Mac OS Install Program Crack

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

LinuxDream
Space Cadet

Mac OS Install Program Crack

Post by LinuxDream »

Sorry,I no speak English :(

Please look pictures following :

:mrgreen:
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Very nice! :mrgreen:
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

I did a similar thing installing MacOS 9 onto my Powerbok 3400c using a PowerMac G4 restore disk.

Here's what I did:

*Boot from CD.
*Open the CD
The only thing that Apple Software restore does is copy a disk image onto a real disk.
*Open the configurations folder
*You should now see a disk image called PowerMac G4 restore. Will be different on other systems.
*Mount using DiskCopy. You should just be able to double click
*Copy contents of mounted disk image onto hard disk

Yes, the system will be for a PowerMac G4 but it works (at least on my 3400c).

Does your method install a a full system? Or just a G4 Cube?
LinuxDream
Space Cadet

Post by LinuxDream »

The method available all specific version system install CD (8.1 8.6 9.0 9.1 9.2 etc.) but no restore CD
LinuxDream
Space Cadet

Post by LinuxDream »

Question:
do i copy the MAC OS 9 install cd to an .hfv volume? than edit the install software on that hfv volume? and how do i get Resedit onto the desktop to edit the file? is it on the install cd? or do i need to download and drop it in with HFV explorer? and than the directions say after saving the file(which im pretty sure i wont be able to do directly to the cd) to reboot... but on reboots i get the error "you can't load system install software off a hard disk, you need to use the original software media"

Answer:
first download HFV exploer, create a HFV, then copy Resedit into HFV.
mount the HFV and MAC OS ISO onto SheepShaver Settings "Volumes"
use daemon-tools mount MAC OS ISO file, boot from Virtual CD-ROM Drive.

edit complete

unmount the MAC OS ISO onto SheepShaver Settings "Volumes", but no Virtual CD-ROM Drive in MAC OS ISO
then reboot.
ps: boot from Virtual CD-ROM Drive.
DJ Exprice
Space Cadet

Post by DJ Exprice »

Worked AMAZINGLY!

Thank you SO MUCH! I don't know how I can ever repay you.

A+!
·:DJ Exprice:·
danco
Inquisitive Elf

Post by danco »

Is there an equivalent technique for using any install disk on a Mac?

I am just playing at the moment, as I do not have a proper version of the Mac OS. I was able to boot from an old Disk Warrior disk, which does have OS 9 on it. But this is a special version, and one can't just move the System Folder across, one gets the message that it only works on the original disk.

And I tried mounting a .smi image, and SheepShaver said "mounting ..." but then crashed.
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Post by yksoft1 »

Some CD image file formats with no header (like .iso and .toast) formatted in HFS can be considered the same as plain .img or .hfv HFS volume image files that SheepShaver can mount it read-write.
ps: if you have a recover cd you can just copy out the Disk Copy image and mount it in Sheepshaver, it may boot.
to danco: .smi means Self-Mounting disk image, is in truth an application. they cannot be mounted by sheepshaver
danco
Inquisitive Elf

Post by danco »

Valuable information, but it didn't apply to my Install disk. Presumably because it is an 8.5 System Disk, though it could possibly be because it is an iMac install disk.

First, the name of the file is different (IMac Install Data (UK)) on my disk.

And then the ID 3000 item has size 10 (not 16) and when you open it what you get is

0002 C000 0712 0001

So does anyone know how to modify that?
ayzee
Student Driver

Need mac info

Post by ayzee »

I have just noticed that these directions are for a PC. Is there a way for doing this on the intel mac...I have installed sheepshaver on my intel mac. I have gotten up to the point of sheepshaver booting of my install cd which is os 9.04. When I click the install os9 part, i get "This program cannot run on your computer. See documentation for more info." So how do I do this.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The procedure for this hack is exactly the same in MacOSX. Any specific step you do not understand?

(You posted this question twice, in this topic and again in a new topic. I deleted the second one.)
ayzee
Student Driver

Post by ayzee »

how do i go about making a .iso for mac...is there a program within mac osx that i can do to do this hack...Also, how about the hsf file, how do i get, and create it.
danco
Inquisitive Elf

Post by danco »

It doesn't need to be an iso. All that's needed is a read-write disk image, for instance a .dmg file, which you can create using Disk Utility.

I'm stuck - as I have posted, but no reply as yet - at a different point.

The instructions are for a 9.0 install disk. The 8.5 disk is slightly different, and one can easily get part of the way, but it's not possible to guess the exact change needed. It needs some expert to say what the change is.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

ayzee wrote:how do i go about making a .iso for mac...is there a program within mac osx that i can do to do this hack...Also, how about the hsf file, how do i get, and create it.
I am not certain you understand what this hack is about. Normally you should use a regular retail system installation CD for installing MacOS in SheepShaver. This hack is to enable the use of a system CD that was provided with a specific Mac model and thus cannot be used on other machines, like on the machine that is emulated by SheepShaver. The hack may work, but there is a real chance that the installation will not be fully functional because the installer was meant to be used on a specific hardware configuration that is different from the emulated hardware. It is better, and much easier, to use a general retail system CD if you can find one or are willing to purchase one.

The hack is a edit in the resources of the installer application to make it install on the emulated Mac. The edit can not be made on the CD, so it must be done in a disk image copy of the CD. You also need to have a copy of the old ResEdit at hand for editing the resource. The code in the efpr resource may differ from the code shown in the example above, depending on the MacOS version and the target Mac model.

The .iso file is a disk image copy of the CD. A MacOSX application that can make .iso files is for instance Toast. But you can also use a disk image created from the CD by Disk utility. Choose "DVD/CD master" (.cdr) format.

With "hsf" file you probably refer to the .HFV file that is shown in the volumes list in the SheepShaver settings window with the .iso file? When you study the above images, you will see that that must be the hardfile (the disk image file) that is created to be used to install the system onto. In MacOSX it can have any name you give it, does not even need a file extension. A .dmg extension is convenient, because than you can also mount that image in MacOSX (after it has been initialized by MacOS in SheepShaver). That way you can easily have ResEdit available in SheepShaver. If you use disk images with .dmg extension, make sure you never mount those in MacOS and MacOSX at the same time.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

danco wrote:I'm stuck - as I have posted, but no reply as yet - at a different point.

The instructions are for a 9.0 install disk. The 8.5 disk is slightly different, and one can easily get part of the way, but it's not possible to guess the exact change needed. It needs some expert to say what the change is.
Which changes have you tried so far? My first guess would be changing 0196 to 0043.
ayzee
Student Driver

Post by ayzee »

How do i get resedit into sheepsaver. i downloaded resedit, is the new one okay, or does it have to be an old one, and if so, where do i get the old one.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

ayzee wrote:How do i get resedit into sheepsaver.
I explained that already, copy it to a disk image that you created for or added to SheepShaver. You should, of course, not use the disk image created from the CD, because after changing the resource you need to burn again a CD from it. If you use the latest SheepShaver build (see sticky topic at the top of this SheepShaver forum) you can also transfer application files through the shared folder.
i downloaded resedit, is the new one okay, or does it have to be an old one, and if so, where do i get the old one.
A new ResEdit? The newest one I know is version 2.3.1 which dates from the mid-nineties of last century.
danco
Inquisitive Elf

Post by danco »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
danco wrote:I'm stuck - as I have posted, but no reply as yet - at a different point.

Which changes have you tried so far? My first guess would be changing 0196 to 0043.
I was hoping someone could come up with a definitive reply before I tried anything, so I have been waiting.

Another reason to wait is that someone has promised me a different install disk, but is slow in getting it to me.
ayzee
Student Driver

Post by ayzee »

I was able to reboot from a restore cd, since i was having no luck from the actual install software cd. I got as far as grabbing the disk copy and making a copy of what was inside the configuration folder. When I did this, the system folder showed up on the screen along with other icons. So i opened up my restore cd and double clicked the install software icon, it takes me to a window where it asks me where do i want to restore the software into. The problem with this, my hardrive, and other mounted hard drive are dimmed(not accessible) and the only button available are switch disk(which doesnt help at all), and quit.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Using a restore disk, do not use the "Restore" function, simply copy the files from the disk image to the SheepShaver volume that is intended to become the boot volume.
See this topic: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3184

Better not use the startup disk control panel as suggested in that posting. The startup disk control panel is not functional in SheepShaver (the startup disk is always the top bootable volume in SheepShaver's volumes list) and using the startup disk control panel may make SheepShaver crash.

Note that the installation on a restore disk is very much hardware specific and some functions (like sound) may not work in SheepShaver.
ayzee
Student Driver

Post by ayzee »

so what do you suggest, as far as restarting or rebooting, cause I'm still on the same topic as far as not being able to access the buttons that i mentioned previously. I made a disk copy and it popped up on the os9 desktop, what do i do from that point. Do i leave everything on the desktop. When i go to the restore CD, that is where i run into my problem. None of the volumes are accessible.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Which "buttons" are you referring to? What do you mean with volumes that are not accessible?

I do not have a MacOS restore disk here, so I have no way of checking. The description in the other topic, to which I gave the link, seems quite straightforward to me.

You booted from the CD? The CD then appears on the SheepShaver desktop, as does the volume that you want to install onto. On the CD should be a folder 'configurations' and in that folder should be a disk image. According to the posting in the other topic, that disc image can be opened. I suppose what is meant is that that disk image can be mounted and opened. What happens when you double click that disk image? Does it mount? Can you open the mounted image? Does it contain files and folders? Does it contain a System Folder?

Edit 1: In your earlier message you talked about "grabbing" the disk image, but you should not "grab" the disk image. You should leave it inside the configurations folder on the CD and just mount it. From the mounted and opened disk image you can copy the files to your own new and yet empty volume. That is all. No clicking the install software icon or anything like that!

Edit 2: On the disk image will be the usual folders of a MacOS9 installation, System Folder, Utilities, Apple Extras, Internet, Applications, etc. Drag each of those folders from the mounted disk image onto the icon of your to be boot volume. They will be copied with all the files in it.

Edit 3: What do you mean with "I made a disk copy and it popped up on the os9 desktop,". What disk copy? From what? I am really completely confused about what you are doing. Possibly you make it much too complicated. Everything you need to do is done inside running SheepShaver.
ayzee
Student Driver

Post by ayzee »

Not sure if i did this right, but i am pasting some pics, if it doesnt work out, give me a tip on how to put my pics on the forum, if it does work out then here is my message:
Okay, i have displayed pics of what i am talking about
/Users/adrianzepeda/Desktop/Picture 1.jpg
/Users/adrianzepeda/Desktop/Picture 2.jpg
/Users/adrianzepeda/Desktop/Picture 3.jpg
When i open up my MacHD folder, there is no restore option, where i get
that option is on my reboot cd
/Users/adrianzepeda/Desktop/Picture 4.jpg
ayzee
Student Driver

Post by ayzee »

Not sure if i did this right, but i am pasting some pics, if it doesnt work out, give me a tip on how to put my pics on the forum, if it does work out then here is my message:
[IMG]http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc18 ... cture1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc18 ... cture2.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc18 ... cture3.jpg[/IMG]
When i open up my MacHD folder, there is no restore option, where i get
that option is on my reboot cd
[IMG]http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc18 ... cture4.jpg[/IMG][/b]
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

You should use lower case for the BBCode, which is easy because if you click the Img button this will be inserted automatically:

OK

The "Macintosh HD" image has been mounted (and has a few aliases on the dektop that you can ignore).

Wrong! You need to open (double click) the mounted "Macintosh HD" while it is on your desktop and copy all of its content to MyMac. (What did you put in the trash?)

Even more wrong! Do not use this, it does not work. Copying the content of "Macintosh HD" to "MyMac" is all you need to do and you should be able to restart SheepShaver from MyMac.