3 x SheepShaver

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

3 x SheepShaver

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

With all related files in the same folder with the SheepShaver application, only file names are needed in prefs, no full paths. This makes it possible to run SheepShaver with different MacOS versions without changing settings, even run them at the same time:

daxtsu
Space Cadet

Post by daxtsu »

How do your OS 8 and 9 images have the normal hard drive icons? Mine have always had the older flat images. Any way to change that? :|

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

You know how to copy and paste icons in Mac OS?

Here are HD icons on folders:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/sheepsha ... on.sit.hqx

http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/sheepsha ... on.sit.hqx

(I think the 9 icon was used in 8.5 and later.)
daxtsu
Space Cadet

Post by daxtsu »

Could you please repost the OS 9 one? It's 404'd. :P
Thanks.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Done. The above link should now work.
daxtsu
Space Cadet

Post by daxtsu »

Thank you very much. :)
Thomas J. Rostafinski
Student Driver

3 x SheepShaver

Post by Thomas J. Rostafinski »

With all related files in the same folder with the SheepShaver application, only file names are needed in prefs, no full paths. This makes it possible to run SheepShaver with different MacOS versions without changing settings, even run them at the same time
Is it possible to run SheepShaver in more than one version simultaneously in this manner, but all sharing the same OSX folder ("Unix disk") instead of a different "shared" folder for each?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: 3 x SheepShaver

Thomas J. Rostafinski wrote:Is it possible to run SheepShaver in more than one version simultaneously in this manner, but all sharing the same OSX folder ("Unix disk") instead of a different "shared" folder for each?
That is probably possible, but of course the full path to the shared folder must be entered in preferences. However, I would not be surprised if it would result in file corruption or file loss in the shared folder if multiple SheepShaver applications would use the shared folder simultaneously. I did not try it myself.
Gryffin
Student Driver

Post by Gryffin »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:With all related files in the same folder with the SheepShaver application, only file names are needed in prefs, no full paths. This makes it possible to run SheepShaver with different MacOS versions without changing settings, even run them at the same time:
Interesting!

I wonder if it's possible to do that, but make the folders into "packages"? That way, each would be a single, monolithic file (as far as the user could see) containing an entire, standalone emulated Mac.

I agree with you, too: having multiple emulators accessing the same shared folder (or disk) is a Very Bad Idea. I've accidentally shared the same disk image with SS and BII (or either emulator and Mac OS X) simultaneously, and messed things up right quick!

As an aside, I've taken a different approach to running multiple configurations: I wrote a set of small AppleScript apps that write to the SheepShaver (or BasiliskII) config file and launch the emulator. However, unlike your idea, I can't run more than one copy of SS or BII at the same time.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Gryffin wrote:I wonder if it's possible to do that, but make the folders into "packages"? That way, each would be a single, monolithic file (as far as the user could see) containing an entire, standalone emulated Mac.
Would be a very large package, containing the disk images. Anyway, such packages could not be distributed because of Apple license agreement.

For practical purposes it is of course easy to rename each SheepShaver application according to the emulated OS, paste a suitable icon and place aliases in a convenient place or place them in your Dock.

I mostly use SheepShaver with 9.0.4. Notice that in the Mac OS 9.0.4 folder I have an icon "Mac OS 9". That is a copy of SheepShaver and I have it in my Dock.
Gryffin
Student Driver

Post by Gryffin »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:Would be a very large package, containing the disk images.
True, but convenient for the user. Move the one file icon to move the entire "machine."

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:Anyway, such packages could not be distributed because of Apple license agreement.
Because of the ROM, you mean? True, that would have to be installed. But opening the package is only slightly more difficult that opening a folder. I don't see it as a show-stopper.

The real problem with my idea, as well as yours, is that all the separate version share the same config file, and hence the same RAM, screen size, etc. If only SS & BII were smart enough to look in their own folders for a config file, too, we could truly set up separate virtual machines!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

The windows version does, so maybe it's not that difficult to change.
Someone willing to give it a try?

Cat_7
Gryffin
Student Driver

Post by Gryffin »

Cat_7 wrote:The windows version does, so maybe it's not that difficult to change.
Someone willing to give it a try?
Anybody? Anybody? You in the back? Beuller? Beuller?
m68k
Space Cadet

Questions about the pictures of 3xSheapSahver

Post by m68k »

Dear Ronald,

I have some questions by looking at your pictures to demonstrate three running SheepShavers at the same time.

1. In the folders you have a MacOSHD.dmg file. Is this the disk-file for the "MacOS9HD" disk in the running SheepShaver in the second picture ?
I only have a generic white file-icon without suffix. How than to make it a .dmg-file ?

2. Is that same MacOSHD.dmg in all the folders maybe the reason, why you are able to run several SheepShavers simultaniously and I am not ?
In my case the preferences of my both SheepShaver apps from my two folders have always the same disk-file selected, which in one case is due to the different name not existing in that folder, which leads to a crash.

3. What is that "SheepShaver" file ? Is this the SheepShaver GUI ?

4. Is the "Mac OS 9" file the SheepShaver app ?

5. Do I guess right, that the "Mac OS 9.iso" is just the install CD image ?

Thanks for hopefully answering ?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

1. Just extend the file name with a .dmg extension. You can then also mount the image in MacOSX. If you do that, make sure the the image is never mounted in MacOSX and SheepShaver at the same time, that will cause file system corruption on the image volume.

2. Those are three different MacOSHD.dmg files, only the file name needs to be the same for the prefs settings. One has OS9 installed and mounts as MacOS9HD, one has OS8.6 installed and mounts as MacOS86HD, one has OS8.5.1 installed and mounts as MacOS851HD.
(Note that to make this possible, only the file names are specified in the settings, not the full paths, so that the settings can be identical for all three SheepShaver applications.)

3. That is the SheepShaver application. I use the latest build that does not need the GUI anymore.

4. That is another copy of the same SheepShaver application, with a changed name and a "9" icon pasted onto it. I use that one normally, the icon and name look nice in the Dock. ;)

5. Right.
m68k
Space Cadet

Post by m68k »

Dear Ronald,

thanks for the fast reply. Your answers are exactly what I was looking for.

May I ask one more question ?

If I understood wright, SheepShaver with the legally available Mac OS ROMs (I think 1.2.1 to 1.6) runs well with Mac OS 8.5 to 9.0.4 .
Mac OS 8.0 or earlier ones does not run with this Mac OS ROMs.
But if I would copy an "old world Macs" ROM to a ROM-File, it would run with Mac OS 8 and earlier ? Is this wright ?

By the way, You and Cat_7 are doing a great job here.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Yes, with an "old world" (4MB) ROM file SheepShaver can run 7.5.3 and later.
m68k
Space Cadet

Post by m68k »

Thanks Ronald,

with your information I managed to install Mac OS 9.0.4, Mac OS 8.5, Mac OS 8.1 and Mac OS 7.5.3. . It runs well with your trick to name all the HD-files identical and have each Box in its own folder.

I hope I can find something nice to do with it. So far I am running Rebirth 2. Runs of course not as nice as under a PPC, but might be enough to export all the old Pattern.

Maybe one small question left. How did you get the "Mac OS ROM"-File-Icon to OSX ? With copying from Info-Window in Finder worked well for the HD, Keycodes but did not with the ROM Icon.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

In MacOS, copy the icon from a ROM file and paste it onto a folder. Transfer that folder to MacOSX. In MacOSX copy the icon from the folder and paste it onto the ROM file.
m68k
Space Cadet

Post by m68k »

Okay, it worked, but I was confused as in the colum view the icon appears like the blue "Finder" icon.

Thanks a lot.