Until we get OpenGL passthrough or ATi card emulation on qemu-ppc, Bugdom can only be enjoyed on real PPC hardware.